What does a Goff extension look like?

109 QBs have been drafted in round 1….

11 have won SBs… but only 9 for the team that drafted them- Dilfer and Stafford won theirs elsewhere.

Only 9 others even played in a SB- and ironically 1 was our Jared Goff

So by drafting a QB in round 1, you have roughly an 83% shot he will never play in a SB…. You have an 86% chance “he won’t play in one for YOUR team”.

When you consider McMahon, Eli, Flacco, Aikman, Dilfer, etc are part of the 11-

GUYS- P Manning, A Rodgers, Elway, and P Mahomes…. That is the historical list of truly elite QBs drated by teams in round 1, that won SBs for them-

4 Likes

Goff is what 25-26 years old? If he has that kind of season you are easily looking at 40M plus per year.

1 Like

How many QB’s have been drafted in the SB era? In this time frame the Lions have won 3 division titles and won 1 playoff game. So you have to say the odds are at 0% the Lions will play in a SB regardless.

Goff threw 0 TD’s in the SB he played in. So what do you put the odds at that he will take the Lions to the SB? Considering the guy we just traded to the Rams for Goff just won that bitch. The problem wasn’t Stafford, Goff isn’t the saver. The problems is and always has been the Lions. Until you can get past that none of these stats you put out there means a God damn thing!

1 Like

Elway wasn’t drafted by the Broncos nor Manning by the Giants.

Regardless, what I think you are describing is more that Super Bowl trips are more dependent on organizational quality than on quarterbacks, Green Bay, Dallas, Denver, Giants, New England, Miami, Redskins, Chicago, Kansas City, Philadephia, Pittsburgh, Rams, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Raiders, Colts, Ravens all went to multiple Super Bowls over multiple eras and most of those teams also won multiple Super Bowls over multiple eras with varying QB quality. I may even have missed a couple.

What is sad about that list is it represents the majority of the non-expansion teams., omitting the Lions most significantly as the only non-expansion team who hasn’t gone even once.

edit: Pittsburgh, der doy

Goff is 28 for 2022

Murray is 25, Watson is 26. Mahomes was just 25 when he signed his big deal, Dak was 28 and missed a year when he signed for $40m aav.

I don’tthink Goff will command $45m. maybe 40 on a 3 year. He has some warts the other guys don’thave and they all can run/dual threat.

1 Like

If Holmes were to extend him……he would get a pay raise. He don’t think he would get the raises that the elites have been getting recently but a 10 million a year thing would be feasible. Gotta remember people think he was a throw in. The rumor is Holmes loves him and wanted him in the trade. And there is a thing about respect too. You don’t want to lowball a guy who has embraced the city and the culture if he produces here. If you believe he is your qb then you pay him accordingly, if you don’t then move on and draft YOUR guy in the next draft or two.

3 Likes

Incredible post.

1 Like

Well if the hatred is directed at the organization, then this post, and this forum are pointless?

Let’s presume we aren’t doomed, but rather unlucky?

QBs drafted in the SB era seem less relevant than simply taking the 109 first rounders since 1980-

When you start taking 60s and 70s- you have SB winning QBs with more picks than TDs…

Big Ben - 2 rings w/ 379 total yards 1 TD and 3 Int

Tom Brady vs the rams -2 games- 400 yards 1 TD 1 int

Elway has 1,128 yards with 3 TDs and 8 ints in 5 Sbs…. He had 450 yards with 1 td and 2 ints in the WINS

Eli had 550 yards and 3 TDs in his 2 wins…

Bottom line we have a guy who can get there…. The reason Goff has no ring, and Brady has an extra? Rams riddled by injuries and pats ram for 156 yards vs Rams for like 50. Brady played identically to Goff

1 Like

You asked a question and I answered it. I said statistics are not the only thing that matters and that was your entire question. What if he puts up X numbers, you don’t extend him???

You have a 98% glass is full outlook on Jared Goff. Goff doesn’t take the LAR team to the Super Bowl last year. Staffords run in the Playoffs is something I don’t think Goff is ever capable of. He isn’t near the talent Stafford is.

I don’t think Goff is a proven leader. I don’t think Goff is near as tough as Matt is either. There is nothing I have seen that tells me Goff is the guy right now. A really good statistical season (a cousins type season) is not nearly enough to convince me this is my guy.

I’ll even say Cousins is better than Goff. And I absolutely wouldn’t want Kirk as my franchise QB.

I think Stafford has elite talent, is tough, and the team believed he was the guy to lead them to the Super Bowl. And he got it done in year 1 after years and years of “failure” in Detroit. He had all the pressure in the world to get it done last year and he did it. And he and Cooper Kupp were largely the reason why they made that playoff run. I think Goff is a game manager. I do not want my franchise QB to be that type of QB. If he proves otherwise, and I want a bigger sample than 1 season, then I’ll be comfortable (kind of) with an extension.

Your sold on Goff now, a lot of us are not.

1 Like

Here’s Goffs 2018 playoff run

60/107 (56%) 712yds (237pg) 1 TD 2 INTs
QB rating ~71 in 3 games

The Rams getting to the Super Bowl had little to do with Goff. They got by the Cowboys behind 123yds rushing from CJ Anderson and 112yds rushing from Todd Gurley (3 TDs combined). Without the dominating rushing performance, they might’ve been one and done. And he put up 3 points in the Super Bowl.

Matt Staffords 2021 playoff run

98/140 (70%) 1,188yds (297pg) 9 TDs 3 INTs
QB rating 108 in 4 games

The Rams getting to the Super Bowl was in large thanks to Matt Stafford. Jared Goff does not take the Rams to the SB. He does not overcome 4 turnovers by his teammates to win the Bucs game. He is not the QB Stafford is. The gap between them is huge.

2 Likes

Goff went to a SB with R Woods, B Cooks and the corpse of Todd Gurley at 23 years of age…

By age 32 Stafford was yet to have a playoff win-

I’m willing to let one of the most accomplished QBs under 28 years of age in NFL history have a fair shot.

1 Like

Stafford had years of Calvin, Nate or Tate, top picked TEs, Bush and highly drafted RBs…. Never sniffed a playoff win-

So factually Matt Stafford can win a SB if he has the leagues best roster….

Goff did have a shot with a truly elite group in 2017- but he was freaking 22! After that they pulled the rug on him.

Wayyyy off topics but Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, Sheed and Ben have a ring…. Almost 2- damn you Horry!!!

Ben wasn’t the ideal 5, Chauncey didn’t have the handles to be a true “1” and Sheed was drama? See ya HOF combo of Kobe and Shaq…

The DC grit, knee caps etc is an identity formula. We don’t have the weather, tax benefits, city life of NY/Chi etc- we are what we are….

We are a Midwest city with great fans that once in 20-25 years might have a shot- this group has chemistry.

Goff is the 2nd best lions QB of all time and the #1 asked to leave.

Pretending we are gonna draft Peyton Manning 2.0 and not Harrington, Ware, Long, Stanton… or even Stafford is funny as hell-

I think most people would take Bobby Layne over Jared Goff.

But I understand the position.

Stafford was not asked to leave smh…he asked to leave.

Are you saying Brandon Cooks and Robert Woods were not good? I hope that’s not the stance you are taking…

You like and believe in Goff. That’s fine and you are entitled to your opinion. He did nothing at all literally in that playoff run. Those are simply the facts. While Stafford was just about as good as it gets.

You might feel ok taking a QB that has to have everything go right, the best roster in football, and a defense that bails him out as your franchise guy. I’m not and never will be. Stafford is better at every aspect than Jared Goff at this point in their careers. Not a single thing Goff is better at, from talent to intangibles.

There’s a reason (it shouldn’t even have to be said at this point) that McVay gave up 2 #1s, a #3, and his QB for a big time loser in Matt Stafford. Because the gap truly is that far apart. He won the SB in his first try. He beat a more talented team in Tampa Bay while his teammates tried to puke the game away with 4 lost fumbles.

You can ignore what you choose to in order to support your argument. But Goff also had a loaded roster and I would say a deeper one. And suggesting the 2018 Cooks & Woods (they combined for almost 2500 yards receiving in 2018) aren’t a legit 1/2 WR combo is just silly. It’s certainly no excuse for a QB to throw 1 TD, complete 56% of his passes, and throw for less than 240 yards in 3 playoff games.

I just don’t see how in an argument to support Goff, anyone could use Matt Stafford at this point. Especially after Goffs high point in 2018 (which he sucked on the biggest stage) where he did nothing. To Staffords high point in 2021 where he could not have done more. With SB or bust as the mindset of those critical, in support, and the Rams franchise.

And for Goff, it really doesn’t matter that he was 23 when they went to the SB. Because there is no evidence to suggest he has improved since then. One could make the argument he has regressed. For me, he has a LOT to prove in order to be worthy of a contract extension. What he accomplished with a loaded 2018 team holds zero weight for me now. Especially when he preformed so poorly in the playoffs. Asking a heck of a lot out a franchise to build the best team in football in order for Goff to have a shot.

When debating sports, some will continue to move the goalposts as many times as it takes until proven “right.”

Of course we’ll never know, but for the sake of what could have been

Cooks dropped (or failed to catch) not 1 but 2 passes in the EZ (either one would have tied or given us the lead in Goff’s SB) that he had both hands on…on two separate drives, pretty sure Kupp catches both

Cooper Kupp earned SBMVP (not MS)

Just wonder if MS was dealt Cooks instead of Kupp (and vice versa) would things been different

Turns out as a Rams fan I’m happy with last years results

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct JD, which is exactly what LF said.

3 Likes

Sorry if its already been posted but this seems like an appropriate place for a Goff interview - Lions QB Jared Goff on Growth After SB loss, Leaving LA & 2022 Goals for Detroit | The Pivot Podcast - YouTube

1 Like

That was outstanding and should be it’s own thread.

who threw them the ball?