Venison Recipes

Just wanted to create a thread for insight on how other prefer their wildgame, venison in particular. Please feel free to share recipes as well!!!

I am new to smoking venison. I use a 22" webber kettle grill for all my smoking. I also make muscle jerky and ground jerky.

My old man makes venison sausage and bear sausage.

We clean our venison burger up really good and have it in chili, gravy and spaghetti…

Other cuts I enjoy are steaks, roasts and slices in gravy as well (over mashed potatoes or noodles), chunks in stew or soup.

Also, can’t go wrong with slices in everything eggs, Sliced steak in venison cheesesteak, and venison burgers with the burger!

1 Like

We recently ran out of venison, didnt need to get a deer last year but this year was time to restock the freezer. We got a couple bucks this year, one in bow and one in rifle. I usually get a good 2 years out of our venison when freezing. We process our own and use freezer paper, prewrap the meat in saran wrap for added protection. We’ve shot 8 bucks since 2017. Two were 2.5 years old and the rest were 3.5 years to 5.5 years old.

I had forgot about the heart in the fridge from my sons deer from last friday. I have no clue how long it’ll last in a 35 degree fridge. So, unsure as i was I decided to slice it up for some heart jerky for dog treats… but after seasoning it and seeing the meat appeared to be good and smelled fine I may be eating it for myself!

Heart jerky is a new one for us.

I dig Venison loin. But I like my meats medium rare. I tend to find those on the well done side of things are often less of a fan.

Key to a good venison steak is to cook it quickly on high heat. Leaving it medium rare in the middle.

3 Likes

I eat venison loin

IMG_8388

Truthfully, I was expecting one of these… But I didn’t expect it to be nearly this funny

AWESOME!!!

a good roast or backstrap on the smoker:

marinade for 24 hrs in pineapple juice with the rings on top the meat (flip after 12 hrs)

Mix Garlic Pepper, Lemon Pepper, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, and Tony’s (or cajun) each part 20%

glaze honey all around meat and sprinkle on your seasoning mix all around.

Put a catch foil pan underneath

smoke at 225-250 degrees on the Webber kettle grill until center is desired temp, then sear for a min or 2 on each side… My desired temp is 130 then after searing it hits 140 ish… bast the top with what was caught in the foil (most of it may be stuck to the foil)

Love the topic.

Family of 5 with daughters that are 11,9, &6. I say 75% of what we eat is something I caught on a pole or shot with bow.

We get as many steaks as we can from any deer or elk I harvest. Then we get some burger. We usually keep some without fat and have some with fat added for making burgers. After years of monkeying around with adding bacon and such, this is just the easiest way for us.

Burger without fat is used in chili, spaghetti, burritos and for sloppy joes. Tacos occasionally but we rarely make tacos with ground meat. It’s usually with steak or chicken.

Then after first deer or elk (on years im lucky) we will get as many steaks as we can then turn remaining meat into specialty items like snack sticks, brats & sausage. All of this is eaten throughout the year and is super handy for camping.

100% agree that a venison steak should be rare for best results. Our preferred way of cooking is thin slices into hot cast iron very quickly. That is also always how we cook back straps.

Other steaks we will sometimes marinade and throw on traeger than sear. That can be good.

Lately I have been throwing them on black stone for a minute in a half per side and then throwing on plate and allowing garlic butter to melt on them before cutting and serving.

Was lucky enough to draw a moose tag this year and harvest a bull and photo below is from the black stone method I mentioned.

Rob

1 Like

Good stuff Rob!

Question for you guys. I seen some YouTube videos of people submerging venison in water or their marinade liquid to get the juices out.

I can’t stand that, I want to retain as much as possible but that’s not always easy as some is bound to come out during the marination process.

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20231125-230130

2 Likes

It’s cold out so might as well take advantage of wood burning season by cooking some tenderloins!

1 Like

Bought some fire brick blocks to modify to fit my stainless grate so I don’t have to use logs to hold it up.

I love cooking over open fire. We do a lot of it on beach days in UP and while camping!

I like to get it all ground up.

Use it like hamburger in everything.

It is hard to cook because it is so lean.

yea i found a venison burger recipe before and doctored it up a bit

diced onions nad pepperjack cheese, added eggs, ritz crumbs, bbq sauce, garlic pepper, Tonys and lean venison burger all mixed up and toss it on the grill!

And slapped on some spinich and Hellmans mayo before they started added bioengineered ingredients.

Funny thing is they still advertise as “Real Mayo” lol

Key ingredient for tuna fish sandwich …pizza…burger… salad …& much more.
I put it in my chili, & put some of the juice in there too. LOVE IT!!! enjoy!

While I enjoy venison in dishes-ground for tacos, spaghetti, etc my go-to is frying pan with a little Lowreys and lots of butter.