Watching Bears Sports Chicago right now

Yes to all of this!

Yes to this too - Buuuuut…I dont’ think what they are doing on O is at all sustainable. Fields is gonna get hurt.

Lamar’s survived even though he’s much more slightly built. Vick, Cunningham, Russ, Watson, they may have been injured here and there but nothing career-ending like RGIII. Any player can get hurt in the NFL but RGIII is more of an outlier than otherwise.

Cam is the best comp because like Fields he’s huge. And eventually injuries ruined his career. But 1) Carolina used him as their goal line back and 2) Fields is already a better passer than Cam ever was.

Hoping you are wrong
hoping bears share your opinion

Fields isn’t huge for a QB. 6’ 3” and 228 pounds and I actually don’t think he looks like he weighs that much. Best comp for Fields is Trey Lance……

1 Like

Alright huge was a touch hyperbolic but he’s very big for a QB, especially compared to the other runners like Lamar and RGIII and Vick and Kyler and the like. And I don’t think Lance works as a comp, Fields is much faster and more athletic. Lance is in the Hurts, Watson tier of QB athlete.

I thought Fields looked extremely impressive. If the Bears add a few pieces on offense to help him out, they will be very difficult to stop IMO. Yes, his passing is not where it needs to be. But Fields is still young, working without a ton of help, and in any case, Lamar Jackson has been pretty effective for Baltimore with similar limitations. There are lots of ways to win in this league. Sometimes you discover that the old rules aren’t really “rules,” just things everybody assumed until someone proved otherwise.

1 Like

So far guys like Fields seem to slide or run out of bounds when they get into a situation that blew up RG3’s knee. I have no idea what he was doing, and I guarantee it has been a talking point these kids have had to hear for years leading into the league and now in the NFL.

It’s going to catch up to Josh Allen as well. He just runs people over and won’t go down. He definitely doesn’t play like he’s scared of getting hurt.

3 Likes

Good point, he’s a big dude but he’s dropping his shoulder and throwing stiff arms on a regular basis, which makes him fun to watch. But, he’s gotta watch those knees, DB’s are going to start chopping him down. Learning to slide is such an important tool for these mobile QB’s. It can lead to them taking so many fewer hits in the long run, and prolong their careers.

2 Likes

Hate to say it, but yup.
My fav QB, but he’s gonna get injured if he keeps doing what he has been.
Green light it in the SB and situationally, but not as often as he does it.
Get the first down…then preserve your career (the team’s window of opportunity)

3 Likes

I agree, but Fields is built thicker than RG III was—more like a RB.

1 Like

I agree w/that too. I still think he doesn’t last long playing the way he does. He is more sturdy than RGIII, but today’s guys are getting hurt more than back then too.

1 Like

Are his tendons, ligaments, and bones bigger? Can they take the hits he’s going to take over a 17 game season?

2 Likes

Exactly. Doesn’t matter how much you squat when your knee gets twisted backwards because you’re plowing into the end zone like a FB.

1 Like

Its funny to me watching people see Fields go untouched for 60 yards and say “he’s going to get killed playing like that!” Then Josh Allen tries to Jerome Bettis linebackers and safeties after 15-20 yard runs and some of the same people say “that’s a football player right there! I love that!”

2 Likes

Allen won’t last long either throwing his shoulders into linebackers.

1 Like

It’s kind of bull shit for defensive players who are almost afraid to hit a QB……and if you don’t bring it to a guy like Allen you get trucked.

3 Likes

South Park Cartoons GIF

4 Likes

Is Kap not the obvious comparison here. No doubt you can have success with fields but you will need all the pieces around him. And even if you do how long is your window?

I used to think Fields was like Mahomes while at OSU….then this year I don’t see Mahomes at all. I do see Cam Newton, running style and passing style.

2 Likes