Wentz to Indy

I’m not high on Goff, I’d take a 1st all day everyday. That would give us 3 straight drafts with two 1st rd picks.

Essentially turning Stafford into three 1’s and a 3rd.

Not to mention with Goff we’re maybe a 5-6 win team, I’d rather be a 3win team with better draft capitol.

And it’s the Bears they will still be just mediocre, keep them on that treadmill.

1 Like

How do we “know” persnickety we only win 5 games?

We could go 0-16. Or 19-0?!

We are a total wildcard right now

So I think it’s fair to say that Goff and Wentz are very comparable. Yes? I mean, I think I would rather have Goff at this point.

So if Goff’s trade value is equivalent to Wentzs 3 and 2 … we essentially got two firsts, a second, and two thirds for Stafford.

Two firsts, a second, and 2 thirds. Not . Too . Shabby.

I thought the logic of getting that no-name guy they hired with the Eagles was because he was supposed to be “Reich light” and be able to work with Wentz. So they hire that guy, and then ship Wentz away? Ouch.

2 Likes

I think the logic of trading Wentz was to use #6 for a QB and give Sirianni some space from the dysfunction of the last year. Hurts is not the answer, IMO.

There was noone that thought that guy was going to be a head coach in this cycle…but for the fact that he was supposed to go fix Wentz as Reich’s right hand man.

I’ll gladly ship them pick 7 for pick 20, pick 52 and their 2022 first…

That was my exact line of thinking. Even with the rumors, I never saw him getting moved. This tells me Sirianni is ok with Hurts.

That’s fine, but why in the heck did they hire that guy if they weren’t going to keep Wentz? Am I the only one that thinks the guy was a bit of a bad hire without the Wentz connection via Reich?

1 Like

It’s a valid point. It’s almost like they hired him to try to encourage Wentz to stay but he wanted out regardless.

I think that was their plan, and Wentz probably literally said “I’m not playing for you again, I want out.” He just didn’t make it as public as Watson did.

Their entire offseason was shaped around rehabilitating Wentz. Firing Pederson was for that too, he wanted Hurts apparently.

This is lining up perfectly for the Detroit Lions!

Wentz to Indy now puts more pressure on Carolina, Denver, and possibly Dallas (Dax Prescott FA).

We are sitting at #7 overall and just behind us:

• #8 Carolina
  • #9 Denver
  • #10 Dallas

All three teams currently have a giant need at the QB position, and all three teams pick just behind the Lions in the draft. (You could also throw in the 49ers @ 12, Patriots @ 15)

One of those teams may look to move up to secure target QB ahead of another competitor.

Carolina reportedly offered their #8 overall in a trade package for Stafford. They’ve already shown their hand and are definitely a team in the QB hunt. Denver knows this and may want to leap-frog up a few spots to secure a QB in the draft.

Same with Dallas. If Dax hits FA, then that puts Dallas just behind two QB needy teams in the draft. You think Jerry Jones would wait to see what QB falls to him? He might want to jump ahead of Carolina and Denver to secure their QB.

The #7 pick could be a hot trade target for a team looking to move up and draft their QB, ahead of other QB needy teams.

5 Likes

Ditka

2 Likes

Yes. I would think Philly will make a go of it with Hurts. If they added Waddle, they would open things up for Reagor AND back the safeties up which would make Hurts’ running that much more dangerous.

As for our #7, I still think there’s a strong possibility the Lions select Trey Lance. Looks like a better athlete with a bigger arm and more explosion than Justin Fields. Obviously this is a projection, but as I watch his tape, I see a mix athletically between Josh Allen and Kyler Murray. He’s 6’4” 230 and fast. He’s a dual threat guy, and a true Alpha. That team unquestionably knows he is out there leading them into battle and they rally around him. If he can be developed and learn to stand in the pocket and proceed through his reads before taking off running, there might be a real diamond in the rough there, like Buffalo unearthed in Josh Allen who was pretty raw his first year. It’s a franchise changing pick if it works out. If it doesn’t, well, someone probably gets fired. It’s all on Holmes.

Good for Indy, they got a deal. Silly Eagles, thinking Stafford results. Still calling Philly and Houston as the new dumpster fires.

1 Like

Love it! Could we see 4-5 trades down? If the Lions could trade down 4 times from 7 -> 8 -> 10 -> 15

They’d get the 15th pick instead of 7th overall and probably get 2x more 2nd rounders, 2x more 3rd rounders, and another 3-4x late rounders.

I’d MUCH rather have #15 and 8 other guys than just 1 #7 overall. That is how you build a TEAM.

1 Like

I remember when the Lions had (3) 2nd rounders in the same draft. Yeah, good times.

1 Like

tenor

The acronym “QB” was used nine times in this post. What the hell is wrong with you @Cynodon ?

…Nine times?!

3 Likes

You mean an unknown entity?!?!

It will be interesting to see how the draft plays-out know. Our pick might be too low now to hold a key to getting a QB other than Trey Lance or Mac Jones…but maybe teams will be so desperate they’ll be reaching for whatever they can get.

1. Jaguars
  2. Jets
  3. Dolphins
  4. Falcons
  5. Bengals
  6. Eagles
  7. Lions
  8. Panthers
  9. Broncos
  10. Cowboys
  11. Giants
  12. 49ers