Twentyman: 2023 position breakdown: Defensive line

Kansas City’s Chris Jones is the top free agent out there but is probably out of their price range. There are a number of notable interior and edge free agents set to hit the market next month: Josh Allen (Jacksonville), Brian Burns (Carolina), Justin Madubuike (Baltimore), Christian Wilkins (Miami), Danielle Hunter (Minnesota), Leonard Williams (Seattle), Bryce Huff (New York Jets), D.J. Reader (Cincinnati) and Jonathan Greenard (Houston) are just a few who could become available. It’s a strong free agent class along the defensive line.

Which ones (a) would you consider, (b) not consider.
I’d consider Jones of course, Allen, Wilkins, Hunter, Williams and Reader.
Off the table for me are Huff and Burns. Huff duplicates Houston, Burns would cost alot for part-time.

1 Like

If we are that good I want to know why are some fans ready to spend 20 mil plus a year on one D player? Your wish list has many that would cost that much.

2 Likes

What’s the point, then? We have bargain bin guys, now.

Denico Autry

3 Likes

You sign him an resign GG an even Jackson You can then splash on a CB an bargin players an the draft.

2 Likes

Nobody expected CJGJ to sign for 1/8m last offseason - I think Holmes will be aggressive if value presents itself.

2 Likes

K’Lavon Chaisson from Jags also would be bargin show me signing to look at . He never showed with Jags what his draft grade was . He is a 3ml to 4 mil player similar to Houston . Just another idea he was 2020 Draft, Round 1, pick an has done little. The staff would have a better idea why .

Clowney makes sense. He signed for 2.5M last year, and had 8 or 9 sacks. He’s a FA and is still only 30.

There’s always ways to manipulate the cap. Its always going up. Of course, I’d like to do it for less than 20M, which probably puts Jones out of reach. But now that we are a preferred destination, and a SB contender, the calculus has changed. Its worth kicking the tires on some of these guys to see if they want to join our SB run.

Just suppose KC franchises their CB and lets Jones walk. And Jones is pissed at KC and wants to see them in the SB. Where’s he gonna go look? Never say never.

2 Likes

I realize that we need to upgrade the secondary, but it’s hard to rate some of those guys when the QB has all day to throw the ball. Change that and we’re a way better team with the same players back there.

1 Like

What a bargain signing that was. He had 9.5 sacks.

I’d take Clowney on a 1 year deal for sure to play opposite Hutch

3 Likes

I think we were second on pressure for the whole NFL on QBs . The only point against the QB was mainly sacks we were low but pressure we were second. I know its hard to se but that’s what is reported.
Detroit’s defense forced 97 negative plays this year (negative rushes, sacks for negative yards, negative passes), causing opponents to lose 505 yards on those plays. Only Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston and Indianapolis forced more negative yardage than Detroit.
Per Pro Football Focus, the Lions ranked as one of the best teams when it came to impacting the quarterback. They were second in quarterback hits (77) and sixth in pressures (236). I am not PFF fan just showing you.

I don’t think problem is the front 7 its the secondary mainly CBs that fell apart . Can we improve front 7 yes but I posted many times the Lion staff are not as down on the 7 than fans.

It may seem like its all day to throw it is not.

2 Likes

You actually aren’t showing me anything, these are “feel good” stats that don’t mean shit. If I just gave the opposing QB over 4 seconds to throw the ball but hit him after he did I added a stat for hits. Chances are I added a state for being 27th in the league for 3 and out at the same time.

QB hits I actually think is a good stat.

It’s never a bad thing to hit qb’s. Like for example when Bruce Irvin knocked Carr out and essentially won us the Saints game this year.

Same goes for Goff. I don’t want him taking many hits.

1 Like

If you but QB hits up against a clock and it’s under 2.5 seconds, THEN I’ll be impressed.

Detroit Projected to Land Pass Rusher in Free Agency

Would Bryce Huff be upgrade for Lions’ defense?

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/all-lions-detroit-projected-to-land-pass-rusher

If we somehow signs need in the off season then it’s a gigantic event and they can build more depth through the draft and maybe even still pick off a defensive tackle it free agency while not harming their ability to resign the core over the next couple years

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.