Where are they now: Bubba Baker

One of the biggest (of many) mistakes Russ Thomas ever made–being too cheap to pay a truly dominant player.

I think everyone who saw him play loved Bubba Baker

1 Like

Amazing thing here which I never realized is that Bubba Baker had 23 sacks in 1978. That was and would still stand as the NFL single season record for Sacks- AS A ROOKIE! However, because the NFL didn’t recognize Sacks as an official statistic until 1982, Michael Strahan holds the record with 22.5. Incredible.

3 Likes

Drafting Baker, then the next year, Sims. I really, REALLY thought we were heading toward big time!

1 Like

I so loved watching him play.

The thing about not counting most of his sacks is crap. It’s not like there isn’t a full film record of them.

4 Likes

Indeed Mr. Spielman. Easily verifiable. The NFL ought to rectify this.

Deacon Jones would hold the record in that case. I’ve seen rough guesstimates for him at 30+ in a season, again with a lot fewer passing opportunities. He may have been the best defensive player ever

I do LOVES me some Bubba Baker however.

2 Likes

Yeah and it should have been 21.5 for Strahan as Favvvvrah gave him that one sack by falling to the ground instead of throwing the ball away. I have a customer that always has his BBQ at their customer open house (it’s… ok sorry Bubba). They view him as a Brown… I of course call BS.

1 Like