Uncalled holding fouls fuel another primetime comeback - ProFootballTalk

What a joke that play was. The Officials huddled three separate times over about a 7 minute period. Even if we were to believe the bullshit that Gado threw a forward pass, the holding by the Green Bay offensive line was inside the end zone and should’ve been a safety. Now I’m all furious again.

2 Likes

Sad Happy Hour GIF

2 Likes

Personally I prefer for the refs to lean towards “letting them play” (I think holding could be called basically every down). That said during a game’s crucial moments, they simply have to be on the lookout for egregious fouls. Give them more leeway (no ticky-tack calls), but if something’s clear and obvious, call it.

2 Likes

Exactly right, there is 22 dudes on the field. There is holding somewhere on almost every single play, it’s just a matter of when it’s called or not. The refs have so much power to impact games.

I really hate the automatic first downs. Like for example, it’s 3rd and 15 and you get an illegal contact call in the secondary, 5 yard penalty but it’s an auto 1st down, screw that shit. It should be 3rd and 10.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, but you know DBs (and their coaches) will abuse that rule on anything less than 3rd and 5 to illegally contact guys all the time. Maybe make it a ten yard penalty with no automatic first?

4 Likes

I agree, but the real reason is the nfl wants high scoring games. Auto 1st downs help accomplish that. I was also a defensive player, so I’m very biased about them bullshit auto 1st downs… haha

2 Likes

Well yes I don’t deny that all rules favor the offense. That’s why I adapted my strategy on roster construction to fit with the current rules. Until they swing the other way - and I doubt they will any time soon since as you say, the NFL wants high-scoring games - I think building an elite offense is the best way to have a consistent contender.

2 Likes

Dare I say, the Lions are building an elite offense!? Pass the koolaid! We are scoring 40 tomorrow!

1 Like

Yeah and I think it’s the right approach. I still have my concerns about Goff as far as year-over-year performance but he’s definitely earned more time at the helm.

1 Like

Josh McDaniels is not a wallflower. He’s a fiery guy. I was watching the game and McDaniels had no problems yelling at the officials. I think Florio kind of took a concept and ran with it. And if anyone were to challenge it, he would just raise the bar until noone could meet it.

Here’s a pic of McDaniels yelling at the officials on Thursday, and I will throw in a few random pics from the past so people can understand that he’s not Caldwell.

josh-mcdaniels-yelling
28-1s-099-spygate1-300x300

McDaniels didn’t learn that from the master.

belichick-faces

1 Like

I guarantee you Holmes has considere how refs officiate, particularly against us, & is building the team accordingly.

If we’re gonna have a chance to compete, it’s gonna be with Holmes’n’Campbell

They discuss the refs and their tendencies with the players each week. DC has mentioned from the podium how “we knew” and “we discussed” what kind of calls they were likely to get.

1 Like

That is a super awesome thing for teams to do. However, we need to be real for a second. If you are the Packers or Cowboys…you are getting calls because of who you are and all that goes into it. Its not because your staff is just wicked smaht and are extra good at studying and working the officials. The bottom of the league is a special group with the Lions, Raiders and Browns. We are missing the boat if we think those teams simply haven’t thought about how to study and work the officials.

3 Likes

100% yes to this. It’s more attempting to manage how badly you’re gonna get railed, rather than avoiding it all together.

1 Like