Trinity Benson Injury Settlement?

Yes, so does Benson’s injury settlement.

Players waived with injuries can get kind of ugly. But how I understand it is:

• The player is usually upset because the team wants to get rid of them while they got hurt fighting for the team.
  • Second, the team’s doctor puts a severity on the injury, the shorter the recovery time for injury, the smaller the cash payout, again upsetting players.
  • Third, player can get a second opinion.
  • After the second opinion, the Agent(player) and team have a week (or 5 days) to come to an agreement, if they can’t agree on settlement, the player reverts to IR.
  • Player is paid his weekly salary while on IR and the player is then treated at the team facility until he can pass a physical, once he does, he is waived(released). Everything is done.
  • I’m not 100% sure how the cap charges go, but some of it is charged this year and it’s reconciled in February and an adjustment is charged(credited) to 2023 cap.

Lion Fans who whine about late round draft picks need to look around since 2028 to 2020 New England has cut

3 first round picks

4 second round picks

6 third round picks

Facts an not only team who miss this past draft Vikes had 11 picks an have cut 6 of those picks an we hhave people complaining about late round picks

Thank you - I noticed 4 of the players have reverted to IR and now not eligible to play this year. I knew that got paid their salaries but was not sure how it impacted the CAP.

Seems like this is being kept very quiet…can’t find anything on how he got hurt.

2 Likes

We saw how well Benson adjusted on the fly when he was traded to us at the end of training camp. Other teams saw that too, so signing Benson in mid-season and expecting immediate results is crazy.

Using your 5 game/week 11 example, if there anything wrong with the Lions telling Benson we’ll pay you the 6 “missing” weeks salary if you wait for us? He’s on a minimum salary, he was open a lot in TC and missed by our backup QBs, he’s groomed for our system, he’s still young, and Chark may well not be with us after his prove-it year.

Imma gonna start our new 500 post thread “Uhh…Welcome Back Trinity Benson”.

2 Likes

Desperation will make men do funny things.
What wasn’t “smart”, was thinking we could roll with Williams and Perriman.
That move, all by itself, tempered my excitement.
I totally understood the Benson trade. A team in financial trouble trying to fix a ■■■■ up (x2).
Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it turns into 3 ■■■■ ups.
Lets hope it’s not 4.

1 Like

I suspect he didn’t actually sustain a serious, or even legitimate injury. He played until the very end of the game.

I think this was a way for the Lions to essentially cut him, hope he didn’t get claimed on waivers, and place him on IR. There may be some more clarity within the next few days.

From the player’s perspective - I suppose they wouldn’t argue too much because 1) if released they will be released within 5 days and get a few extra bucks in their pocket or 2) They still receive their pay while on IR (nice to be paid while not working very hard, I suppose?)

1 Like

thanks @radiofriendly. i guess we’re taking advantage of a loophole.

1 Like

LOL - Yup. How well they do is on the QB and the WR. I remember the Manning brothers talking about how amazing it was that Matt and OBJ were able to be even as effective as they were, and that OBJ was not a fully operational weapon. They said OBJ would have been WAY better if he had come in preseason and developed the timing and knew more of the playbook.

This example should teach us not to flake next year and beyond. Now we can see how sneaky Holmes is and that we will get the guys we want more often than not. Next year, we don’t get to flake leading up to …or even after cuts, because it literally means nothing…dudes they want are coming back in another way, and cuts are not really cuts, until someone is actually on another team’s roster.

If Holmes somehow snags a starter or quality backup with Denver’s 2023 6th Rd pick conveyed in the Benson trade, then the fact that Benson didn’t work out will be a wash.

Williams would have been just fine. That was just terrible luck and a bit of a cheap shot that ended his career. I don’t fault Holmes for that. Trading for benson was just a shot in the dark to try and upgrade a horrific receiver room. If he works great if not then he could still help on special teams. Which he’s good at.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.