TJ Lang: “Sewell was fantastic today”

I keep Sewell on the left side and put Decker on the trade block.

Watch This Dead Presidents GIF by LooseChangeAnimation

I’m with you but it seems the salary cap won’t allow for it.

I definitely move Decker over. And it wouldn’t be an easy move for him. I get him working on it TODAY. He can work on the footwork and mental reps for the new assignment right now. He’s got at least a month before live bullets at RT.

Sewell is too good to fart around with him at RT. I would be SOL to put a kid with his upside in a place where he’s clearly not comfortable.

1 Like

Agreed. He handled the acid test about as well as possible yesterday. He’s an NFL left tackle, let him play there.

2 Likes

I would too. I think RT would be easier for Decker than Sewell just because of his experience playing OT in the NFL.

Or, if you say Sewell is THAT good, heis more likely to make the adjustment to RT than Decker will. Houston there is still a problem.

1 Like

I want to give Sewell every opportunity to develop into an all pro LT by the time the new franchise QB is in place. He will be fine on the right side, possibly great there. Decker is 28 and by the time the Lions are ready to compete he’ll be in his early 30s. Decker could be a very solid fixture at RT for years to come and I’m not wasting an opportunity to let Sewell be the best player he can be by playing him on the right side and then EVENTUALLY flipping him over to LT to have him start over again. Makes no sense.

Naw, Sewell has the potential to be an elite LT, whereas Decker is strictly above average.

1 Like

Yeah yesterday was the beginning of the end for Decker. He just got Wally Pipped.

Thank You Too GIF by Women's History

2 Likes

Saying it over and over doesn’t suddenly make it make sense. Decker has played more LT than Sewell, less RT than Sewell and played RT alot longer ago than Sewell.

But yeah, should be much easier than Sewell.

1 Like

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L

3 Likes

I mentioned it once before but I think part of their rumored desire to move Sewell back to the right side has to do with the run game. I imagine they were pretty excited about running to the right behind Ragnow, Vaitai and Sewell. Was probably a foundational piece of the offense that they envisioned.

3 Likes

Stop Motion Animation GIF

I thought Decker played RT in college for a couple of years before switching to LT?

Any of the top qbs coming out of college left handed throwers? If so the whole blind side talk could flip. Also i thought i heard a interview with decker where he was talking about the different sides and mentioned that he played right tackle as a freshman at osu. If so he needs to work on his footwork right now while getting that hand to heal and see if he can do it again.

1 Like

Decker was ranked as 5th best pass blocking OT by PFF for the entire season of 2020.

64 tackles start in the NFL.

5 Likes

I bet(sarc) Decker heals up faster than expected from his finger injury…He’s incentivized.

1 Like

If you’re trying to max out your assets, Sewell is clearly a much better prospect than Decker was coming out. Way more upside.

It’s not even close.

Now, if Sewell looked like a natural at RT then you have an argument. He’s looked like a fish out of water there. Why fuck around with a young player like Sewell. Prepare him for the greatness he shows he’s capable of. Decker is a solid player, but his talent is not wasted at RT the way Sewell’s is. Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

Only us (the Lions) would fool around with a potential all pro natural LT and try to make him at RT? Just doesn’t make sense at all. Decker finger was a blessing in disguise; otherwise, this move doesn’t even happen. Sewell would continue to struggle at RT

1 Like