What is causing rash of pitching injuries

What is causing the rash of pitching injuries.

The extent that the pitch-timer is contributing to these injuries is a contentious and conflicting topic. There were actually more pitcher injuries the year before the clock was implemented than the year after. The players were miffed that the league shaved another two seconds off this season, from 20 seconds to 18 with runners on base, without consulting them.

“I’d rather someone did some research and tell me what’s actually going on,” Skubal said. “But I can’t think it doesn’t correlate (to the increase in pitcher injuries). The 20-to-18 thing this offseason, we’re shaving 10 minutes off the game. It’s like, what’s the point? That’s my thought process on it. Especially when we were told they were leaving the game alone.”

The thing is, most players, pitchers and position players alike, like the pitch-timer. They understood the purpose of the initial rule, 15 seconds with nobody on, 20 seconds with runners on.

“I was kind of a fan of it,” Skubal said. “The games are faster and more appealing to everyone. But there probably is some correlation there. It’s hard for there not to be when you are increasing someone’s pace and they can’t keep up with it.”

Cutting two seconds off the timer when there are runners on base, Skubal said, is counterproductive. That’s when pitchers are throwing out of the stretch, when the pitches are typically more stressful.

But all sides agree that the pitch-timer isn’t the only culprit here. It’s why Major League Baseball is in the middle of a significant research project with Johns Hopkins University to study and determine what the cause or causes might be.

There’s been so many theories and Hinch has heard them all.

“They say we ask less of our starting pitchers because we don’t leave them in the game long enough and they don’t throw 100 pitches anymore,” he said. “But yet we ask them to give max velocity, max shapes, max everything and train virtually all year around.

“I’m not smart enough to know what the exact culprit is, but it’s a concern.”

Teams have micromanaged pitchers and their pitchers still got hurt. Teams have gone old-school and just let their pitchers throw, and pitchers got hurt. Teams have strictly governed workloads. They’ve spent millions of dollars in biomechanics and nutrition. Pitchers still get hurt.

“It’s just so unpredictable,” Skubal said. “I was one of those guys that got limited. My rookie year they told me that because I didn’t throw at all in the COVID year (2020) that I was only going to throw 150 innings. And then the next year I got hurt. So did it work? No.

I think it’s the max effort and velo. Every team has several guys that throw 100 mph…with sliders at 90. Eventually when you’re throwing max effort every pitch that elbow or shoulder is gonna blow out.

1 Like

The resurgence of sliders the last few years when, iirc, teams got away from it in 80’s and 90’s as they thought “it” was the cause of the injuries due to the strain on the elbow, is interesting.

https://x.com/AriA1exander/status/1777087162296492141

1 Like

https://x.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1777455173947785583

I definitely think it’s this.

Do you remember Joel Zumaya? He threw so hard that he broke his arm.

It’s a very un-natural thing to put that much stress on your arm.

2 Likes

That and his love of Guitar Hero…

1 Like

Lol, I do remember that.

That was his first injury IIRC

1 Like

Because instead of learning how to pitch, they just try to throw 100+ mph.

Growing up there was really only one guy who threw 100 mph regularly. Nolan Ryan.

He also played in the era of where a starting pitcher was expected to go 8 or 9 innings every 4th or 5th day.

I don’t think the guy ever had an arm issue.

1 Like

Don’t forget about JR Richards.
Sad story with regards to him.

1 Like

I think the old time pitchers had fewer people in their ear teaching them to slot their arm a certain way to achieve a little extra spin, etc. Their arm angles were what came natural for the most part. Having your arm at a weird angle based on the results of the Skynet Pitching AI modeling how to achieve mechanical perfection don’t necessarily mesh with the biomechanical idiosyncrasies of the human condition.

1 Like

Or it’s Choice K

All of the above

Spin rate optimization, max effort full velo all the time, sweeper/slider resurgence, getting your arm dialed in on a pitch set, then adding more at different angles/grips= elbow/arm stress, over-muscling your ligament structure, not enough offseason downtime, not being afraid enough of TJ etc as a career ending thing, So Much High Stress Work as a teen, pitch gurus everywwhere…Parents pushing…man, it sucks to be a pitcher.

I have one…just one pitcher card in my baseball card collection (not counting Ohtani)…1978 Jack Morris.

3 Likes

I think the high stress work as a teen and the travel clubs is a bigger part of this than many may think.

1 Like

I really don’t think it’s the pitch clock… pitchers been getting injured a ton the past decade before the pitch clock.

Also if there is no pitch clock… it gives pitchers time to breathe more in between pitches and then can throw with max effort even more.

There is a ultimate strain on muscles and joints, and rotator cups , wrists, elbows the force behind the throws as well as pitching style all can lead to big time injuries over time.

Update on Harris’ biggest mistake to date as a Tiger executive:

1 Like

good video on the issue

2 Likes

The solution to the problem… bring back the knuckleball. It’s entertaining and you can pitch every other day.

We saw Charlie Hough pitch a few times when we lived in Pompano Beach and he was with the Marlins, just crazy. Those catchers, absolutely no idea where the ball was going to end up.

2 Likes