What about Pickett as our QB

Everyone knew Doug Flutie was too short, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers were products of the system, Everyone knows these things. Man, I really hope I never become the kind of hedge expert that knows these things too. I’d still be cleaning eggs off my face.

For the record, he threw 40 tds, 7 ints, and 2 fumbles.

Unless they’re using junior balls in Pitt, I’m not going to worry about his hand size, not when they’re getting the job done.

short? Pickett is 6’3 .

after he threw for over 4,000 yards this season. as well.

1 Like

He wears gloves on both hands ala teddy two gloves throws a pretty ball and is mobile. Only fumbled 2 times this year and that’s including rushing the ball. I’m not taking him 1oa but we didn’t bring Dorsey in for nothing. We will find a qb I personally like Pickett.

Hutch
London/Bell/olave/dotson
Pickett

1 Like

Not true

Nah, not suggesting 1OA. I like your layout too. Get some defensive beast, a good WR, and see where it goes from there. I think our O-line is up to bringing on a rookie, it’s as close to optimal as I’ve seen in my lifetime. Bookend Tackles, a stud Center, and competent Guards. A top tier, all around TE, good running game, add some receivers and I can’t see a better situation for a rookie to walk into, certainly better than what Stafford had outside of Calvin.

Leaves a lot of question marks on the other side of the ball, but Glenn has certainly done a fantastic job with what’s currently there to work with.

1 Like

I would make a pitch that appeals to his sophisticated interests in the arts… because there are some accomplished “dancers” in the area… even if he has to travel accross the bridge to Windsor. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

The most i would offer texas for watson would
Be the rams 2 1sts… with a condition that watson was available to play at least 50% of games each season.

I’m not offering anything unless he’s cleared to play and wants to come to Detroit. If both of those were non issues then I’d easily give away the #1oa and both Rams firsts.

1 Like

Imo there will be at least one starting caliber NFL QB this draft…it’s up to Brad to identify said QB and draft him. Now, the only caveat is, is that if somehow there’s a big run on QB’s before our 2-4 picks that takes out the top 4-5 dudes, then maybe pass or take a flyer on a guy in the later rounds…but I’d be surprised if there are more than two QB’s taken before our late 1st/2nd rd picks. Team needs to start the clock on a rookie QB next season…not play per say, but get a guy in camp and groomed for 2023 at the very least. As someone else posted earlier, there’s no guarantee that 2023 draft will have better QB’s available, and I dont want another excuse as to why this offense sucks after next season…maybe it will suck in 2023, but at least they can have a guy who isnt 100% green when the time comes.

On a sidenote…would be glorious if we take a QB with our Rams pick this year and he turns out to be a stud…ohhhh the sweet irony.

They need the “Rookie QB contract path” badly. So many holes to fill and we keep chucking $30m a year at QB? No thank-you

4 Likes

This is a great point. It becomes very difficult to build a team when so much of your salary cap goes to 1 dude. When we had Calvin and Stafford together, they were like 50% of our salary cap.

2 Likes

Yep. We need to finish shedding the bad contracts (Vaitai and Flowers).

Goff is another horrible contract that I’m eager to get off the books. I know why it’s there, so this isn’t a 2nd-guessing of Holmes. I support their having gotten him for the trade package we landed, but those cap hits the next couple of years are going to sting.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure they dump Vaitai. His cap number actually dips to 8.4 million next year, which would rank 16th on this year’s cap. Not good, but not crippling either. I think its really going to be a judgment call on if they think they can replace him on the free agent market, or from within, and maintain line cohesion.

I think odds are they move on, but I don’t know if it’s a slam dunk either. :thinking:

Always the case. But never a reason to leave Jarred Goff, Tim Boyle and David Blough as your teams leader. We don’t need a grand slam, but we do need a starting QB because what we have now is not good enough by a longshot.

Don’t disagree. But I’d still wait until later in the draft. 33 at the earliest. Goff is still the starter next year so we can pick a developmental kid with the right tools

1 Like

I wouldn’t use “mobile” to discribe Pickett. He has 411 rush attempts for a whopping 1.9 ypc average. Yes 19 of those were likely QB sneaks for TD’s, but 411 attempts tells the story that “mobile” is not really a Pickett trait. He’s a pocket passer. People are falling for the guy because he’s like the only “not short” QB among the top several guys. But I’d rather have a 6-1 - 6-2 guy who really is mobile like Corral, than a 6-3 guy who’s yet another statue in the pocket. We are also talking about a career 62.5% completion rate guy with a poor TD to INT ratio who is just now having a career year in those metrics.

For comparison:

Corral is more accurate (significantly so outside of this season), more mobile and put up higher ypa in passing and higher ypc as a rusher AND played much tougher defenses. But Picket has him by an inch or two and 20 lbs. so we need to throw the rest out. That’s what I’m seeing with the Pickett love. That and people think we can get him with our 2nd bean. That I do understand, because that will not be the case with Corral. There are just reasons for that and at future franchise QB, I’m not splitting hairs over cost. You get the best guy you can and we can get better than Pickett IMHO.

Picketts hand size is a concern too. NFL balls are on average 1.25” bigger in circumference

Those gloves may not save him in the NFL
Tiny Hands GIF by Mike Shinoda

You’re right. His 2022 contract is for 7 mil paid out in cash, which is the cheapest year of his contract. He very well may stick around.

I’ve been operating with this perception that he’s missing games, but he really hasn’t been, and that his contract was clearly going to see him cut. Like, something set me on that course this off-season and I haven’t deviated.

2 Likes

and where the F are we getting all these better options from? this years class is slim, and what great vets are willing to come to Detroit!? beggars can’t be chooser’s.

1 Like