What is the most iconic play in Lions history?

The “One of the Greatest Plays in Detroit Sports History” inspired me to make this one. I can’t really remember us ever having this discussion, maybe because there wasn’t a discussion to be had until now.

You get to pick one play in Lions history you think stands alone as the most iconic play in franchise history, and if possible, defend your choice.

The Barry 47 YD TD run against the Cowboys in the playoffs

8 Likes

To be iconic I think fans outside of Lions fans have to be able to remember it. And what goes thru their mind is very important. Unfortunately I think it is the Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe touchdown in the Silverdome.

On the positive side, I am going to say Barry’s touchdown against the Patriots where he spun the guy around repeatedly. I think that play happened on Thanksgiving. If we went to the Super Bowl I think Jamo’s TD run would be a candidate. Alot of media sources are using that play as “b roll” when talking about the upcoming season.

1 Like

Sadly, the CJ no catch rule to end the Bears game. Iconic screw jobs over years :wink:

11 Likes

That was literally the first play that came to my mind too.

I have only watched the lions since like 2003.

Couple others are the Stafford TD pass to Pettigrew his rookie year to win against the Browns with a bum shoulder. The Stafford sneak to beat the Cowboys where he ran it around the left side just to make sure we couldn’t get screwed.

The most exciting season in Lions history was last year though and the play that I can remember the most is the pass to St Brown against the Rams that won it. Nothing flashy, just two guys being on the same page to secure the first Lions playoff win in 30+ years.

7 Likes

Obviously I take that a compliment to my handle.

But my favorite is definitely the Cowboys run.

The most representative and iconic of our history is definitely the Calvin overturned TD. Had the Dallas game this year eliminated us from the playoffs, that could have been a contender.

If we win and change the narrative this season, then the Barry Dallas run is back.

2 Likes

Memorable? The “Home Cooking” in the Dallas playoff game, where they picked up the flag.
The refs got so much shit, they had to screw Dallas out of the playoffs in Green Bay the following week.

2 Likes

Barry breaking 2k against the Jets

Stafford injury game against the Browns

Those two immediately come to mind

6 Likes

15 Likes

Staff coming in with the busted shoulder to win the thing. Amazing display of guts and sheer human will.

4 Likes

It’s between Dan O. and the complete the process Calvin catch.

More recently I would vote for the Jameson score.

3 Likes

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-lions-fake-punt-works-to-perfection

This behind a handful of Barry plays.

1 Like

Iconic means emblematic, and so for the Lions it has to be something SOL. Maybe Monte Clark praying for an Eddie Murray field goal?

The best is yet to come, I think. I pray.

A SB winning play will be the BNL’s most iconic highlight.

Iconic means you can look at a still picture and immediately recall the play, what happened, it was probably talked about all week on ESPN. That’s iconic.

1 Like
2 Likes

As soon as I read your post, one play came to mind immediately.

Sterling Sharpe’s catch to beat us in the playoffs.

3 Likes

CJ’s touchdown catch over triple coverage is the first thing that comes to mind for me

6 Likes

beat me to it. lol

1 Like

I think we’d rather have one of these, but for now we have Dan O.

My first thought was Sam Gatko and the Calvin didn’t complete the process TD. Yeah, the screw job in Dallas, picking up the flag came to mind too.
Then I thought, since we seem to have broken the curse, positive plays would be Barry juking the entire Dallas defense for a TD, or Calvin making a catch vs triple coverage. And now even Derick Barnes’ first interception to seal a playoff win. Our offence every game!
Things are so much better now that futility isn’t our identity.
Keep striving Brad and Dan!

1 Like