Titans Fire GM - Despite Being in 1st Place

Don’t see 1st place GM’s get fired very often. The Eagles embarrassed them, but still.

Remember when we fired Caldwell because 9-7 wasn’t good enough? lol

7 Likes

It’s gotta stem from the Brown trade. I remember during the draft that Vrabel had a wtf expression afterwards. Like he was scheduled for an interview and during it he was visibly not ok with it.

Hopefully some guys here can remember his reaction and I’m not having a geriatric moment.

4 Likes

Haha true but Caldwell didn’t win any division titles. This Robinson dude was about to win 3 straight division titles. That aint easy to do.

Imagine a Lions GM won 3 straight division titles…there would be a parade.

4 Likes

Oh I know. I’m just comparing one stupid decision to another. lol

3 Likes

Must’ve been a heck of an on field conversation between AJ and Vrable before the game after all

4 Likes

“Since becoming controlling owner in 2015, my goal has been to raise the standard for what is expected in all facets of our organization. I believe we have made significant progress both on and off the field through investments in leadership, personnel and new ideas. This progress includes the core of our business, the football team itself, which is regularly evaluated both by results [wins and losses] and team construction/roster building. I am proud of what we have accomplished in my eight seasons of ownership, but I believe there is more to be done and higher aspirations to be met,” Adams Strunk said in a statement."

This reeks of “9-7 isn’t good enough”

2 Likes

Not at all.

His draft track record has been terrible. I think something like 6 of his 7 first round picks aren’t even on the roster. Something like that.

2 Likes

Dude took over a team that had 5 combined wins in the previous two seasons before his arrival, had one winning season the previous 7 seasons never making the playoffs. Sacking a GM that is 59-43 over 6.5 seasons (never below 9-7) and will have made the playoffs 5 times during that span after bringing your team out of irrelevance is some Ford level shit.

5 Likes

Quinn held Caldwell accountable for Quinn’s own failings.
Strunk held Robinson accountable for Robinson’s failings.

Aside from that, this is why I think the move was made:

2 Likes

When decisions like these are made, its important to lay blame correctly. And give credit where its due. I’m looking at the Titans and seeing not so good drafts, but really good coaching. But I don’t know the situation truly. I can see some very excellent draft picks years back and not lately, but I can’t help wondering if the owner looked at what the coach wanted and what the GM wanted and decided to go with the coach, or something along those lines.

It is also curious that AJ Brown lit up his former team last Sunday. It was Robinson’s decision to trade him away instead of paying him. And his replacement hasn’t lit the world on fire (Treylon Burks). I do believe that was Robinson’s decision and not something Vrabel wanted.

5 Likes

All I’m saying is that if you fire a GM who has never had a losing season during his tenure with your club, you better have a damn good replacement. Every GM hits and misses on picks, signings, and trades. Not every GM goes 6.5 seasons with a winning record in every season. Especially taking over a team that was 5-27 in the two years prior to their arrival.

3 Likes

I’m with you on that. 100%.

What Quinn said, though, was so … I just don’t even want to think about it anymore, I just finished eating. I’ll end up either regurgitating lunch or a string of profanities.

1 Like

While I agree to an extent, who hired the coach though!?

We shall see what the Titans do moving forward. If the Lions had a GM with a 66-43 record, including 3 more playoff wins and we fired him, I would have a lot of questions.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about this since my original thoughts. You have to wonder if there is more to the story.

2 Likes

This was my first thought.
But hey, finding a good GM is easy. Right?
That owner just laid all future blame on his own shoulders.

2 Likes

Quinn can explain how it played out. In fact, his break is about to come up.

Yea, he also had 3 playoff wins in 6 years. The Brown trade was pretty bad, but gotta be a bit more to the story like u said.

yeah, but we had super-high class GM at that time.
:facepunch: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes