Vaitai Restructured

And Nick confirms.

https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/1638899764149518336

2 Likes

With a huge assist from Danimal. That would never be possible without the heavy lift and steady hand of Daniel Allen Campbell in flipping the player experience in Detroit.

8 Likes

Footnote: So Vaitai like Harris and Okwara before him renegotiated his contract, not restructured his contract. I’m not making this up.
I learned that at the feet of Deadstroke…

I suppose it’s the threat of being cut and getting no new money that drives the renegotiation.

4 Likes

Something is up. You don’t re-mortgage/ “kick the can down the road” to stare at the savings on paper. :thinking:

2 Likes

Players taking significant paycuts because they want to stay here so bad is quite an amazing turnaround from the mass exodus of players we saw just a few short years ago under the Nazi regime.

I’m pretty much expecting Chark back at this point or some other significant addition if not him. Holmes pulling off pure magic this offseason beyond my wildest expectations.

Oh and glad to have VaiTai back. I really want to see this offensive line when whole, they were pretty darn good with the rotation of backup guards that were getting turnstiled regularly last season so can’t imagine how good they’d be with a healthy VaiTai. I’m sure Sewell is happy about this development.

3 Likes

Does this free up some $$ for DJ?

1 Like

Yeah, Brad is thinking about how he’s going to screw Kwesi again and say it’s a win-win with a straight face…

6 Likes

I have us at $24M under right now, but only $6M under the cap when budgeting for the entire year (rookie class signings, PS, PS elevations, Injuries, In season moves, etc). $6M could be used on extensions.

2 Likes

Really impressive work from Holmes on the Vaitai, Okwara and Harris contracts, saving pretty much the same amount of cap space as he would have cutting them, but keeping three guys who could be valuable players this year on the roster. I think that speaks to the culture and the buy-in of the players, if they didn’t like it here they’d have just said “cut me” and signed elsewhere.

The cap is looking quite healthy for this year, with about $15m in space after the draft class.

Looking ahead to next year, accounting for the '23 and '24 draft classes, there will be around $70m to spend. Plenty of room to extend Jonah Jackson, CJGJ and perhaps Moseley depending on his 2023 season, and dare I say it Jared Goff as well.

The roster looks good, the cap situation is good and the draft capital situation is good. When was the last time that happened?!

6 Likes

I starting to think #6 pick will be Peter Skoronski

With Taylor Decker and Frank Ragnow on lucrative deals, and Penei Sewell not far off from cashing in on a contract that could dwarf both of those, it could be tough for the Lions to re-sign Jonah Jackson as he enters the final year of his rookie contract. On top of that, the other guard spot also has long-term concerns with Graham Glasgow only re-signing for one year. So, give me one of college football’s dominant offensive tackles, a technician and high-level athlete who has a frame better suited to move inside at the next level, but maintains the flexibility to slide back outside if you ever need him there.

7 Likes

To me these all look like renegotiated contracts, not restructures. Restructures just kick the cap $ can down the road. These are cost reductions, not cap deferrals.

I grade Holmes work as an A+ for not restructuring

These moves cut costs and build roster depth.
Excellent :+1:

1 Like

Can’t sign everyone
Shame but that’s the reality
Not sure Jackson can really be considered a CORE piece …

Unless he’s willing to take less moving forward, this may be Deckers last contract in Detroit

Every year there will be tough decisions

1 Like

Which leads to comp picks or traded. Good problem to have

Decker, Jonah, Ragnow, Skoronski, Sewell

Backup 2G/C -… Glasgow
Backup RG/RT- … Big V

That’s as elite as it will ever get

7 Likes

Man does that look amazing.
The Oline had been the biggest key to this turnaround in my opinion.
… aside from the front office magicians.

This move also suggests big v is healthy and ready to go by season start.

4 Likes

Again same post as yesterday but:

1. Carter DT
    8- Skoronski RG

Trade up 18 & 48 to Atlanta who has a lot of needs on defense and snatch him right before Chicago. Maybe even get a day 3 pick back from them as well.

Use round 2 & 3 for DB depth

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, in fact, with Vaitai, Jackson, and Glasgow on one year deals, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see them double dip. Next year looks like a changing of the guard, pun intended.

Are we clearing space for a trade :thinking: :eyes: :flushed:

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s for DJ Chark and Ashawn Robinson.

1 Like

As much as it pains me, some credit is due to Bob Quinn for that. He left us with Decker, Ragnow, Jackson and Vaitai (on a bad contract).

He wasn’t a great GM, but he could draft o-line with the best of them.

4 Likes