Was the Draft effected?

I wonder if our draft would have been any different if Jamo wasn’t suspended. Before the draft I said the best way to make-up for Jamo being suspended is to take a rb like Gibbs and a TE. Well thats exactly what Holmes did so it makes me wonder if that was the plan all along or if the Jamo suspension forced his hand.

Not seeing it be different

I actually really like this draft, positional value is overrated imo

2 Likes

I actually think the TE room had room for improvement no matter what the Jamo status. Now, if they took one a few picks earlier due to Jamo situtation, perhaps.

Gibbs? I don’t believe that jamo had any impact on that selection

1 Like

I don’t think so either, since B-rad admitted being smitten when he attended a 'Bama game during the Fall.

I will say this: the addition of LaPorta and Gibbs makes me feel a lot better about this offense sans Jamo. Gibbs has home run ability each time he touches the ball, and LaPorta seems the type to frustrate the hell out of safeties and linebackers.

2 Likes

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

1 Like

Just imagine when Jamo comes back.

1 Like

According to Holmes it might have factored in. This is from a MLive article

The suspensions finally came down just last week, and general manager Brad Holmes acknowledged they affected his strategy on Thursday night.

“You obviously think about (the suspensions),” Holmes said in the wee hours of Friday morning. “When you lose multiple players at one position, it’s pretty obvious you have to be rational, be sound, and look at your options. But I’ll tell you, that’s another thing about Jahmyr, is that, again, I know people put him as ‘running back,’ but he does a lot of special things in the passing game. So that’s another thing I was really, really excited about. But yeah, you’re aware of it, it’s not overlooked.”

2 Likes

Thx for sharing, that is an interesting quote and supports what many of us have been saying, Gibbs is going to be used a ton in the passing game. Alvin Kamara averaged 80+ catches per season during his first 4 seasons in the league while Campbell was coaching there, I see something similar coming here.

Jamo, Gibbs, LaPorta, Sun God, Marvin plus Montgomery, Kalif and Reynolds. Not short of targets.

I want to see what Ben comes up with when both Montgomery and Gibbs are on the field. I think it is going to be a fun season to watch.

1 Like

Good point, lots of weapons for Goff. Even someone like Mitchell showed some potential last year.

2 Likes

You’re also going to have Mitchell who’s another good pass catching tight end. He’s going to be fully healthy this year.

2 Likes

Please understand that Brad tries to take everything into account and will answer every question like that. If a reporter asked him if he considered trading up for one of the top 2 QBs he woudl probably say “we factored in every possibility and left nothing off the table. So yes we considered it.” If asked about going kicker in the 1st round Brad would say something like “we would never throw out the possibility and it was something we discussed. If the draft played out differently, we were certainly prepared to do what was best for the team.”

1 Like

Jamo & Gibby make everyone else’s job much easier.
Ra & Monty will be highly dependable, & will feast on less attention.
…Ra is as dependable as Kupp. Les long speed, but an amazing player who you can absolutely count on.
…I suspect LaPorta moves closer to this category of player as he gets more experience.
Kalif & Raymond have speed & can xo will with the circumstances they will be operating under. They will make you pay if you on’t defend them, & are solid professionals that get the ones they are supposed to.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.