Was Levi injured before we drafted him or after we drafted him?

I keep reading posters saying we drafted an injured Levi and I just wanted to see if someone knew for sure what the status was on Levi’s back when we drafted him? … and also if anyone knows when exactly Levi injured his back.

He was injured prior to us drafting. But the prognosis was, there’d be a complete heal and no lingering effects.

3 Likes

I feel like Paschal and Levi both had different injuries in college but still haven’t seen anything that says Levi injured his back while still at Washington.

The article you linked just says “Onwuzurike played in 16 of a possible 17 games last season, but battled a back injury in training camp that limited his production early in the year.” It doesn’t really say that if the back injury was from college or incurred during training camp.

I did find this though:

“Lions coach Dan Campbell said Wednesday second-round pick Levi Onwuzurike has missed practice time this summer because of a back injury he dealt with in college.”

Hmmm, interesting. I’ve never heard of drafting a player with a back injury. I would think that’s one of those injuries that you just stay away from. Back injuries, neck injuries, and head injuries.

Ok, so as much as I love Brad Holmes and what he’s done. I would really challenge the idea of drafting players with back injuries. Like, I’m no GM but even I know that’s an injury you basically black-list when it comes to drafting players.

5 Likes

That don’t sound good! So this back injury has been going on at least 3 years now. For his well-being it might be best to just retire so you don’t mess up your back even more where you can’t walk in the future.

I’m 100% on board with any Lions GM to trade any/all 2nd rd picks up or down, doesnt matter which way, just dont make any picks in the 2nd rd.

2 Likes

Too bad he’s not under warranty. They just don’t make em like they used to

1 Like

If we had a warranty for 2nd round picks, we’d have 37 picks this year in the 2nd round.

4 Likes

Or he can just keep collecting a pay check and not play, or just wait to be released and get the injury settlement.

1 Like

As the reports above show, he injured his back in college. His team knew. Holmes knew about the injury and knew it was a risk. Didn’t pan out.

If that’s the case, you take Levi in the 4th or 5th round, not early 2nd.

5 Likes

Honestly i hate to say it

Definitely a Quinn type pick where they just fall in love with a player, and they let it blind them to some glaring issues surrounding them

But it does seem that his back injury was worse than what the staff thought it was initially. Earlier before season start, it looked like he was trending towards a positive direction so he had a significant setback in someway the best month or so

1 Like

The risks are genius when they work out. They’re the reason you’re fired when they don’t

This is why it was such a bad reach. Levi was injured. He barely participated in anything prior to the draft. And not only did he have a lingering back injury… but he sat out a year from COVID and didn’t heal. Levi was a 2nd round talent with serious injury risk… meaning we should have knocked him down at least a round… but we almost traded up for him. It’s an obvious bad evaluation that even an amateur could see. Kinda like tim Boyle…

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.