Turns out we didnt play prevent in the 4th

It wasn’t prevent. It was the lack of blitzes to bring pressure when it was obvious the Dline was gassed.

If that shit wasn’t prevent, we are really screwed!

1 Like

There were a lot of people claiming prevent was what did us in, so I was just leaving it here to clarify.

1 Like

I clearly saw only 3 men on d-line in 4th quarter and LB’s looked like they were playing pass coverage.
I’m not watching any film or the game again, but someone else could probably see the same thing.
No pressure on a rookie QB was a mistake.

3 Likes

My question is, why is the very deepest position on the team getting gassed late?

1 Like

Flowers, Harrison, and Daniels were all late comers in TC, they just weren’t physically ready to play that many snaps. So, my question is, why didn’t the Lions keep a 7th DL guy like Loewen for the first few games until the big guys were up to snuff. We shoulda had another guy rotating in, and we shoulda been taking all the time we could on offense and made sure to stay in bounds. Until the OT of course.

4 Likes

Whether you call it prevent or not, they certainly became less aggressive.

Also not sure why our defensive genius head coach couldn’t figure out how to defend those rub routes.

3 Likes

Prevent or none wasn’t the issue… Pressure went from super high rate and effective to NONE at the snap of a finger. And that was near the end of the first half. And that isn’t just from fatigue.

2 Likes

That is just what fans claim happened whenever we give up a lead

This is much more accurate. Maybe blitz less to not leave yourself vulnerable to a big play. But that is a far cry from being in “Prevent”

They never rushed more than 4 guys in the entire 4th quarter, and Murray was thrown off constantly by delayed blitzes in the first 3 quarters. It may not have been “prevent,” but it definitely was a deliberate gameplan change that cost them a win.

2 Likes

Or what fans claim when Matt starts firing darts in the 4th quarter

2 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with blitzing Murray with reckless abandon. You have to before careful about it because getting Murray outside of the pocket is a good way to give up points in a hurry.

If it’s Haskins or somebody, sure. Murray is a tricky to DL to scheme against and I think a strategy of contain with your hands up has it’s merits.

It was prevent as in soft coverage. When they make it easy to throw underneath for 5-7 yards, it is a soft zone. Regardless of how you characterize it, they weren’t playing aggressive on either side of the ball.

1 Like

And giving up those easy completions underneath allowed Murray and their offense to get into a rhythm. (Illegal picks and impossible Fitzgerald catch aside)