What does a Goff extension look like?

Drops happen. Pretty sure I remember Ben Skowronek dropping a wide open TD in the SB. But Stafford overcame it. Stafford doesn’t need every single thing to go right to win a playoff game or SB.

Lol you’re right. My bad I misinterpreted him. Some of the things said to fit the narrative has me just flustered and I must have assumed the worst :joy::man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Where do you have the salary cap number at in year 23 and beyond, in your opinion what increase?

I’ve said nothing “to fit a narrative.”

Kupp was on pace for over 1300 yards and 12-13 tds in 2018- and that was off a projected 115 targets! He was the best and most efficient weapon back then too, but he was a 2nd year guy….

THE 2018 RAMS SCORED 527 POINTS AND ALLOWED 384……

THE 2021 RAMS SCORES 460 POINTS AND ALLOWED 372

• so in 1 more full game, the 21’ Rams scored “67” less points!!!

• in 1 more full game, the 21’ Rams allowed 12 less points!!! Take the 27 points allowed in week 18 away, and the Rams D allowed 345 points in 16 weeks!!! Remove the 24 points the Rams scored and they had 434 points scored in 16 weeks….

• with a better team Stafford Rams scored 93 less points and Goffs Rams allowed 39 more points.

—-

That’s not a narrative- if Goff would have played with PRIME Calvin, Tate, Bush, and the Suh defenses last year in Detroit- are we pretending we wouldn’t have won 10-11 games?

Big Ben won a ring with 127 yards and 2 ints with zero TDs…

Brady had identical stats to Goff in the SB they played, but the Pats had 100 more rushing yards and ram over the Rams in the 4th quarter.

• what I KNOW AS A FACT- is that with good talent, Goff plays like a Pro Bowler and his team wins- before adopting our mess last year he had a top all time QB winning percentage….

When we suddenly win 10 games this year and his teammates love him- will we pretend it’s the TALENT around him? Pretend Chark is Calvin, and ASB is prime Tate?

Stafford won 10 games here twice in “12” years…. Hell he won 7 games or more just 6 times….

This is what a Goff extension looks like.

3 Likes

@JD9 Stafford at this point in his career is head and shoulders above Goff but a lot of what you mention as points were conversations had about Stafford at age 27-28. Cant overcome bad plays by teammates, needs a perfect team around him, arguable that his best season was 2011 (age 23 right?), seemed to have regressed overall and the common belief was that he probably wouldnt be able to get it done. Caldwell came in and Stafford improved, reduced his turnovers and appeared to turn the corner then Calvin retires defense falls apart and we hire thing 1 and 2. The rest is where we are now… my point in this is that the fact that we disregard that goff can grow is a bit disingenuous when the guy you use as your shining example had a similar career arch. Regardless it would be up to goff to do it and im not sure i believe he will, but it wont be because of what he has or hasnt done to this point.

2 Likes

Overthecap.com has 2023 projected at $225M and he’s usually pretty close. I have us about $15M under that cap number ($210M in cap commitments).

So you are suggesting Jared Goff is better than Matt a Stafford. Am I reading that correctly?

It doesn’t matter to him…

Stafford played a Cards team spiraling out of control, avoided Lambeau, and then avoided a heartbreaking loss by virtue of Tart dropping that pick…

Playing that Cards teams, a 10 win 49ers team for the 3rd time that year “at home”, and a 10 win Be gals team with a 2nd year QB and no OL surely helped the odds…. Stafford was masterful through the playoffs- I don’t dispute that.

Pretty soon it will a guy like Herbert, Mac Jones, or Tua that are 6-7 years in with no playoff wins…

Right now those guys have to navigate the Chiefs, Bills, and restocked Colts, Raiders and Broncos…. And there are only so many spots-

What if the Jags and Jets only win 5 games each this year, next year they win 6-7… do those teams start over?

1 Like

Dude what do you mean it doesn’t matter? You are the one who got his panties in a bunch because I’m not ready to hand Jared Goff an extension. I said I want to wait and see what happens the next couple years first.

You thought that was crazy as if it’s a no brainer.

Your convinced Goff is a franchise QB because what he did in 2018. I’m sorry but you are the only one right now who is convinced he’s the future.

1 Like

Maybe we’d convey our points better in a discussion vs via online message…. That is NOT what I’m suggesting

I am suggesting that if we go 10-7 and sneak in or sniff the playoffs, hell “ win a game”- what if Goff asks for an extension?

You are acting like we can simply play hardball with Goff, Hock etc- but the league doesn’t work they way anymore.

You are acting like the Rams won despite Goff and because of Stafford.

What if Kupp got better, McVay more experienced, the D better, the OL better?

Better question- what if we win a playoff game this year with Goff?

1 Like

You are right, we probably would get along better in person on the subject.

But why can’t we play hardball with Goff? He isn’t a stud I’m sorry. If he goes 10-7 I’ll be ecstatic and will love the direction of this franchise. It still wouldn’t change the fact that I’m drafting a QB of the future. And if Goff goes 12-5 the following year then there is a discussion for me.

Goff has a long way to go to get another long term extension imo. And if we draft one following a 8-9 season (more realistic imo)

Simply put, Goff isn’t a franchise guy for me. I would rather draft a 1st round talent and play him in year 2. Then he can make the 23 year old QB SB run that Goff did :man_shrugging:t2: Surrounded by a great team.

I am convinced that no one anticipated the synergy that would develop with them. Good for the Rams, they took a shot and it worked. I don’t think they are as successful with any other WR paired with Stafford.

So Herbert having M Williams, Allen, Eckler, an OL and a better D can go 11-6 and likely get a 250 extension even if they don’t win a playoff game…

Goff would have to win a division and likely have the top record in the nfc to garner consideration for an extension.

Despite Goff already leading 5 seasons with 10 plus wins (if this happened) with multiple playoff runs and wins, and “we’d consider” extending?

1 Like

Agree

When Goff is a top 10 rated QB this year it will be because of Campbell, Johnson, Chark, ASB and an injured rookie WR…

If Stafford falls off a cliff this year in production, it will be because he only has Kupp, A Rob, Jefferson, Akers and Higbee and played injured.

I’m personally not a huge believer in Goff either. I think he has potential to be a solid starting QB for us, but I don’t expect much more than that. A fringe top 12 QB if you will. We would really need to build up a very good team around him if we are to go far in the playoffs.

With that said, you can’t discount the possibility that he can be better. Facts are, he has shown he can be as dangerous as almost anybody when passing the football. His game against the Vikings and Chiefs in 2019 show how talented of a passer he can be. His consistency is lacking though. Maybe this staff can bring out that consistency? If so he can be a top 5-8 QB, IMO. He would never crack that top 5, IMO, but he could apporach it. Similar to what Matt Ryan was for the Falcons or Phillip River was for the Chargers.

I was going to make a thread about a potential Goff extension a week or so ago myself, but I thought it was too early for this discussion. Goff has a lot to prove. He has three years left on his deal. This year is to prove he belongs in consideration to be our franchise QB. If he does that he needs to build on that in 2023 to earn an extension. Say he has a year along the lines of what the original poster suggested and then follows that up with a similarly impressive start to the 2023 season, I wouldn’t be opposed to an in season extension.

2 Likes

Any contract extensions needs to have a clause where he does not comment on piping any coaches or teammates girlfriends

2 Likes

Or you just pay Goff and he takes us to a Superbowl behind a more stacked team that you didn’t waste a 1st round pick on another QB?!?

Goff puts lions in a difficult spot if he has an above average year regarding these college QB’s. One, if he does well he pushes Lions down the draft board and two, does it make the Lions think about sticking with him? What if the Lions make a long playoff run? It’s not inconceivable.

Says who??? Making some serious assumptions here.

I am not in the camp that thinks the Lions are loaded on offense. They are much better than last year but still don’t possess a top 10 offensive unit from a talent standpoint. If Goff has a monster year, there will
Not be excuses made by me.

And Stafford isn’t falling off a cliff unless that elbow shuts him down. Stafford is tough as nails. If he plays, he’s producing.

You are something else bro lol

1 Like