Trey Lance

Just curious what you guys think about Trey Lance.
How is this dude not beating out Jimmy G?
(I know he’s starting this year, but what’s up w/this dude?)

You guys believe in Lance?
You think he will be a good/great starter?

Pretty sure he did beat out Jimmy G but the 49ers just didn’t want to let him go for nothing.Plus they are a team that can get to the Super Bowl in the NFC so a good back up is smart.I think he is going to have a up and down start but in A Shannahan offense he will flourish.

3 Likes

He was anointed the starter for this season. They expected to be able to trade him this off season then JG went and had surgery on his shoulder, killing any potential deal at the draft.

They spent three firsts on Lance.

Edit to clarify they expected to trade JG. They anointed Lance.

4 Likes

WOW!

Do you believe in him?
You think he’s gonna be a good/great starter?

Here is the 49ers schedule.

I see 4 really tough games in the first 8 weeks before the bye week… so if the 49ers lose all of those games plus 1 more against somebody like Carolina on the road… they would be 3-5 going into the bye week.

If they are 3-5…. I think there will be a lot of pressure to go back to Jimmy G.

2 Likes

I don’t know if he’s ready to take that team where JG led them last year.

I’m not sure the team is fully convinced he’s ready either, hence the return of JG.

1 Like

He is #1 on my overhyped list.

3 Likes

He has been #1 on mine before he was drafted, when he was drafted, and since he’s been drafted.

3 Likes

I do not like my QB to be in the mold of a Trey Lance.

But personally, if you are a fan of that type of QB, Lance is extremely intriguing. Very high ceiling for that type of QB. If you believe in Lamar Jackson, you should love the prospect of Trey Lance.

1 Like

Because neither of them worked out at the combine or pro day?

2 Likes

Same same

2 Likes

Trey Lance had the ideal rookie season. He sat behind a seasoned vet and saw how you go deep into the playoffs.
No pressure.
Just learn.

1 Like

Shanahan has had seven captains the last two years. This year he only took six. Said that “Lance came in 7th in the voting but I didn’t want to go with seven.”.

3 Likes

“Meet or beat the minimum standard. Then we’ll talk.”

1 Like

I think people overestimate how much Jimmy G did on the field. If Shanahan can get the TEAM to play at the level he normally does, he doesn’t need much from his QBs.

This year he threw for 131 yards with 0 TD and 1 INT…and was rewarded with beating the Packers and moving on to the NFC Championship Game. Last year he threw for 77 yards and 0 TDs…and was rewarded with beating the Packers and moving on to the Super Bowl. Hell, ironically he threw for 131 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT…and was rewarded with beating the Vikings and advancing to the NFC Championship Game where he beat the Packers with only 77 yards passing to get to the Super Bowl.

The 49ers needed Jimmy G to win because their backups were David Blough level guys. Not because Jimmy G is a miracle worker. Jimmy’s level of play proves that Kyle doesn’t need much to win. And while I have my doubts about Trey Lance, I feel like people are going to hold him to a significantly different standard than Jimmy G.

2 Likes

Lance was there last year with Shanahan. They went with JG.

1 Like

JG was there last year with Lance. They went with Lance this year.

2 Likes

They were trading or cutting JG because they had Lance.

They renegotiated JG’s contract to ensure he stuck around.

They named six captains. They normally name seven. Lance was number seven.

1 Like

Jimmy G…the greatest backup QB of all time.

2 Likes

When you trade 3 first round picks for a guy, there’s pressure to get him on the field, esp when he wasn’t the guy last season. You really shouldn’t be thinking about sitting a guy for a year when you spent like that. From Day 1 I thought it was a mistake, still do, so it’s sink or swim at this point. It was really smart to renegotiate JG for both parties because they were so close to the SB last year. Either Lance steps up or he doesn’t but a Rams loss gave them some breathing room. If Trey steps up it means that a trade is still possible for a team that is contending that losses a starter. If he doesn’t, well, you can go back to what has worked. The 49ers need to be all in here, keeping that team together is huge for this season, because there’s going to be some big contracts coming up that will force their hand on some key players like Bosa.

2 Likes