What is the most iconic play in Lions history?

1 Like

The winning TD pass to Amon Ra against the Vikings and Goff running to hug Dan

6 Likes

a w e s o m e

1 Like

That Gado play was the biggest screw job of all time. How ridiculous that a running back can get away with that. So why doesn’t every guy that’s about to be tackled in the backfield just throw it towards somebody or not even at somebody? Those refs should’ve been banned from ever officiating again.

4 Likes

Calvin against the Cowboys, TD catch.

6 Likes

This was my first thought. It’d get my vote.

1 Like

Well just rock me to sleep tonight…

1 Like

Off the top of my head…

Calvin catch/drop controversy.
Cowboys playoff game flag picked up.
AR hail mary.
Suh stomp.
Flowers holding calls GB FG win.
Jared Goff throws the ball away on 4th down - twice.
Dan Orlovsky runs out of bounds.
Jeff Garcia moonball.
Joey Harrington bomb to Roy Williams incredible catch that cost them the #2 overall pick.
Justin Tucker 66 yard FG.
Decker catch not eligible.
Dre Bly and Chad Johnson agree to allow each other a TD pass, and an INT.
Kevin Jones says “I’ll make you all forget about Barry”.
Tatum Bell steals from locker room.

When I think of more i’ll post them

Tons of great ones here. This one doesn’t really count, but it’s in my personal hall of shame:

Marty taking the wind in in overtime in 2002, and a complete inability to recognize his mistake.

From an article five years later…

He remains convinced that he made the right decision. The Bears were driving against the wind, with their backup quarterback (Jim Miller), and neither team had scored going against the wind that afternoon.

No matter.

Chicago marched downfield and won the game on Paul Edinger’s 40-yard field goal. Criticism of Mornhinweg came from every corner imaginable.

Four months after the game, an ESPN.com Page 2 ranking of the 10 worst coaching decisions in sports placed Mornhinweg’s call third.

“The people who were there and know all the information … know that it was the right call,” Mornhinweg said. “It was the right call then, it’s the right call now, and it’s the right call 10 years from now.”

Sigh.

Great topic and one that will be VERY fluid over the next few years.

For me the Derrick Barnes INT has a spot on the list somewhere.

1 Like

I feel like the Barry TDs against the Cowboys and Patriots are the top contenders.

Ironic iconic though, since Barry spent the first game as a decoy and I believe the Lions lost the second game

3 Likes

The first thing I thought of was the Barnes interception.

But, boy, I loved this play too.

2 Likes

For me, its the catch/no catch vs the Bears in the 2010 season opener. It was talked about and talked about. One of the most iconic plays in NFL history. I would also argue the picked up flag play vs Dallas. Games where refs screw us is 100% on brand for Lions history.

1 Like

15124992028_58680170c6_o

4 Likes

I’m not quite sure, but I think I hate you. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This sadly one of my top ones also…the pain and feeling that the league was against the Lions literally turned me off the game for a minute. And then 2 years ago that game against Seattle when the Lions stopped them on 3rd down and the refs called a "do over’ because they screwed up the clock. I had never heard of that call before or since. Which is to say I have long felt that the refs have called so many bull sit crap calls against the Lions that they do not call against the top half of the league because no one cares or did. That has all changed…wait…effing Dallas…I am pissed all over again.

I do not think for this fan base hashing over anything in the past will end well.

Trigger warning, please! Just the name Samkon Gado raises my blood pressure 20 points, I swear.

3 Likes

Taking a knee in victory formation vs the Rams in the playoffs. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

2 Likes

I am literally shaking with rage again…I had blocked that out of my memory banks. I am sure that was done to save my own life.

I am still a bit squirrely on the whole NFL officiating crews and their seemingly anti-bias towards the Lions.

The debacle at Dallas from last season is a prime example. That guy should have been fired for not knowing his own rules and also that he had been told about it pre-game and still screwed it up.

That cost the Lions the 1 seed and a trip to the Super Bowl.

1 Like