Travon Walker visiting Lions

This would be the kind of environment that would work well with Davis at LB, no?

But I’m not rooting for Georgia’s defense.

I watched a lot of Georgia games and I’m just not sure how he translates to being the #2 overall pick. Can he set the edge…yes. Can he beat the OT on 3rd and long…not so sure.

2 Likes

To Brad Holmes - “Game Changer” - criterion, I dunno that any of the edge rushers meet that criterion. KT is dynamic but college schemes held him to 19 sacks in 30 games. Granted Walker was half as productive by that same measure, but his scheme didn’t ask him to be the attack rusher on most plays.

Sauce or Hamilton might meet the instant game changer criteria but we’re leery of high picks on DBs.

The Holmes regime also believes in Draft and Develop. From that perspective, KT, Walker, Hutch and even Ojabo (in Rd2) all have really high RAS (which was a common denominator last draft).

Honestly man, we’re all reading tea leaves right now. But this coaching staff has shown they can get the best out of young players.

3 Likes

And this is why I am not overly worried about some of the character concerns that some have on KT. I think we have a very relatable coaching staff who guys will play for and improve under and he would likely thrive in Detroit.

I think Walker has the tools to be really effective but he needs a lot more polish and definitely more time/technique before his pass rushing chops are where they need to be.

4 Likes

Yote you need to go back a watch the tape. This guys is not talking about just sacks he talks about one on one wins and none have less wins then Walker.

“Walker’s climb to a likely Top 5 pick is one of the more unlikely rises I’ve seen in my time studying draft prospects. The junior notched just 9.5 sacks in his college career. Almost all of those were due to coverage or quarterbacks stepping up into his lap in the pocket. I’ve never seen an edge rusher destined for the Top 5 with less pass rush wins than Walker on tape. There are several layers to his evaluation, but it is hard for any draftable edge defender prospect to go an entire college career without more than a handful of one-on-one wins. Let alone a Top 5 pick”

Walker reminds me of Rashaun Gary. Freak athlete, does a lof of good things on the field, but if you want the pure edge rusher, take KT. With Walker you are probably better off sliding him inside on passing downs next to a hopefully improved Levi O and bringing pressure off the edges with Harris and Okwara. Walker will generate his pressure with stunts.

Just depends what kind of player they want for our defense.

1 Like

9.5 Sacks for the Pack in 2021…Just sayin.

1 Like

If im drafting a pass rusher in the early first round and after his 3rd year he still hasnt had a double digit sack year, im considering that a bit of a disappointment. Now if he excels at other aspects of the game like stopping the run and being generally disruptive, i’ll take those 9 sacks and be very happy with their contribution.

1 Like

At this stage, if you’re drafting Walker, you’re placing greater emphasis on “What Could Be”, instead of prior results. The IDEA of what someone with Walker’s physical attributes and mental acuity/desire/mental makeup is persuasive for many. Adding Walker to the DL may have a “Synergistic Effect”, enabling others to “Get Home” to the QB faster. Adding Pressure, too. Walker’s ability to chase down scrambling QB’s is ahead of Hutch and only slightly behind Thibs, IMO. Walker has more upside than all, IMO. But it may take a season or two to reveal itself. At this stage of the rebuild, I would not have a problem with that, if the payoff is similar to a Donald or Parsons for different reasons.

If Hutch is unavailable, and lacking a trade down, it comes down whether MCDC puts his trust in MC to develop Walker or go with the more polished Thibs, who has his own problems short term & long term. Also, there is a quality of competition (SEC vs PAC 12), and team responsibilities to consider (Georgia vs. Oregon), too…I will be happy with either pick. Thibs is the safer pick. Walker has more risk but higher upside, IMO.

2 Likes

Gary is a very good player, but he wasn’t much of a factor until the season just gone, which is his third in the league.

At this juncture can we afford to spend the 2OA on a guy who isn’t going to make a significant impact until 2024?

If we were a top 16 defense I think you could take the risk and wait for the medium/long term pay off. But we were 30th last season, we need impact makers now

And 28 QB hits. Gary was terrific last year, his first full year starting.

Could be the scheme he was in, some coordinators want you to attack the quarterback while others want you to defend the run.

1 Like

Justin Rogers thought one reader’s comparison of Walker to Ziggy Ansah was apt.

Ansah played a similar role for BYU, often sliding in to DT. He had 4.5 sacks his senior year in college. That’s it.

Nonetheless, due to his physical attributes, he developed into a dangerous pass rusher (when healthy).

I think I’d rather have the DeMarcus Ware type guy (Thibs), than Walker, but that’s just me.

I havent posted in a long while. I likely wont respond to anything.

However, i have been lurking. And seeing the talk of Travon Walker and some posters downgrading him based on production got the best of me.

Walker did what he was asked at Georgia. He wasnt ever really let loose.

Travon Walker is a fantastic prospect. He is a guy that as a 43 DE would be a star player. He has a higher ceiling than Cameron Jordan as a 43 DE.

Walker does have some polishing up to do. Year 1 he would likely would draw some Lions fans to complain.

What Walker has is fantastic explosion and speed to power. Look at his combine number and vertical leap for the explosion verification. While it may not show up on tape a lot, he did what he was asked at Georgia. He didnt play in a scheme like Hutchinson.

I am gonna simplify my thoughts on Travon:

1. Fantastic Athlete

2. Explosive

3. Long arms (his long arm is deadly)

4. If hes is strong enough to bump inside at play 3 tech…which he is…he will be very strong as a 43 DE…

5. He has speed-to-power, which is the basis for all great DL and pass rushers.

He does need some polish and is raw…but the kid will make it. He will develop. It all starts with frame/arms lenght, explosion and speed to power…

He has that.

Take in mind, the Lions could have signed Tavon Bryan and made him a 43 DE…and developed Bryan into the next JJ Watt…

But there may be some questions on how much Tavon actually likes football. He just seems like a goofball…and is content with the amount of money he has made already and doesnt care about being a Hall of Famer. Nothing wrong with that. But that is my suspicion as to why the Holmes didnt look to sign him. Todd Wash also has inside info on him. Bryan is an eccentric guy. As i said, he seems content on just what he is right now.

But Walker…if he really wants to be great…he has all the tools. For those that say he is isnt bendy… well… he can bend. He has the athleticism to do it. He just needs to be able to play 43 DE only and hone that craft. Run and bend around some hoops…he can easily do it.

But…it may take 2-3 years to see him really start to come on. But when he does…as a 43 DE his floor is:

Rock-solid run defender.
10 plus sacks
Lots of pressure

He is wayyyy stronger than Hutch.

I am a UM slappy and want the lions to steer clear of Hutchinson.

I will also say, i watched an interview on KT when he was at the Super Bowl. He was on a panel with Ray Lewis. I dont think KT really loves football. But that doesnt mean he wont be a great player. He is just doing it as his job. Multiple times he said on air "ya know, you get into pads and youre running around and you say to yourself ‘i hate this’…

I just dont think KT really knows who he is or what he wants in life. I think he wants to set his family up. Will that be enough for him to be great?

My top 3 propects for the lions in no order is:

Jordan Davis (controls the LOS and pushes the pocket…very good athlete for his size)

Ikem Ekwonu (controls the LOS …love this guy…)

Travon Walker (controls the LOS and great athlete…speed to power…where it all starts)

I hope everyone here and all lions and most importanly, Brad Holmes, the front office, ownership, etc…

Just live with taking the BPA regardless of position. Youre picking 2nd in the draft. You take the BPA regardless of what you did in past drafts or anything else.

Take BPA and if a trade needs to be made because of a gluttony of talent at a position, then so be it. Dont get cute. BPA.

For an example, if the Lions took Jordan Davis at 2 (who is very much worthy of that pick IMO)…Levi O. could slim down and play 43 DE (which is actually where i saw him playing majority of his snaps anyways when we drafted him…then he showed up 20lbs heavier than what i saw on film when he was at Washington)…

Or we could say if we take Ekwonu…Well, Big V only has a year left on his contract. I would say we wont be re-signing him and will likely release him after his coming season. I dont care if he is an expensive backup this coming season. The Lions arent winning the super bowl next season…(sorry guys…hope i am wrong)…i will say I view Ekwonu as an OG and not and OT. But i view him as a pro-bowl OG. That is invaluable to me. Control the most inportant part of the field. Him lined up next to sewell should in theory, be unstoppable.

Just take the BPA. You cant go wrong. You can adjust later. I just hope the Lions FO takes the BPA at every pick, regardless of what picks they made last year or what potential they see in “so-and-so”…Take BPA and adapt or make a trade of some sort later.

EDIT: sorry, had to leave this…I hope everyone finds meaning for their life. You have to find it. If you dont, your purpose in life is meaningless. Youre a nothing. And that is not a criticism to anyone, as i myself have no meaning for my life. The bad part for me is i dont believe in God, or any God or higher power. I refuse to live under dogma. Its a simple fact. If you dont have a meaning for your life, how arent you meaningless?

5 Likes

So they asked him to loose all them one on one battles ?

1 Like

Glad to hear from you brother!

Means death has yet to call our names!! :crazy_face::+1::heart::pray::upside_down_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.