What is the positional value of WR?

Well I doubt it’s KG because of the success you noted he had here. I also don’t think it’s the money because something else would be going on that we’d know about.

couldn’t be the mighty Daniel Jones GOAT QB …nah.

These guys are just in a different league IMO. You could tell the minute they put on the jersey that they had special talent. Wilson has been playing like this since he was a freshman right out the gate. He’s going to make it in the NFL. JSN was raved about even before last year and its why Jameson left. Fields had “it”. I had my doubts until his last year as a Buckeye on whether he would get there, but it was very obvious he had rare talent.

Garrett Wilson is exactly the sort of playmaker we need to add to our offense. I don’t think there is a scenario where he is available to us and if he was, I sort of wonder if they would pass just because he is probably best in the slot (this is not to say he can’t play outside) if you want to maximize him.

Adding a burner like try turner would be great

clap GIF

You need a generational WR like CJ, Fitz, etc to justify taking one this high.

A couple of things. WR value is slightly inflated by the Terek/Adams/other deals, because it’s important for many of these WR to have a high APY. Not so with QB/Edge/LT.

Also, when you look at the top 10 WR’s, only 50% were drafted in the 1st round. LT and Edge have 70% drafted in the 1st round. 80% of IDL were taken in the 1st round, 60% CB.

This is why when I think of positional value, I not only consider the salary or APY, but I consider scarcity in finding players in later rounds.

Since we aren’t taking LT, I’d want Edge, IDL . . . and of course QB is the unicorn. I think there is a strong possibility that we can find an extremely good WR at 32 or 34.

1 Like

I missed this thread when it came out.

Jason at overthecap.com wrote a nice article on positional value last December. Data is good, just doesn’t have this years UFA signings/extensions in there.

1 Like

Lots of great value adds and posts in this thread brother.

If I’m the Packers I’m probably drafting a guy like Penning, Raihmann, or Zion Johnson along with a Chris Olave in round 1, then in 2 I would consider Zach Paschal and David Bell….

I think Olave, Bell, Amari Rodgers, A Lazard, and Watkins could be a nice well rounded WR room.

A damn cheap one too… D Bell is a pretty similar player to what Adams was coming out to.

My top 3 targets would be T Burks, D Bell, J Dotson. For different reasons I think all would blend in to a current corps.

“When you break it down into financial terms, especially when you look at the current scope of where receiver contracts are going, it’s something you’ve got to think about,” general manager Brad Holmes said this week. “Do you want to pay that money? It’s a lot of different variables that go into that, with paying a UFA or a free agent, or trading for a guy and you’ve got to sign them to a big deal, versus just trying to get one in the draft. That’s the unpredictability part of it. You just don’t know if you’ll be able to get that guy that you want in the draft. You’ve got to weigh in both ways, but there is some merit.”

For more:

A Donald
Peak JJ Watt
TJ Watt
M Garrett
J Ramsey
Peak K Mack

Nick Bosa- getting there toward above tier
Chandler Jones
J Bosa

That is the entire list of game wreckers over the past 5-6 years that could remotely justify a 20M plus APY deal…

I will say the Ty Hill and D Adams- could easily prove worthy on this list by end of 2022!

Ty Hill- last 3 healthy seasons (which is 3 of last 4) averaged about 1,375 total yards and 13 total TDs.

D Adams- last 3 healthy seasons averaged 1425 yards and 14 tds…

Both did that on an average of 150 or so targets too.

If LV suddenly has a prolific offense, and Adams has a 1400 yard All Pro season, and Miami leaps into contention thanks to 12-13 TDs from Hill…. That will tell the story…

If KC and or Green Bay draft Olave, Burks, Dotson, Bell etc and roll right back to a deep playoff run, that will also tell a story…

Many of the top paid WRs have had great stats… D Hop, Cooper, Etc… but not really been game wreckers. Kupp was a game wrecker last year!

It seems like more WRs - THINK- they are game wreckers than other positions…. You don’t see as many 9-10 sack DEs holding out or demanding trades.

The money Kirk and Diggs got was silly.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.