Try what you want, Dan Campbell, but Detroit Lions aren't good enough. That's on Brad Holmes

Evan Brown surely goes and tests the market in FA. He is more than good enough to be a starting centre in this league. Surely he goes somewhere else to be a starter or get a multi year deal than re-up here to be a back up.

1 Like

There was a time when Tepper didn’t buy penny stocks.

Elliott is a healthy scratch for the second game in a row. I have to believe he’s not having it.

And Baker aint much better.

We might want to consider keeping him and having him start here at guard. Big V is always hurt it seems, he will likely be cut.

I don’t know who to blame. I think Aaron Glenn is a pretty obvious person to blame currently just because its clear that whatever he was doing in the Seattle game was bad defensive strategy and he should have made adjustments. No, I am not calling for his head just yet.

I think some of the blame could be blamed on Holmes, but I also think we need to see Holmes vision play out more than it has.

Without assessing blame, what the Lions really need is a couple of superstars. Like honestly what scares anybody matchup wise about the Lions? Yeah, they will run it down your throat. I suppose that is their biggest strength. Still have trouble getting the 3rd and one though. And they have some above-average guys here and there. But they need a matchup problem. They need guys you have to game plan around on defense or they will make you pay. Those guys are hard to find, and playing it safe in the first round doesn’t always get you them. And whiffing entirely in the 2nd definitely doesn’t get you them either. And sometimes, you just don’t have the draft position to get those guys. I believe the next step here is to find a way to get some of those guys.

2 Likes

Agreed. I thought this was the biggest issue from the Bob Quinn era. He landed several solid players, but no stars. Absolutely 0 game changers during his era.

I have to say, I kind of thought Holmes was doing that. I consider Sewell a star. I consider St. Brown a star. I’m optimistic on Jamo and Hutch…obviously the jury is out on those two though.

I agree though - This is what the Lions need most of all on both sides of the ball. Seems kind of obvious, but I do think it’s what they are missing.

The Detroit Lions have to be the worst NFL team in the league.

Before the season started (Hard Knocks Baby!!!) half this board was talking playoffs. And obviously thought our team was at least “average” to be doing so.

That or else they were convinced Campbell was such an incredible coach he could take a below average team to the playoffs :man_shrugging:t2:

That aint true brother!!! Maybe 10% thought that, but most people had them at 6 or 7 wins, which was also a dream.

1 Like

Yea 10% is more accurate

It was just a vocal 10%

2 Likes

And after 5 games, now we are talking about who we will be picking first overall in the draft. haha

1 Like

Shocked

1 Like

Let’s say Dan goes for it in Minny and we get it. If we’re 2-3 are we even having this conversation about Brad?

1 Like

Guilty….prior to seeing hard knocks I had them at 5 wins. But because of DC and how I perceived that he had the players buying in….I said they could make the playoffs

1 Like

I think the point is that he gave Campbell those two as a choice. Don’t you?
Flip a coin. Chances are you lose.

Patterson did fine last year, doing fine this year. Not sure where you’re coming up with you lose.

Campbell chose badly.

1 Like

Steelers signed Jack…. Lions couldn’t even afford half of Jack Shit.
:smirk:

1 Like

I believe that neither option stood out enough to take control of the position. Both were okay players with big flaws. That’s why they were neck and neck according to DC. That, I believe is on Holmes to find good options, either through the draft or FA.

I think they made a mistake not keeping Patterson. Like a lot of folks here did. It wasn’t a real competition. They (being the coaching staff) seemed to have their mind made up before camp. Nothing was going to change it short of an injury.

Patterson would have been more than solid enough until they could find another legend. I mean that as several years of solid kicking while looking.

1 Like