What is the Lions’ top need following the 2024 NFL Draft?

A kicker who can hit the long ball. The Lions have 2 starters at Safety, plus Branch.

1 Like

Edge, specifically a speed rusher since Houston is the only one on the roster. Maybe Betts or one of the UDFAs that we brought in will surprise

4 Likes

WR imo. If ARSB or Jamo go down - heaven forbid - we could be cooked.

8 Likes

I would say WR and backup safety. Would love it if we could sign Diggs back for a year. I would also love them to sign a vet pass rusher opposite Hutch because Davenport really hasn’t shown the ability to stay healthy.

1 Like

Yes- there is fear regarding depth at WR and S… but the bounty of free agents still out there is somewhat reassuring.

Chark, Boyd, Gallup, Renfrow, MVS (MVS 670 yards in 22’… more yards and similar tds to Reynolds is less snaps career)

Simmons, j Adams, E Jackson, Q Diggs, M Hyde, T Walker etc

• there are tons of guys out there to easily replace Josh and Ceedy-

The way I see it? We start Kerby, Iffy, Branch, Davis and Arnold… WAY BETTER THAN LAST YEAR…. They have already publicly stated Branch was getting a lot of safety work. Amik was better on the outside than playing in the slot… So???

If Kerby is Iffy get banged up, your #1 option to replace is Branch…. You have Davis, and Terrion Arnold outside- but then you still have Vildor and maybe Moseley… and then Amik or Rakestraw in the slot?

• if you start with the premise that staff thinks DPJ has more to offer than Josh, that they like Raymond more than most fans… AND- even T Smith had similar number to Josh over his first 5 years….

Like it or not…. ASB and LaPorta are 1 and 1A- that a projected 2,400 yards and close to 20 TDs?

I think Jamo easily hits 800 yards this year, likely more…. If we can get 400 from Raymond and 300 from DPJ- there 3,900 yards.

We are in good shape

1 Like

The FA safety depth is far better than the FA WR depth (which I’d say is no better than DPJ/Kalif, though I know many would disagree).

Boyd, Gallup and Renfrow are old/slow/slot or all three. They won’t help at all imo. MVS could, especially stylistically, but be ready to rage-fan him when he drops important passes. Chark we’ve discussed ad nauseam.

Yep, not only lack of depth but their #2 receiver has 25 career receptions, their #3 had 5 receptions with the team last season and their #4 ended the season with a pretty significant injury. Lots of ??? after St. Brown. I’m pretty secure with every other position outside of maybe the lack of vets at safety.

He would take a chunk of the money we have left. Ive been thinking of him too. @DeadStroke post draft cap analysis leaves us with approximately 10mil to spend. (After draft picks, 7mil for in season, and the yada yada). Would he come here as a back up (questionable) or as part of a 3 safety rotation? (More likely)

Yeah back up safety worries me the most. We have some depth opposite hutch, but no one can replace him if he went down anyway. I think wr is slightly less worrisome because we have so many offensive weapons. We did great the one game st brown went down last year. Id still like a wr3/4 guy for depth. But im intrigued with Vaki in the slot if necessary.

1 Like

Isaiah Williams too. I know he’s a UDFA but we paid him a ton. He’s making the team. And he has draftable tape.

Still, I don’t love our depth at all. And I think the FA safety class is far better than the FA WR class.

1 Like

Totally forgot about him. Dude is a football player. He had AWEFUL qb play and he still stood out. Not very big. Not very fast. Don’t tell him that because he won’t believe you. He is fun to watch.

Did Jalen Coker from Holy Cross sign with anyone? Id love him on the ps this season

1 Like

Yeah, Panthers. Not a bad landing spot for him.

WR by a mile.

1 Like

I’m all for a proven vet at Safety, even if it’s just to mentor the young pups. Interestingly, Diggs had a 2.24 RAS coming out of Texas and is about the same size as the few UDFA’s that will be competing for end of roster spots at DB. Those guys are much more athletic than Diggs so I assume we have a type at the position.

Diggs was never that athletic, has just always had great football instincts. I was thinking he might be a savvy vet add whose played here before. Both those Seattle safeties are still out there. Adams is good but he is hurt all the time, but maybe a spell as a 3rd safety might work?

Yep. St. Brown is a star and then a lot of question marks.

Jamo - hope he breaks out, shown flashes, been inconsistent
DPJ - had a good 2022, did nothing in 2023
Raymond - Mostly a speed gadget guy… 30 years old soon
Green - showed nothing last year

Not exactly an all star class on paper. Now maybe DPJ and Jamo break out. Sure hope so.

LaPorta and Gibbs are both going to get a ton of targets as well.

1 Like

Yeah, but just one reliable, middle-tier starter outside changes your whole outlook on the squad. Such a glaring need to me.

3 Likes

And someone like Jamo has an injury history. Acl tear, plus a hamstring issue last year. Plus a little Fan Duel thumbs sprain :joy:

2 Likes

Safety i think is OK.

Because the DBs are versatile and i think they will shift some guys all over.

CBs.
1 Davis
2 Arnold
3 Moseley

DBs
1 Branch
2 Robertson
3 Rakestraw

Saf
1 Kerby
2 Iffy
3 Vaki

And you then still have room to add 1 or 2 more.
But on the bubble
1 Dorsey
2 Gilmore
3 Vildor
4 everyone else

WR. Im ok with.
I firmly believe they are betting on Williams, Kalif, DPJ, all picking up the slack Reynolds left behind.

And DE?
They are PRAYING someone steps up this season.
Paschal, Houston, Davenport, Betts, Comish, or even Wingo and Levi.

Someone Has to take that next step

Kicker? Gotta wait till mid June when UFL ends

I think you’re right, and I’m fine with it right now too. But if injury hits - and we actually got pretty lucky in that regard last year - it goes from OK to oh shit.

Absolutely. But that means what? Cutting green? Cutting Kalif? Like you HAVE to find someone whose clearly an upgrade to make it worth it.

And in the FA market there really isnt anyone.