Trent Dilfer: Tua "the finest QB prospect I ever evaluated"

I just got a chill…

2 Likes

Bevell gets a lot of credit for Wilson , I guess it is deserved . No evaluation is needed on Tua , nothing to evaluate at this point , what he put on tape in College is not relevant any longer …

If Tua was going to be the 1st overall pick pre injury (That’s debatable) and he only drops 4 slots and is drafted by Miami or sooner and he accomplishes this with his injury and a metal plate and screws and a device limiting his inner hip rotation …he is a magician . That GM is either extremely desperate or has an owner saying do it and do it now because he says so.

2 Likes

I know this might sound shallow and uninformed. But I just can’t trust any QB from Alabama, no matter how good they may look on Saturdays. None of them ever amount to much in the NFL.

1 Like

Of all the QBs that could be available at three… this guy is not in my 1% list.

He is a risk

I hope the best for him but not as a lion :lion:

1 Like

I’m no expert but with the new technology these days, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he gets close to 100% come pro day.

Maybe he will have a cyborg hip and be better. :grin:

He is having a throwing session supposedly at some point …okay great how about the hip ? If he is not not doing the other work it answers no questions and even if he did do the other work …(he wont be) it would answer nothing as far as long term or if the other issues are waiting around the corner.
Others have said we have no idea exactly what injury he had one place says this the other says that …blah, blah , blah

What we know for sure …He completely dislocated his hip , that shit did not pop out and back in on it’s own, and it had to be reduced and was at the stadium. The agony he must have been in is unthinkable. This alone makes his injury different than any other player ever to sustain this injury at the NFL level . Bo claims to have popped his slightly dislocated hip back in himself. Doctors said it was just a hip strain which was nonsense, Bo’s had to have been similar to Mosley , neither had surgery for the dislocation at the time . Bo’s surgery was way after the injury happened.
Mosley injury was a pop out and in , one motion scenario , the equivalent of a hyper extension , his the least of the three .

What we know for sure with Tua …the head of his femur bone fractured his hip significantly …How do we know this? …Tua himself told the world post surgery he may never be the same and that the metal he has implanted in his hip is designed to limit the inner rotation of the hip. According to my Ortho Surgeon friend, This means the injury and the damage was so bad, the structure of the hip was compromised from the stand point of his body alone not being able to hold his hip in any longer with any confidence . That is the only time a limiting device of this nature is implanted .
What else does this mean?
He lost bone, never mind the fracture that in the hip will require a plate and screws to hold it all together, it also means his hip was surgically dislocated again after it was reset at the stadium post injury, this is done in order to put all the metal in and is done to remove the fragments that get caught in the socket after a blind reducing that involved a fracture , they reduce the hip quickly in order to limit the possibility of a AVN , but at a cost …and in his case had to have it all done again and worst case scenario was present , fractures and the device he has now was implanted the fix …all of this and that does not even bring in the possible AVN and blood supply loss , and long term arthritis or damage done done to ligaments and soft tissue.

This guy is such damaged goods, and with no precedent set as far as anyone else ever playing after this … it’s scary.
Availability is everything , guys dropping Draft rounds like flies because of anger issues/ violence or Drug use as if any NFL team truly cares about those issues , it’s the availability to play that they are concerned with and suspensions …
Tua is a QB so he will get extra consideration but his availability is in serious doubt .

I think the whole Tua early thing is media driven and not real , a feel good story of a come back , how far will he slide draft day headline …When a team says I’m taking him and his name is announced… I will believe it then and think myself at the earliest it will be second round selection or maybe a team like Miami with the second of the first 2 draft picks in the first or a Patriots selection to try and strike lightning with a Tua pick … Kraft has balls .

This Tua crap brings me back to the Den and the arguments I had over Marcus Lattimore RB, back in 2012 or 13 …This guys last injury was so bad …he would be a bust of a pick and never play, you do not waste a pick on a guy with the type of injury he sustained it was underrepresented. Every draft article was how this guy was different, he would be a steal …Dr James Andrews saying he was on schedule for a full recovery etc, etc etc …full recovery does not mean you will again be an elite athlete . …I was told see the 49ers took him in the 4th …He never played a single snap in an NFL game.

I do not think anyone would disagree that he’s a gamble.

But … if healthy he’s the best QB in this class and he is a clear number 1 prospect. He’s the type of prospect that can turn an organization around. Think Peyton Manning and what Indy was before him. He’s that good and I think if there’s a decent chance he could return to form that someone will take that gamble. It wouldn’t shock me if he went first overall to be honest.

This is why I think the Lions should be diligent and take a serious look at him. This is why I think teams may buy into the fact that the Lions could indeed draft him and hopefully be willing yo pay a premium to trade up. The more buzz around Tua the better it is for the Lions. That much is clear.

It does occur to me that their WR corps would probably be top-10 in the NFL. At least top-15.

And I watched Willis McGahee have the nastiest knee injury I ever saw in his bowl game, and go on to have a great, productive 10-year NFL career.

2 Likes

FYI - Tua announced yesterday that he plans to participate in the scouting combine to prove he’s healthy.

Oh boy is the hype going to go off the charts
Tua posts here on a regular basis until draft day
IFF the kid somehow overcome the injury issue he will go high
And the Lions need to seriously consider the kid
Seems more likely that he will slide until someone decides it’s worth the risk
Tough tough decision

I wouldn’t be shocked if someone traded up to two and Tua and Burrows go one two in the draft. Young then falls to the Lions.

I think if Tua shows a lot of promise the Lions will either get Young (because Washington traded out) or get a fair trade offer to trade down.

He is having a CT scan and MRI on Monday that will be 3 months from the injury.He said if things look good which from the MRI’s up to this point have shown that its healing properly he can start running!!No way he makes it out of the top 5 if his medical checks out.

Wasn’t he the one who kept Gore on the bench? Nope he was from S. Carolina with severe knee injuries in college and in camp.

Wasn’t he the one who kept Frank Gore on the bench?

They also said doctors had to damn near amputate Teddy Bridgewaters leg and said he might never play again.Todays medicine and technology is light years ahead when Bo got hurt.

1 Like

Very true - Also Bo’s injury was miss handled on the sideline which lead to him developing AVN. Today’s sports have quality team doctors on site. How injuries are immediately handled makes all the difference in an injury like this. By the time the combine rolls around if Tua has AVN (Like Bo) then teams will know and his career over. But if he’s clear and participating in workouts than that’s another story and I think teams will be willing to take the gamble.

That’s McGahee

It’s starting to look like a lock that the Lions will trade down if Tua participates in the combine. I agree the guy is an unreal talent. His accuracy and spin on the ball are at an elite level.

Most likely Miami will grudgingly pay the Lions ransom because they’ve been tanking all year for a QB and have the draft ammo to do it.

I’ll also be ecstatic if Washington trades out of the #2 spot and Chase Young falls to Detroit. Either way this could be a monumental off-season for the Lions. Imagine Young and Dobbins/Taylor added to the team. Game changers!

Tua is not participating at the combine , Tua announced he is going to the combine so he can be seen by Doctors. In his words " Win My Medical "

Technically speaking he is participating…He will do nothing as far as working out or competing .

It’s more of the same from the media , "Tua announces he will participate at the combine " What???

That’s a great headline . Sounds so much better than the truth which would have read

“Tua announces he will let doctors medically check out his hip at the combine but will not work out or compete against his peers”