Torkelson Discussion

The funny thing w Tork is he has a 50/60 hit tool, meaning upon assesment in the minors he had an above average hitting tool independent of power, and given his approach fron college(where he was often named the best hitting prospect in the decade) and the low minors, they expected it to be a “plus” tool, where a guy should compete.for a batting title during his peak.

Now, with 1100 PAs in the majors (an amount where hitting traits become enough of a sample size to start having valid oredictive outcomes) , it looks like a 40 tool, at best. Its weird though. He has swing and miss, but not egregious for The New Age of Analytics at 25% K rate, and a solid, above MLBaverage 9% walk rate.

Also this just in…he’s just now 24.

Age 21- 29 HR across low/mid minors. Hit about .270. Prospect profile :heavy_check_mark:

Age 22- Power craters. ISO of a $3m glove first middle infielder. SOme at AAA, which he pounded in the same # of PAs the year before, but most in MLB.
Weird, maybe a “They got the book on you, now adjust” kind of experience.

Age 23- 1st full MLB year 31 HR, but like 22, reallly slow start. Over half his hits left the bat at 95mph+, but he undeperformed his expected value creation, somehow. Launch angle good, lotsa hard hit balls, pull/oppo numbers good. WEIRD.

Age 24- Slooow start with 1 week sample size.

ZIPS projection system, which is pretty conservative, has him the next 3 years hitting 250 with 105 HR. That’s probably the midpoint on his development curve…270/40-45/120 is peak IMO at age 26-27.

Still not a 60 hit tool result though. Scouts get it wrong or is there an issue with Tork’s approach or teachability?

Hmmm…

I’m really happy to see this team winning. Despite negative narrative in recent months, this team has a bright future. So much young talent. Once they show they’re ready is when Chris will supplement this team. Chris gets a lot of flack, but he will supplement and spend when the time is right. Hopefully the team shows us theyre ready sooner rather than later. Tney have to show us as fans, they have to show Chris. Show us.

I call him “Big Tork”…

1 Like

I dont know how to do the Tigers tag and posts, but i wanted to mention and say this to you guys:

I watched him for Colorado tonight…

Ryan Feltner, Colorado

97mph on the black strikeout. He was on fire tonight. He is a late bloomer with bad stats. But this guy can throw the baseball. He is a talent. Hope we trade for him on the cheap. We could turn him into a star in Detroit. He is ready.

Go get him for cheap. He is ready to become something.

A closer?

Middle relief?

Starter?

He can be a star here in Detroit.

Get him outta the Colorado offensive ballpark.

Go get him now.

He can throw.

Ryan Feltner line tonight:

6ip, 2 hits, 1 Earned run, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts.

He was on fire. Joy to watch.

I saw his 97mph pitch that painted the corner…

Told myself…“ok…this guy might be good”…then i went into my kitchen…:laughing:

Imagine being the best baseball player in your state and getting drafted in the 25th round…

That’s Ryan Feltner.

I can get him to hit at least 100mph. Maybe over that.

His delivery…gotta sink the hips and explode and push/explode off the mound…then follow through…

He doesn’t do that and isnt doing that.

He can hit 100mph easy.

1 Like

Two of the scouts I knew when Tork was drafted felt he would never reach 1OA status. They projected him as average bat long term and he is a first baseman only in the field.

Tigers will have some options for first base with a few other prospects coming up that can hit, JHM being one.

I will text them and get their reasoning as I don’t recall what it was.

1 Like

I saw Feltner’s line last night too, as my NL only dynasty team’s pitching is getting deeestroyed and I need options.

Rockies starter is automatically radioactive for fantasy…but Im desperate.

He looks like he could be interesting, and Monfort isnt the worst owner only because there are the A’s…but…

Feltner is a late bloomer, and his peripherals are getting better, and at age 27, the Rox are gonna own his peak production for next to nothing over the next 5 years…and they think guys like Senzatela are valuable? This guy shouldnt go anywhere.

The Orioles AAA team is averaging 12 runs a game so far. 12. They have more blocked prospects than the As have legit major leaguers. Lets go get one of those guys with out pitching depth.

Looks like they may be right. It doesnt make him invaluable or a bust, but it may mean that you are batting hom 4th or 5th and Keith 2nd or 3rd based on hit tool/ob% if Keith looks like the guy he did in the minors.

Greene
Jung
Keith
BIG FA RF Santander?
Tork
Carpenter
Baez
Rogers/Kelly
Meadows

As 25 opening lineup? 26 replace Meadows w Clark and Baez with THE belle of the 25-26 class Bo Bichette? Ok. At that point they are paying Scooby big, but no one else really besides Baez’s dead money.

I like targeting Santander as the trade in 24 or FA for 25 in RF/DH as the Os have a ton of prospects they needs spots for that are more in their long term plans. Switch hitter, good target for a 4 yr deal to capture his late prime. Marginal defender, but I dont think they want to go Soto level on FAs and he will give you solid production at a decent FA price. Lengthens the lineup.

Curious to see if McGonigle stays at SS, sneaky good pick with the money they saved on Clark’s deal.

1 Like

From what I saw, he is pressing.