What's Your Reaction to Campbell as Head Coach?

Whatā€™s Your Reaction to the Likelihood of Campbell as HC?
  • Excited - This is the guy I wanted, and Iā€™m pumped.
  • Good Hire - Maybe not a home run, but a probably a solid double or triple.
  • Meh - No real opinion, average hire.
  • Disappointed - Not excited, little reason to be optimistic.
  • Angry - This is stupid, as bad as it could be, and Iā€™m fired up.

0 voters

Iā€™m interested to see the outcome. Some posters have said that theyā€™re blown away by the negativity. I actually think itā€™s more disappointment and confusion rather than hostility.

Canā€™t vote until itā€™s official!

Iā€™m excited but he wasnā€™t the person I wanted. But Iā€™m still excited. Curious about what happensā€¦

So if I have no real opinion that would be ā€œmehā€?

Angry and fired up doesnā€™t describe my emotionsā€¦ But ā€œas bad as it could beā€ doesā€¦ Iā€™d say Iā€™m disappointed and have no faith in the hire

1 Like

I donā€™t know till I see who they bring in for the Coordinaters. Itā€™s meh right now

Definitely meh. I just donā€™t have a real feel on him at all.

1 Like

Thatā€™s myself as well. Iā€™m more curious as to how this turns out than anything.

2 Likes

I voted meh but am cautiously optimistic. I am getting old and just donā€™t have the energy to be mad at something like this.

2 Likes

Meh. Campbell is just like all the other options, they were either looking for their last chance or their first chance. This wonā€™t change until there is a real front office in Detroit. It could work, but they will suck next year either way.

I do like the Holmes hire more than I did BQ.

Fire Campbell! Someone had to be the first to say it. :joy:

4 Likes

Having watched the Indy game last week and pulling for them as I was, I became irritated with Reich for his chasing points the way he did. If Ballard doesnā€™t have buyerā€™s remorse already, a decent season from the Lions next year could do it.

2 Likes

So did Dan CamPbell get hired or did this guy Cambell get the job?

1 Like

Jay Glazer at FoxSports is saying Campbell has been hired to be our HC. I suspect he will do well at connecting with his players, and having Spielman has to be helpful. So, Iā€™m kinda hopeful, but heā€™s another 1st-time HC and thatā€™s kinda scary when you also have a 1st-time GM. Itā€™ll be interesting to see who is selected to be our OC and DC. If itā€™s me, I think they oughta keep Bevell, but maybe hire a new DC. Iā€™m at the point where I donā€™t trust nobody, show me somethinā€™ first. Still hopeful though, canā€™t help it.

Is this the coach of the Lions youā€™re asking about? Why would anyone care? Nothing has been announcedā€¦ weā€™re all lionizedā€¦ absolutely no one on this board has any clue how it will work outā€¦ put me in the category of ā€˜I donā€™t give a shit!ā€™

The fact that is not Matt Patricia has me excited. He could be the local pee wee league coach and I would not care as long as MP is GONE. I was ambivalent to him as a prospect - 2 weeks of watching the team play for him and I knew he was a failure. I had to eat that bad taste every week for over two more years - as we all did. There is absolutely no way he Campbell can be worse.

Itā€™s disappointment because the process this time was sold as different. This time they were going to cast a wide net. This time they werenā€™t going to jump at the first guy on their mind. This time they would be thorough and the result would be the best coach and GM for the Detroit Lions.

A wide net is cast. They take their time vetting a wide range of candidates in both the pro and college ranks. They then start issuing a wide range of interview request. After this long and thorough process the Detroit Lions determined that the best person to lead the Lions to a Super Bowl out of the entire pro and college ranks is AHC/TE coach Dan Campbell. How is that result NOT disappointing? How does that not suck the life out of Detroit Lions fans?

Itā€™s not about people not wanting to give Campbell a chance. Everyone is going to root for Dan Campbell, because thatā€™s what we do. Itā€™s about being told out of the entire football world, this is the guy. Personally, I would rather they just zeroed in on Dan Campbell right out of the gate and hired him. That I can explain away as the Lions being the Lions and they donā€™t weight options. What leaves me in disbelief is they cast a wide net across the entire NFL and college ranks and still determined Dan Campbell was the best guy for the job. That doesnā€™t leave a lot of hope that the Lions get it and this will be different.

6 Likes

I think too many of us see an XL Lombardi or a TE from an 0-16 team. Or we see three youtube interviews and conclude thatā€™s all there is to know.

We forget that the team has leadership woes and that leadership is the greatest trait Campbell has (reportedly).

We dismiss that Chris Spielman and an advisory group of former players had a say in this.

Iā€™m not saying this is going to work, but for a group of people who literally know so little about the communications and effort behind the scenes, we sure do assume an awful lot.

4 Likes

If most of the Den is pissed, then itā€™s probably a good hire since everyone was sooooo happy with the Patricia hireā€¦

Iā€™m fine with it and excited to see what happensā€¦

4 Likes