What to Expect from Ben Johnson

I think how the Ben Johnson situation plays out is a big storyline for this season. First time OC in the league. A lot of the kool aid on here is flowing so of course it’s a lot of assumptions of success, but there could be some growing pains too. The biggest thing that’s encouraging for me is that he should know the personnel and QB already. Hopefully that smooths the “new offensive system” edges a little bit.

3 Likes

Amen. People forget the keys points you’ve made about the two biggest-stage games of Goff’s career.

In the NFC championship against the Saints, Goff put that team on his back in the 2nd half. That’s largely forgotten or dismissed because of the botched interference call, but Goff was nails that game in the most hostile away environment I’ve ever seen.

You’ve covered the main points of the Super Bowl. I’d add only that McVay refused to adjust his play calling in the face of the Patriots’ new-look 5-1 fronts, which definitely gave the Rams trouble. McVay called for a run ONCE on the 20 plays the Pats were in dime coverage.

But, yeah, JG’s to blame.

2 Likes

LOL - I know, right. I’m watching this dude do exactly what I figured he would do in the pros too.
OUCH!!!

Agreed on Ben for sure. And an even bigger question to me is who is calling the plays next year?

MC/DC proved to be a pretty creative play caller the last 6-7 games last year. Goff and St. Brown took off when he called the plays. How much impact did Duce Staley or Ben Johnson have in that?

Dan Campbell often gets the meathead stereotype by the sports media. But, he did play Tight End in the NFL for 10+ years, which is one of the hardest positions to play in football, plus he learned under Sean Payton for 5 years as assistant head coach, one of the best offensive minds in football.

It’ll be interesting to see how the offensive play calling and scheming plays out in 2022.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.