This Writer Thinks the Bucs Should Trade For Hockenson

I honestly don’t think Hockenson could fetch a 1st, but you never know, especially a team that may be desperate like the a Bucs. This guy has the Bucs giving up a 2023 1st and 4th for Hockenson.

If we continue sucking this year and end up with a top 3 pick I think you have to get a Franchise QB. With the OLine we have and the weapons, I’d be comfortable starting a rookie QB in year 1. That means you get what you can for Goff. If Darnold can get a 2nd and Wentz two 3rds, Goff definitely has value, especially if his play picks up with Swift and St Brown back. I wouldn’t be shocked to get a 1st for him, but for this exercise let’s figure we snag a 2nd and 3rd from a team like the Colts.

That would give us

3 1sts
2 2nds
2 3rds
2 4ths

With our pick in each round likely being a top 5 pick.

Then cut Brockers, Romeo and Big V. That would leave us with about 65mil in cap space and all those high picks.

1 Like

Man, anything involving a 1st would make it a no-brainer. Since their 2nd would be close to the 3rd, I’d take it.

11 Likes

honestly

with how open the division is, i wouldnt be shocked if the Bucs get super fucking desperate tbh

Brady actually is good with Tight ends, but i dont think Hock is the solution for them

would accept that trade though in a heartbeat

2 Likes

I am not one of the posters who want to move on from Hock. He is a disappointment for his draft status because anything less than HOFer isn’t good enough when picked that high as a TE. That isn’t his fault though. I think he is a top 5-10 TE in the NFL.

With that said, this value would be too good to pass up. He isn’t enough of a difference maker and will be due a substantial long term deal soon enough.

If your the Bucs, Tom Brady may not be back next year at this point. Your team is struggling and you need a shot to the arm. That division is horrendous so they are basically guaranteed a home playoff game. Brady also has a long history of success using TEs and that’s a huge sore spot for them this year. I could see them making a desperate splash.

2 Likes

If offered a first I would seriously consider it but I am in the how can we get better if we keep trading away quality talent…kinda reminds me of shipping out Diggs and Slay.

Imagine team with those two still here!

I think our biggest issue with Hock is we don’t use him as we should and if we game planned him in better he would look better as a result…just my two pennies.

1 Like

The issue with that was cause Patricia didnt like them, and they traded them for peanuts (Diggs got traded for a ■■■■■■■ 5th, a starting safety)

Isn’t the expectation at this point exactly that Brady will be back?

The contract situation and the season outlook both point to this being a prudent consideration for both teams. The question for the Bucs is whether they expect Hock can hold up. There’s a higher degree of risk there than picking up someone like Gronk who has exhibited the toughness required to win in the postseason.

Setting aside everything else, an argument could be made for the Slay trade not being a blunder.

Understand and agree…I was just using it more as, this is the mess we get into when we ship out quality established talent.

Brady wanted out of Tampa this past year, but Ariana and Licht wouldn’t budge. With their struggles and being tight on cap space, I doubt Brady resigns.

How so? Legit question.

Just the money. We had gone up to a certain point in our offer to re-sign and he wasn’t having it. He had a number that Philly would match. Sometimes you have to be willing to move on. That’s definitely a “Patriot way” thing, but all teams will have a point with all players where they just say bye.

2 Likes

I see.

It’s an equation every team has to weigh though, it’s not just us doing it. The Pats get rid of talent all the time, so do the Cowboys, Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Packers. Where we fail compared to those teams is in replacing the talent that left.

But it’s definitely a balancing act, you have to weigh where you are as a franchise vs. the limitations big contracts can bring. The best teams at this really have their fingers on the pulse of their own franchise, they’re excellent self-scouters.

2 Likes

I get that but I think it’s fine to move on when you have talent waiting in the wings. We sorely lack talent across the board so why make another hole in the boat before the others are repaired or we have a plan in place.

Hock is hot/cold but still needs to be accounted for. Imagine with him not here and not having to account for him this allowing DC’s to scheme ASB out of games or Jamo or Swift (when healthy).

1 Like

I thought we made him an offer and he was satisfied to stay here but just really hated Patty so took off because of that relationship not the cash.

I could be wrong…as seems to be a common occurrence, lol.

I’d do it for just the 1st Rd pick.

5 Likes

No sir. He interviewed after the fact and was asked point blank if the Lions had hit his number would he have stayed…. He answered shoot yeah.

But that’s not really the point. It’s just that the team was at a number and he was at a higher number and the team was able to get their comp pick a year early via trade, without limiting what they could do in Free Agency (not that that idiot GMs was concerned with comp picks).

1 Like

My thinking is that while Hock is undoubtedly a talent, we don’t feature our TEs in a way that really allows him to shine. It’s just not how our offense is designed. And that’s fine, it’s the philosophy we’ve gone with and for the most part, it’s working.

So now you have that balancing act, is it worth paying a guy we don’t use correctly? At the right price, sure. But that equation changes when picks are involved, because the possibility exists that you lose him for nothing.

2 Likes

a young pro bowl starting safety. dumbest move in nfl history

2 Likes