Top of 2nd Round

Like I said before wouldn’t mind him and Romeo Doubs, they have a special conection kinda like Barrow and Chase.

Well the whole system changed with the new CBA that made the 5th-year option less appealing, I’m trying to remember it all. I think one change is the 5th-year option is fully guaranteed now as soon as it’s exercised (May in the 4th year of the current contract, which makes the 4th year guaranteed as well). Before you could rescind it before the start of the 5th year without penalty. That is no longer the case.

And I know it’s on a sliding scale now based upon incentives the player has reached (playing time, pro bowls, etc…). I don’t know if that changes anything fundamentally, but it’s interesting to note that a team could manipulate whether a player reaches those incentives or not, if they wanted.

As for position, it definitely matters but I don’t think it’s a discrepancy between positional respect so much as it’s about longevity. RBs for example are a bad investment past their 1st contract, so maybe you want to control their 5th year as well before moving on from them (like the Chargers did with Gordon). Now I would never advocate for drafting a RB in the 1st (they just get hurt too much), but it’s the sort of positional issue that might come into play re: the 5th year option.

1 Like

I really like watching Matt Corral play. But I don’t see a scenario where he ends up in Detroit.

If I can’t have Corral, I don’t want a Quarterback in this draft. Unless it’s a day 3, potential backup.

1 Like

Not even if you could get Carson strong in the 2nd?

1 Like

I like him as well. We could get him in a trade down, or possibly trade up. If I could get Hutch, KT or Hamilton and Corral would I give up my 1b and 2nd rounder? Probably.

OK…Let’s say that Detroit DOES take a Quarterback in this draft. Do they have a staff capable of ‘raising’ a young Quarterback?? I mean, do the Lions have the type of staff to bring a young QB from a raw rookie to a successful, quality, talented QB that learns and matures under their guidance? Who is it that is qualified to teach this promising young QB and not ruin the guy? A so called Quarterback Whisperer or Guru?

I don’t see how the Lions can take a QB this year. It’s a big decision taking a QB. For me, not primarily because the guy not be the right guy - but because it takes a long time finding out if they are or not. That’s why you have to be sure. Even with someone that you’re pretty sure of it’s a big risk. With someone you’re not sure of and who basically falls down the ladder you’re just increasing the odds that it fails and you’re going to spend 3 years confirming what you always suspected to be the case.

For me, that’s why you have to go all in or not at all.

3 Likes

He is literally a clone of Baker without the team record and the flipping off the other team on the sideline stuff.

Oh shoot this means Dorsey is going to pick him doesn’t it.

No doubt, but are you ready to endure the pain of another season like 2021 to pick in the top 2 in 2022 because that’s probably what it’s going to take to get either one?

1 Like

Depends on who the new OC is for next year, but the odds of him being the next Andy Reid are slim (unlike the aforementioned coach).

Frankly, I think the bigger influence on a young QB’s potential success is having a solid team around him. Let’s remember that guys like Patrick Mahomes, Russell Westbrook, Big Ben, Erin, and Mac Jones went to otherwise solid teams. Mahomes was put at the helm of a team that went 10-6 with Alex Smith. Erin took over a team that went 13-3 the previous year.

I strongly believe that building a solid team that doesn’t need an all-time great at quarterback to compete is the best way to set the table for the future.

We’ve still got resources in 2023 to go get whoever we want.

If 2022 draft and FA resources are spent making everything else better and Goff still seems to be the limiting factor, you can package up the two 2023 firsts to go get a young hotshot. The bonus is you can plug him in right away.

1 Like

Not blowing a second round pick on an if… yet again. Sorry, take someone whom you fell 100% confident can play. Will be a major player for the team for the next 5 years, 10 years.

Hey, welcome to the board! I think it depends, if you’re looking for a starter, perhaps :thinking:. If you’re drafting a backup like the Lions might be looking for this year, I’m all for the sling mud at the wall approach. Get a few and see what sticks. They don’t have to be premium draft picks, draft a couple late, and sign a couple UDFA’s. Give them all the same, basic coaching. Tell them this is the way I want you to play. Give them firm goals, deadlines, and expectations. Let them know that some of them will be gone. See who responds and rises to the challenge. Some of these kids only think they’ve pushed themselves, but a diamond is made by applying pressure.

Todd Mcshay has 5 QBs going in round 1

He’s basically the worst draft analyst out there. Him or Kiper.

Dak made $30.4 million on the franchise tag in his 5th season last year without 5th year option.

When the Cardinals pick up Kyler Murray’s 5th yr option, it is projected to cost $25.6 million because he made a pro bowl in 2020.

Josh Allen could have had a 5th yr option. Buffalo decided to lock him up, and he will make $47 million in cash in his 5th year… and his deal is bigger than Dak’s contract… with the $150 mill guaranteed almost the same as the TOTAL value of Dak’s $160 million.

Lamar Jackson’s 5th yr option is $23 million for 2022, and the franchise tag is projected to be $28.5 million.
Are the Ravens really in a stronger bargaining position on a long-term deal for a $200+ million player because of $5 million???

2 Likes

He’s three times the athlete Baker is too. And his arm’s not quite as strong and he’s not as accurate (as a prospect).

And he played QB in college… so maybe a little biased.

QBs are gonna get taken in round 1 though. It always happens.

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome and reply! I see what you mean and I’m not against drafting a backup in round 5 for instance.

I do though think they need to be careful with the ‘mud sling’ approach. I can see the appeal of auditioning a lot of different potential QBs. But if you chop and change you’re only going to see so much of each option and the problem again is time for me. I’d guess that Goff would respond to the challenge better than say Matt Corral because he’s experienced. Doesn’t mean he’s a better long term solution. Similarly Matt Corral might respond better than Malik Willis in the short term - doesn’t mean he’s a better long term solution necessarily. That’s the problem - picking a QB isn’t like a one-night-stand - it’s more like a marriage because if it’s going to work you have to be sure and then you have to give it time (and it still might not work).

Sure. I’m not really in favor of drafting a QB this year. As it’s been discussed, apparently it’s not a bumper crop of top notch QB’s this year. Maybe next year’s group will be better. Don’t know. My question was posed ‘IF’ they draft one. My question is directed more about the teachers, not the student.