Top of 2nd Round

Is Pickett the reverse Howell?

Wasn’t Howell one of the preseason Heisman favorites? He team lost a ton around him from last year, from what announcers said during games I watched. I think he looked fine. No way taking 1OA. Probably not with the Rams pick either as I fully expect a position player to be sitting there we all want.

Top of two? Maybe, but again, who else is sitting there?

I like the kid, I just can’t get past let fix some of the other holes. The team need playmakers.

If the Lions have a top-two pick in the 2023 draft, it will be because:

(1) Goff couldn’t get it done, even with more talent around him; OR
(2) The Lions drafted a QB in 2022 and threw him onto the field to get annihilated.

#2 is more likely than #1. With some rebuilding, the Lions probably win four or five next season. Hell, they were two 50+ yarders from winning 3 this season. So they only way they get a top-two next year is if they get rid of Goff, and draft a QB this year. And do they draft another QB at that point?

From what I’ve read strong is the clear #1 quarterback in this class of the medical s come back good on his knee. At minimum we’d upgrade our backup quarterback situation. Which has been awful since we let hill walk.

1 Like

The problem with taking a qb in 22 is that the guy either

Flames out and is replaced by a 23 qb so its a wasted pick.

Or

Has not been proven yet. Either just started a few games or showed just enough to not draft a qb in 23.

So unless he is the real deal franchise qb you can not take one in 22.

1 Like

Should I list the so called real deal QB’s that flamed out as a top 10 pick in the last 10 years?
You will never be guaranteed the real deal in drafting a QB. Heck by your 1 year time frame, Patrick Maholmes was a wasted pick based on his first year in the league.

1 Like

I think his point is that the organization must be convinced he is THE guy they want to commit to for the future.

When he gave the “or” in that scenario… it was talking about a situation like the Chiefs had when they sat Mahomes, where the Chiefs wouldn’t have considered drafting another QB a year later because they had an unproven QB.

In the case of Lions… imagine if they draft a guy in lat 1st round who needs to “develop”… but then end up with the top pick in 2023 and a superior QB prospect is available. Then they end with a Rosen/Kyler scenario.

[quote=“Phunnypharm, post:66, topic:13192”]
In the case of Lions… imagine if they draft a guy in lat 1st round who needs to “develop”… but then end up with the top pick in 2023 and a superior QB prospect is available. Then they end with a Rosen/Kyler scenario.
[/quote

And? Cowboys went with a guy by the name of Aikman @1OA, only to use there first round pick the following draft to pick a QB#1.

Not sure this makes for a convincing argument…. considering that drafting Walsh in the Supplemental draft ended up costing them the #1 overall pick in 1990.

The #1 OA pick they could have had ended up netting the Falcons All-Pro OT Chris Hinton, Andre Rison, and the #13 pick in 1991.

edit to add… the pick could have also been used to draft Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau. :eyes:

Dallas built a great team in spite of that move… not because of it.

1 Like

I would honestly be ok with the lions taking a flyer on a guy like Carson strong if he’s sitting there at the top of the second. If they say his knee is good to go he’s a talented player. Worst case scenario he’s an upgrade at backup quarterback. That’s a huge improvement over most of our second round draft picks over the last 20 years.

1 Like

Hmm, I think the record proves Jimmy Johnson had enough smarts to win the SB. The point, he wanted a QB who could help the team get there. He made sure of it by giving up the above mentioned players. A clue as to the importance of a quality QB. The question, do BH and DC think Goff can take this team to the next level? Based on what I’ve seen of JG, NOPE!

1 Like

Thats exactly my point. This is the lions.

They would draft a qb late 1st this year because they needed a qb. Then sit him and pass on a consensus franchise qb in the next draft after sucking all season. But not take him because they took one the year before. That would be a lion move wouldn’t it?

They need to pass on qb in 22 unless they are a million percent sure their guy is a franchise qb. Any doubt you wait till 23 and build up the rest of the team in 22. Of course if one of these guys comes into the interviews and backs up all the on field college work with a mahomes style interview… then you go take your franchise guy… at that point the question is do you take him at 1OA?

1 Like

The only qb I think I’ve seen In 2023 draft so far is DJ ugalala…(sp?)

I honestly think the 2022 qb draft is deeper and looks better as of now

I have removed CJ Stroud as I would never take a OSU qb… and same with Bryce young and alabama

So that leaves ugalala and who? Kedon Slovis?

Maybe we should just wait until 2024?

1 Like

Strange you have Josh Freeman there. Never thought of him as much of an athlete. He was really big. Like Daunte Culpepper big. But not even on the same planet as Daunte as an athlete.

1 Like

2015, and I’d say 2016 if it wasn’t for Dak.

2017 had Mahomes and Watson

2018 had Jackson and Allen

2019 had Murray

2020 had Burrow and Herbert

This just makes me want Derek Carr even more.

Hmmm, I thought I remembered his athleticism being one of his selling points, at least as a prospect. Maybe I’m misremembering, it’s been awhile lol. According to the ras guy he tested with bad speed but elite explosiveness, I’m not sure what to make of that. Well even if you take him out of the list the point holds.

Josh Freeman was a good athlete for his size but not as athletic or fast as Culpepper was. Culpepper was a Dave Winfield level athlete. Good at everything. Freeman could really spin it though. Nebraska had Freeman and Gabbert as their QB commits in back to back years. Both ended up de-committing and signing with rivals. As a result I watched their HS highlights a good bit. Gabbert was clearly a better athlete than Freeman but Freeman threw a better ball and had more arm talent IMO.

I agree.

I have serious doubts about Willis’ processing as well… but I did about Vick, RGIII, and Lamar as well…. because each one of them came from a college offense that was more than happy to take advantage of those physical gifts.

I was watching some of the game today, and I think Hugh Freeze has put more on Willis than those other guys… especially considering that the O line usually looks overmatched.

I plan to watch more when I have time… but Willis is in the top 5 for me in terms of his combination of top level quickness and twitch running… plus elite arm. Not just arm strength either… but quick release, effortless velocity, accuracy on the run, and even touch on shorter throws. I think his pure throwing ability may be better than all of the guys listed above… and he has a quicker release than the OG (Randall Cunningham) of crazy athletic QBs with ridiculous arm strength.

I hope he runs the 40 at the combine… just out of curiosity… but it is already obvious that we don’t need to know what the stop watch reads.

People keep saying Mac Jones is the best QB in this draft and I just think that’s soooo pre mature. His season his not impressive by any means. His numbers are very meh. Wilson/Fields/Lawrence all went to totally different scenarios. And Lance is sitting…

Its possible Mac ends up QB5 in this draft class 3 years from now.

2 Likes

I really like the idea of getting Matt Corral with the rams pick. Unfortunately, he probably won’t be available unless a character issue effects his draft status. In that case DC wouldn’t draft him.

I just have a feeling about Corral being the QB1 of this draft class…but my hunches are about as accurate as Will Ferrells in Land of the Lost.

1 Like