Whats your board for Lions at #2

KT or Hutch.

I’m that BPA guy.
Hutch
Ickey
I’d prefer Hutch.
The thought of having Ickey on the line with Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, and Sewell, with Brown, Nelson, and Vaitai as backups is growing on me.
That’s a long term solid Oline, that gives you flexibility and has trade value that won’t leave you high and dry.

Ouch and ew…

1 Like

Ekwonu scares the shit out of me. He’s fun to watch and he’s got a mean streak, but there’s a lot more to playing OL in the NFL. Especially today’s NFL, where the ability to pass block is paramount. I think he could get Goff killed for awhile, and frankly I’m not sure he’ll ever be anything more than a guard. I mean, just look at this quote from his NFL.com profile from a scout:

“It’s like watching Greg Robinson all over again when he was coming out of Auburn. He’s got that same rawness in protection and power in the running game. (Ekwonu) is a more thoughtful player and more likely to get his issues fixed.” – Area scout for NFC team

If the guy doesn’t improve as a pass protector, then he’s gonna disappoint from his draft position. That’s a fact. It’s why I prefer Charles Cross who’s basically the opposite sort of prospect: great at pass protection but needs to improve in the run game. Give me that guy. It’s not like he’s soft, either, he plays plenty tough. He’s just not tossing guys aside on tape like Ekwonu.

Don’t get me wrong I still like Ickey, I’ve got him graded in the mid-first and he’s got a really high ceiling. It’s just too easy for me to see the path where he busts.

2 Likes

This order is fluid at the moment, so I don’t want anyone excavating this in 2024 to prove that I’m a hypocrite and an idiot. I’ll concede both labels…

Thibs–I’m under Ian Cummings sway for this micro-second.
Hutch
Jermaine Johnson
Travon Walker
Trade Down
Anyone but Willis
Willis

3 Likes

Us taking Ekwonu is perfect. If he has a few issues with pass protection he needs to work on, well I’m not asking him to play tackle right away. We’ll have Decker for at least 3 more years. Either Decker or Sewell is bound to miss a few games over the next 3 years so he’s going to get his chances. And in the mean time I’m assuming we’re going to be working on his pass protection. He’s a perfect pick for us. He’s going to be a monster guard with a very high chance of being a terrific tackle in a few years. Way less risk than almost anyone else other than maybe Hutch.

Liking this just to promote more Mike McMahon discussion on the board

2 Likes

I’m going same as @Thats2 top 4, though I’d probably move Johnson up to 5.

(DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how to evaluate NFL prospects, and no one should listen to me. Probably about anything.)

1 Like
  1. Defensive Edge (%75 Thibodeaux - %25 Hutchinson)
  2. Trade down (stay in top 10)

I’m guaranteed 1 of the 3.

1 Like

Oh man I disagree, I think he’s very risky. As risky as Greg Robinson was… sometimes these guys just never figure out how to pass protect. Robert Gallery, Alex Leatherwood, Ereck Flowers, Levi Brown, Jeff Otah, Gosder, on and on and on. Most had to be moved inside cause they were getting their QBs killed.

But this place would be boring if we all agreed and I actually DO like Ekwonu quite a bit, I just think he comes with a far, far lower floor than you do.

2 Likes

I’d take Neal over Ekwonu hands down–even with the tackle situation cemented in place here.

I don’t think Ekwonu is that bad at tackle though, but probably has a few things to work on. I mean Sewell struggled at LT for us last year, so it’s a lot to ask a rookie to step right in. If you get Orlando Pace, that’s great, but you don’t usually get that.

I don’t like Neal’s tape. He gets beat wide quite often and Alabama only survives it because Bryce Young has such high pocket awareness.

Oh I’m with you on Neal, I’m not a huge fan either. I have Cross ranked 1st but he’s not really a fit for us since he HAS to play tackle. Then Ickey, then Neal much later. I don’t think he’ll bust (guys his size almost never bust), I just think he’ll be kinda average. Like Trent and Orlando Brown.

2 Likes

This is me too. Personally I think if the Lions are forced to pick at #2 I hope it’s a pass rusher. Whomever they choose and they love is fine by me. I just think the defense desperately needs a guy who can get after the QB. Hard to acquire those players and with guys like Hutch and Thibs and Walker at the top of this draft, it feels like a great opportunity.

1 Like

Strongest O line beats the strongest D line. Refs, you guys. They control the game. One or two mean O line guys aren’t enough for the LIONS. We need 6 junkyard dogs. Green Bay can hold your precious Hutch all day.

1 Like

Well I will be shocked if the Lions go OL at 2
My guess is the odds approach zero

But hey, I make no claims on expertise

2 Likes

I can see the Lions drafting this guy, playing him at Guard. And before the trade deadline, trading Decker and moving Sewell to LT. At that time, slide Ekwonu to RT. Now you have a cheap T tandem that’s extremely talented and can grow.

It’s unlikely. But, I can understand the logic, cost and talent.

1. Punter and play him at linebacker
  2. Long snapper and play him at safety

You know really embrace the concept of positionless football. That and it would be entertaining.

2 Likes

Despite my persistent efforts to portray myself as humble, I’m sensing a power vacuum and will now devote the next 4 weeks to positioning my brand as knowledgeable and assured. Maybe change my handle and re-invent myself as DraftMessiah…

2 Likes

LOL - I don’t even now who that is.