Alualu, Tyson NT California (13)*
Bridgewater, Teddy QB Louisville (10)*
Firkser, Anthony TE Harvard (5)*
Harris, Charles DE Missouri (7)*
Harris, Will DB Boston College (5)*
McQuaide, Jake LS Ohio State (13)*
Okwara, Romeo DE Notre Dame (8)*
Vaitai, Halapoulivaati G Texas Christian (8)*

Usually doesn’t mean much, but for UFA’s, if the prior years team tender’s an offer of 110% of his prior years salary on Monday following the draft, then if that player doesn’t sign a new deal by July 22, then that player can only sign with his prior club.

Anyways, the Lions did not issue a qualifying offer to any of their unsigned UFA’s. Basically means, we don’t want any of them back. I never noticed the Lions using this before (may have), but it is definitely rare. Usually if you are good enough, you will have already signed a deal. Most of the above retired on their own or by the league because no one wants to pay them any more.

7 Likes

Good informative post. Thanks George.

1 Like

Isn’t teddy B retiring?

So he makes sense …

1 Like

Is he on the staff at some capacity? His name comes up in some articles when discussing HH. I am wondering if there is a formal agreement with a contract or if it is just him being a mentor off the books.

1 Like

Jacobs, Jackson, Ducey, Pittman, Jones, Reynolds, Nelson are not on the list.
Jackon, Ducey, Pittman, Jones, Reynolds and Nelson are on new teams.

Assuming that you’re only posting those that remain unsigned, (2 of them officially retired), why don’t we see Jacobs on there?

@DeadDog @Spartansd Both Teddy and Romeo announced their retirements. I have Vaitai in my “retired” bin, but I may have jumped the gun on that. He “contemplated” retirement a year ago. After another injured effort, he should hang up the ole cleats.

1 Like

Yeah I know Teddy formally retired. But I did find the article where HH is living with him down in Florida this off season.

Was just wondering if Teddy has some contract in place to be a coach or something. He sounds like a prime candidate to be on the Lions staff in some capacity.

1 Like

Just make sure Tyson Alualu has his phone charged in late December in case we need him again.

Isn’t he coaching high school now? Can’t remember for sure.

2 Likes

I wonder if he can stick around as a coach? I know Penei looooves him and credits him for a lot of his success, and you’d think he could strike up a good rapport with Manu as well. Not that Polynesian guys all get along or anything, but you know, ours have.

1 Like

I don’t see why not. He does seem to be part of the line’s persona and we need to have something in the works for when Fraley leaves.

Could be that they want to let any of them try to get a job elsewhere because they are very unlikely to make the team here. Many would make good camp bodies or PS qualifiers. So maybe Brad and Dan did this as a sign of respect.

Maybe it went like this: “We aren’t going to try and control your immediate future when we know we dont have a real spot for you. Check back during camp if you are thinking PS is a good plan for you.”

2 Likes

It’s probably a little bit of both, but I suspect there’s a fair bit of the “not being dicks” treatment that the front office is becoming known for.

It’s more of a competitive advantage to be recognized as a team that treats players well than it is to take advantage of this minor loophole to control players.

2 Likes

All correct, although Romeo and Teddy may not have filed the official paperwork yet. The others are probably being retired because no one wants them. Will is getting a shot with the Saints but will likely be cut when they go to 53. I really doubt the Lions want any of them, none were really that good (other than McQuaide, if Daly gets hurt again). If we bring in any of the others, we had some really bad and significant injuries.

Well said

3 Likes

The new UDFA long snapper screams Dan Campbell guy. He also played linebacker. He had over 100 tackles between special teams and defense. I think he got a safety on s/t as well.

1 Like