Title IX will apply to college athlete revenue share, feds say

Lot tbd on this whole issue, Investment groups getting involved how is NIL defined; Financial Aid? or not.

Title IX will apply to college athlete revenue share, feds say

Regardless of the adds you have to the article, he brings up points that will have to be addressed. Title IX exists and how is the NIL funds being described?
Also there is no uniformity on how NIL is being handled and this is across the board. What I mean by that is every state has their own NIL rules, conferences have different rules, schools within conferences have different rules at times.

Everyone agrees on paying athletes it’s the how that has to be figured out. Even moreso now some VC groups are getting involved.

So I get your post and agree wiht some of it, it doesn’t change the overall point. There’s a lot that needs to be fixed within this topic and we are a ways from it getting fixed.

This will just lead to a true minor league setup for the nfl where there is no longer a college affiliation. This has always been a discussion around revenue generating sports vs non… in a free market this sort of discussion loses merit and with as weak as the ncaa has become it isnt a significant leap to think we start seeing a more immediate shift to break away from the confines of college oversight.

2 Likes

If it remains college affiliated sure… i just dont see that being the path that is taken

So you are saying that the Michigan Wolverine, Michigan State Spartans, Georgia Bulldogs, Notre Dame Fighting Irish will no longer be involved?
I don’t see that happening at all.

1 Like

I am not saying i want it to happen, the ncaa just isnt very powerful anymore…

It just happened recently in the nba giving players an option to go to the g-league. I think you will see something similar, just more lucrative.

If the colleges want to stand up and keep it together, fine… i just dont see a reality where all college athletes are making money based on government intervention and people like the xfl, usfl, etc thinking “hey we can partner with the nfl make them farm teams with different divisions and make everyone (including the players) more money”.

I think the nfl bites on that and i believe the colleges could be left holding the bag if/when players decide they dont want to minimize their earning potential to wear a school uniform and partially pay for athletes in other sports that a majority of the population dont pay attention to.

I don’t see it happening that way, but who knows.
In essence you are saying that the XFL/UFL whatever it is called will become the Gleauge.

Effectively sure just with nfl endorsement and better talent/advertising. I am certainly that someone is looking at the battles over college athletes getting paid and thinking there is an opportunity to make a profit off of it.

If the nfl endorses another league and we see top talent start to take that route it wont be long till college sports become a history lesson.

Anyways, just my thoughts as college football is a bit of a sham these days anyway and the ncaa has limited to no power to change it. The minute these players and coaches feel undue financial impact, based on the revenue they bring in vs other sports etc, the minute it changes.

Ncaa football is going to sell millions of copies of their new game, were is the womens college basketball game? Right or wrong they have different revenue impacts…

Also, genuinely curious… is there the same pressure to pay the coaches equally across sports or is this just a player thing?

:neutral_face:

This looks like a fun upcoming court case.

2 Likes

Aren’t they all? I suggest we build a theme park card “Legal Land”. The Supreme Court will be a Tower of Terror style ride.

Just proves they will have to become paid athletes that work for the university rather than a student athlete.

Title 9 applies to student athletes not paid employees.

Simply make the football program separate from the NCAA. And they will be their own league where the players work for the university.

At that point title 9 will not apply. Nor should it.

It should be percentage based

Say 20% of revenue.

Mens football makes 100m
The players get 20m total.

Woman’s basketball gets 5m in revenue they get
1m.

There is absolutely NO reason why
Mens football should be getting equal revenue as the womans rowing team.

Example.
Michigan mens football.
$100m++++ revenue. (Likely over $140m for 2024)

Michigan womans water polo
$40,000

Im sorry they dont deserve equal revenue

Agree.

No, they will turn into a semi-pro lower level league at some point, like Independent league baseball.

Go Kalamazoo Growlers!

2 Likes

Nothing beats Michigan Water Polo… haven’t missed a game in decades. :wink:

1 Like

I think you mean the Kalamazoo Bell Growlers

I don’t think anyone disagree’s with which sports drives revenue for universities, that is obvious.

There are reports of certain leagues leaving the NCAA to form their own league with their own rules etc etc. SEC and B1G have had talks, possibly are still having talks, on a new league.

I agree that changes are coming to college sports particularly Football, however, I don’t see the separation from the universities as part of that. We can argue all day on it but those sports drive revenues for majority of sports at every university and that won’t change. The Wolverines, Buckeye’s, Bulldogs, Spartans logo’s, name etc stay with the university. How many students, alumni and more will buy season tickets to this new league? Will THE OSU allow the new columbus team to play in the Horseshoe?

Currently the MAC schools are trying to figure out how to survive with future changes coming, with some of these proposals you add UM, OSU, UGA to the list of universities trying to figure out how they would survive.

2 Likes

The super league is coming.

Basically the power 4 forming their own league for football out side of NCAA.

Yes meaning the group of 5 is going to lose more revenue. But the group of 5 makes less than 1/4th or less than that of the bigger schools.

But just did some quick math.

For Michigan to give 20% of revenue to players. And keep tittle 9 compliant.

Each Woman athlete would get $40,000

Mens (asside from the big3) would all get $20,000
Football would get $90,000
Basketball $60,000
Hockey $30,000

See how thats bass aackwards .

Plus is punishes schools like Michigan that offer 28 Sponsored athletic programs and over 1,200 athletes

Vs a school like Georgia that only has 14 programs and 600 athletes
Meaning Georgia could pay its football players almost $150,000 each and still be compliant where michigan is 60% of that.

1 Like

I would expect, probably foolishly, that a new league would have rules in place for an equal playing field when it comes to the programs and payments to each athlete.

it’s also why this will take a while as the SEC has a whole different way of paying players than most other conferences. The point being no conference or school will want to give up any competitive advantage they currently have.

1 Like

The nfl isnt hurting without a college/alumni affiliation… i assume that a minor league football team with nfl affiliation also wouldnt struggle for viewership, especially if it was replacing college football as a 1 for 1.

Nobody knows what will happen, but i am fairly certain that with players getting paid and title ix getting involved that someone may just “take their ball and go home”. Creating a league with minimum salaries, an extended draft, and affiliation with the NFL could make people some significant money.

Think about watching a guy the lions drafted out of highschool playing on saturday in one of 3 subdivisions of the leagues farm system. I believe it could work regardless of the fallout with colleges. Biggest issue for the UFL for me is lack of affiliation for the NFL. If the panthers was a feeder team for the lions i guarantee more people watch etc.

How is the UFL doing so far?
How did the Eurapean league fare?

I picked those two as I believe both were owned or partially owned or connected with the NFL in some manner.

1 Like