When is Goffs extension announced?

• Today April 25th
  • April 25th - April 30th
  • May
  • June - Start of season
  • During the Season
  • Does not get extended this year.
0 voters

Maybe they take a look at Hooker in both training camp and preseason before making a final decision.

Tonight, 5 minutes after Caleb is picked.

1 Like

stand out goofy movie GIF

Brad is going to take over the screen behind goodell as caleb is being announced to present goff has signed for 4 more years. Goodell will fall through the trap door unable to say calebs name and the crowd will start chanting “Jared goff! jared goff!” As jared, arsb, sewell, and eminem all come up on stage and throw down a disstrack for the rest of the league.

1 Like

I would crack up if the Lions had a press release at 7:58 pm EST tonight announcing Goffs extension. The crowd would go nuts every time a QB is picked in the 1st round with Jared Goff chants.

At this point I see no rush.
And I see a few things that are happening that the Lions are going to prioritize first.

1 4/27/24-4/29/24 Draft
2 4/29/24+ UDFA
3 4/30/24+ UFA Fill holes with vets
4 6/01/24 Post June 1st Cuts from other teams
5 6/01/24+ NFL Voiding Suttons cap hit.
6 6/05/24 Mini Camp

7 Goff Extension in this time.

8 Mid July Pre Season Camp.

We get close to 4th of July and no news ill be worried. But not till then.

I think the holdup is structure and term, not dollars.
The Lions want to extend him but more of a shorter term Daniel Jones type of extension. Two years of real commitment.
I think Goff wants a finish my career in Detroit type deal.
That’s why Goff is doing all the press about his love for Detroit and how it’s the best thing that has happened to him.
I think it is true and that’s the way he feels, but he also wants the organization to give him a true Franchise deal that says he is the long term QB.

1 Like

I think you may be spot on here. Like we are fine with giving him a big annual salary just not looking to make the contract 5 plus years.

Here is the problem with extending Goff more than 3 years. Is if HH is the next in line he will want his starter money. And you can not pay 2 QBs starter money. If you sign Goff for 5 years you are basically saying the HH is trade bait. The whole HH thing has always bothered me. I just did not love the pick. My main issue was his health and age. The Lions are investing a ton of development into a player that right now looks like he may kind of slide out of the org. I would have much rather they take a young kid if they were thinking they may sit for 3-4 years.

Anyway, I do not know how you do not sign him. Goff has done what no one has been able to do for 50 years. I am not sure how you let he walk away or do not lock him up.

You are spot on.
The Lions have to retain Goff, he is a local hero, besides being a very good QB.
But I don’t think they are ready to commit for 5 years, especially without getting a good look at what they have in Hooker.
I would like to give Goff the fake 4 year extension Daniel Jones got that is only guaranteed for 2 years. But Goff wants a real 4/5 year extension like Hurts, Lamar, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, that is 4 plus year handcuffs.
I would like for the staff to get a full camp, preseason, and regular season practices to evaluate Hooker. At that point they will know if he has what it takes to be a #1 QB.
Goff has earned two more guaranteed years. That can be in an extension or the final year of this contract and a Franchise tag.
I would give Goff a 4 year $200M contract but only guarantee $100M. If he is the guy he earns it all. We don’t cut a QB that is performing at a high level.
If he isn’t the guy, or Hooker becomes the guy, we can trade or cut Goff after those first two years without a big cap hit.

https://x.com/netflix/status/1783511327656288542

2 Likes

My question is why? What in that list of activities prevents them from getting the extension done?

Is it that you think the Lions’ management team is unable to multi-task?

Is it that you think our management team thinks all these things are more important than getting our franchise QB stabilized?

Or is it you think each of these activities are going to nickel and dime dollars away from Goff’s compensation?

More or less,
1 they will simply change how the cap looks going forward, so they will have to have goffs contract to fit everything else thats gonna get added between now and mid june.

2 more or less no pressure yet. So negotiations arnt super hammered down yet. Once all those other things are done. They will have nothing else to do but sit in a room and hammer it out.

Thats why it will worry me if its not done or super close by the 4th of July. Because thats all they have to do.

I guessing it was about the same time they were taking the picture of him and his lady in the Goff’s fiancée thread?

Awesome trailer!

JA-RED GOFF! JA- RED GOFF!

I suspect Goff and the front office are more in sync than many think. And I think a deal is more or less already agreed to. You can see it in their body language and how they respond to questions. Consider the optics here. We had Sewell and Amon Ra performing at an All Pro level on their rookie contracts

If we gave Goff his new contract before them it might not have set well with the young guys. Goff has already got his historic payday and already made generational money

I bet Goff told Holmes to take care of the guys first then get it done. Because that’s the kind of dude he is

1 Like