Throw it Jared, Go Deep

For those of us that get a bit frustrated at the quick dump offs and so few looks down field. 17th in the league with Chark, Jamo and SB. Take some shots, you might miss a few, but it will loosen the D!

4 Likes

I feel as though he has been recently.

11 Likes

Hit both Chark and Raymond last week deep. Both were 50+ yarders.

4 Likes

A healthy Chark and Jamo in the mix has started to open up deep shots, and Goff is throwing them. Goff is doing exactly what he’s supposed to do. I have no complaints with his play at all.

About a dozen posters will say I’m a hater though!

8 Likes

People’re just making up stuff to gripe about.

First, the stats. According to FantasyPros, Goff is 2nd, not 17th, in 20±yd passes on the season. He has 52, well behind Mahomes’ 66, but ahead of literally every other QB in the league.

Not deep enough for you? Jared is tied w/Hurts in 40±yd passes and one behind Mahomes and TuaT in 40±yd passes. Mahomes and Tua have 12 such passes.

Second, can we agree that context matters? Chark was missing or useless until 4 games ago. Jamo still has only had, what, 20 snaps across his appearances, all in the last three games? Chark alone has 3 40±yd receptions over that time.

To point at a guy who’s LITERALLY among the league leaders in downfield throws and talk about your frustration “at the quick dump offs and so few looks down field” is yet another example of a fan seeing what he believes rather than believing what he sees.

Let’s be clear: the Jared-Chark connection looks great, deep ball and all, as does the Jared-ARSB connection. (And the Jared-Raymond, Jared-TEs, etc.) Any current so-called deep ball connection problem is actually ONLY a Jared-Jamo problem. And the problem there is, 1) Jamo has been on the field for something like 20-25 snaps total; 2) the two haven’t developed much chemistry yet.

None of this is to say that Jared couldn’t and shouldn’t be passing more downfield. Johnson suggests that Goff missed opportunities last game and I take his word for it. But let’s not pretend that this is remotely a big problem. The numbers clearly say otherwise.

8 Likes

Dan must be a hater, calling Goff out again.

1 Like

Woot that’s a long winded post, too bad you read the article wrong. The stats are on the pass being thrown beyond 20 yards, not the YAC.

According to PFF, Goff has attempted the 17th-most passes of 20-plus yards.

3 Likes

The last thing i want is for Goff to be forced out of his rhythm. He’s playing well, taking what the defense is giving him, and taking the occassional deep shot. I don’t want him feeling like he has to force the deep shots.

And I really don’t want to see him chuck a 50 yarder on 4 down when all we need is 1 yard for a 1st down.

3 Likes

Yeah, odd timing for this article.

2 Likes

If they want Goff to go deep more maybe give Jamo more than 11 snaps. Considering what Goff is working with, I’d say 17th is where he should be in regards to attempted deep passes. He’s not throwing to Justin Jefferson or Tryeek Hill.

3 Likes

You should probably read the article linked, Dan was not the one being quoted.

4 Likes

So JG HITS more big-gainers than just about anybody. The thing that so deeply frustrates you is that he didn’t throw enough deep balls earlier in the season when he had nobody to throw to.

Brilliant.

3 Likes

It’s just weird all around.

Their best receiver is ARSB. He’s not a deep-ball guy, certainly not primarily. Their deep ball guys have basically played 4 effective games (Chark) and about 20 total snaps (Jamo). Over that 4-game stretch, I believe the Lions have 5 or 6 40+ yd passing plays. Notwithstanding the personnel issues, on the season, Goff is literally behind only Mahomes in 20+ passes. The Lions have the 4th-highest scoring offense.

Can Goff throw deep more often? Again, I take BJ’s word for it (based on one game). But that, friends, is one molehill of a problem.

4 Likes

I like the thought of chucking it deep and letting Jamo or Chark see if they can make a play on it…but yes, Chark has only played well in the last 4-5 games and Jamo has only played in 2 games with 1 catch…and now his knee is hurt?!?

Khaliff is fast and so is Reynolds but they aren’t #1 or #2 WR options.

2 Likes

Add the defensive numbers - if it was even if the top 15 of league
And lions were winning from it

Goff might be in mvp conversation
Even if he wouldn’t be a favorite to win it

2 Likes

Even the Lions defense could actually stop the opposition it’d be that much more offensive possessions as well. Thus a even higher ranked offense.

2 Likes

Go balls deep Jared!

3 Likes

Kalif is fast, but small (5’8"). Reynold is tall, but not so fast (4.57). And maybe it’s the long legs, but to me he never actually seems to be sprinting.

1 Like

That’s part of what led to Dan calling him the serpent of death. He slithers along and you don’t quite realize what he is doing until it is too late.

3 Likes

Haha oh we know he is!

2 Likes