Tylan Wallace

Sounds like he’s likely getting cut. Wonder if we could work out a Mims style deal for him.

2 Likes

I’d love to take a punt, obviously, though I’m not sure his game will ever really translate to the league. He’s too easy to bully. But it’s not like he’s had a chance to show anything with the Ravens, and if there was one type of offense it might work, it would be ours. His route-running chops and good separation meant very little in Baltimore, but they might here, if he can stay away from the DB’s hands.

I’m wondering if some of the things I really liked about him are just coached up really well in Stillwater. Like I always thought his ball tracking was sublime but I felt that way (perhaps even more so) about that facet of Washington’s game and it hasn’t seemed to have been put to use by either one.

I also tend to get fooled by OSU WRs. I was Rashaun Woods was going to be big time. Whoops.

We’ve had plenty of guys who couldn’t track it worth a damn so I think those guys were probably legitimately good at it, I just think the weaknesses in their games/mentality outweigh their strengths.

In Tylan’s case I worry he might be too damn slight. He hasn’t had much opportunity to showcase his strengths but part of that is due to getting taken out of a route too easily. If you could get him free releases through scheme, etc…, he might start to show out, but then you’re catering your offense to the guy and that’s the reverse of how Ben wants to do it.

In Washington and Woods’s cases, those guys just didn’t/don’t love the game. James would rather be hunting and Woods would rather be fishing. You could say Blackmon would rather be drinking too, though I think he would have been really good anyway.

The one thing that gives me some hope with Wallace and him being a potential fit here (besides what you already mentioned) is he is feisty as hell. He’s like the little neighborhood dog that looks in the mirror and sees a Rottweiler.

Yeah, I have no worries with him like I did Washington or Woods re: love of the game and willingness to fight. He’s chippy.

I wanted Wallace coming out. We had some debates on him. However he was never the same after that ACL injury and the history of his twin brother and multiple ACL injuries put the scare that knee issues are hereditary.

I do not see the same player I saw pre injury and he has reaggravated that knee multiple times.

He is incredibly talented but unfortunately i think the injury bug is unshakable for him. See Ryan Broyles. He just isn’t the same player post injury

1 Like

Yeah I almost said something like that as well, the injury really hurt him. But I thought last year he was finally starting to show flashes of his old self from a suddenness/explosion perspective, it’s just he got so few opportunities. And when the Baltimore QBs actually threw it to him they missed him by a mile, even when he was open.

I think he could still have that same juice we saw in college, but as mentioned my biggest concern is his frame. I felt the same about Addison and he went to a great spot for his talents, if Wallace could find a spot like that I think he could have a later career surge. But it’s not like they grow on trees.

The guy who took Justin Blackmon as his first pick in a fantasy rookie draft is sitting here nodding profusely.

That dude had soooo much damn talent.