Where does Anthony Richardson get drafted?

I’ve brought this up to a few Seahawks fans and they haven’t
much appreciated my feedback.

I don’t think Geno Smith is the type of QB fans love. It wouldn’t cause an issue at all imo.

Still have picks 20, 37, & 51…yeah if Richardson is there at 5 I would be pretty surprised if they passed

You think his hammy drops him at all now?

They aren’t comparable. The real guys said 3rd round on Willis, those same people are saying top 10 now w AR15……what happens if the lions take him? How you gonna handle it?

1 Like

I keep seeing people post this stuff, but I guess I just see it totally different. It’s funny how when you draft a guard or safety or tight end in the top 10 - it’s fine. But if you draft a QB with crazy upside it’s “risky.” Why? What is he totally busts and fails miserably. So what. You don’t have to sign guys like that to MONSTER contracts like you did back in the Stafford and Suh days. You know AR needs to be developed - so if you take him, make sure you have a guy who can start for a couple years on the roster along with him. If AR pans out - you have a lottery ticket. If not, you move on. The Cardinals did this with Josh Rosen a while back. They drafted him, he sucked, and they moved on.

There is this weird notion that you “set your franchise back several years” if you miss at QB, and that originated from a different time period and fans haven’t adjusted since. If the Lions, who took Jamo at 12, missed on that pick… and Jamo turns out to be a bust at WR… fine. It sucks, but misses happen, and they’ll be fine. But if Jamo was a QB it would be “risky” and “the sky is falling” if it doesn’t work out. It’s so weird. If the Raiders take him at 7 and have a vet starting and they realize after a year or two that AR totally blows - fine. They weren’t going anywhere without him in the mean time. If they draft say Gonzalez there instead, it’s not like oh man they could have had Gonzo they’d be in the Super Bowl.

People recognize that QB is the most important position in sports, but yet they are scared to death to take a shot at the position. Happy to take a shot on an off ball LB or something though that correlates like 1% to winning.

5 Likes

I think you have selective memory. Most in the media were saying Willis was a 1st rounder. I said:

Continuing the discussion from Willis Pro Day:

The media said:

1 Like

The problem I see with either Seattle or Detroit landing AR is Chicago traded past both of them with Carolina. So now there are three definite teams that seek a QB in Carolina, Houston, and Indy at 4.

Maybe Will Levis is more highly thought of than I believe, or maybe the Texans won’t go QB. But it appears that the Cardinals are now in the drivers seat for the last coveted QB. If they stay put and draft one of Anderson or Carter, that leaves AR to Indy. If they trade back to 4 they’ll still get their pick of Anderson/Carter. If they trade back to five, they’ll get one of them.

This whole situation is really one I don’t like for the Lions. I prefer to either have a shot at one of the top three QBs or one of Anderson/Carter . I’m just hoping the Cards really like Wilson to allow one of those players to fall to us.

Then you lose your job that pays you millions of dollars a year.

I think Brad/Dan understand that in today’s NFL salary cap world, you need significant playing time from guys that aren’t getting paid a ton so you can afford to keep the guys on your roster that you really want to keep. Eventually you are going to have to make Sewell the highest paid OT in the league. The year after that Aiden & Jamo will be up.

We need quality starters at #6 & #18. Hopefully another quality starter between our 2nd’s. If you continue to add at least 2 quality starters a year in the draft, plus keeping your core veterans with a sprinkle of good contract guys, you can continue to win year after year and continue to build your roster until you are consistently a playoff team and SB contender.

We aren’t in a position that we need to take a huge risk. Let’s continue to build. Neither Richardson nor Willis fit our current offensive system at all. You don’t drastically change your offense for a rookie back up QB. If we are going to draft a QB to learn behind Goff, I would look at guys that have a really high completion percentage on short/medium routes but still have a solid enough deep ball to keep it a threat. Someone tall with the ability to move in the pocket. Running outside the pocket is nice but not if you have to sacrifice the more important QB traits.

1 Like

It totally depends on how they view Richardson. He’ll be gone by six IMO, and I’m not predicting that we will select him, but I truly do believe we went to Gainesville so often bc of him. Occam’s razor kind of thing.

1 Like

Nope, nice try. I said 3 months before the draft that he was a round 3 pick. And my sources were people in the nfl and in the media. Also you don’t seem to know how it works. The number 1 thing media types and football types who write mocks hate is fans like you who trash them for a mock where they HAVE to put people in certain spots bc it’s their job to create clicks. Literally this week there are mocks coming out that have players even at 18 and the writer of the mock has said 100% I don’t have this person in the top 100 players but I have to put him here for this mock.

Yes you nailed it. Clearly Brad understands how important it is to draft guys who play right away. That’s why he went after Levi, who was injured and missed his first 2 years. Then drafted Jamo coming off a major injury that wiped away his entire rookie year. So yes, Brad clearly would never draft a guy who needed a year or two to develop at the sports most important position * insert eye roll until they fall out of my head *

Clearly my entire post went right over your head. My point is why is it a “huge risk.” I already gave all the reasons why it’s not. This is old skool thinking from back when top 10 contracts given to bad draft picks would kill your franchise. That was fixed more than a decade ago. Old skool thinking.

First off, coaches contracts are guaranteed. If they get fired they don’t “lose millions of dollars,” it’s fully guaranteed. Back to the point - If Jamo turns out to be a bust, do you think we will fire Brad? The Lions took him near the top 10 and traded up to do it. He was coming off a massive injury, has maturity issues, and was a huge overall risk. Especially since he only real important trait was speed and he was coming off a major leg injury. How is that “more” of a risk than taking a QB with traits that are some of the best of all time? It’s weird that it’s ok to draft a WR with injury and maturity issues near the top 10 and if he busts - fine. But if you do it with a QB you automatically get fired. Strange way of thinking.

It also feels like posters like WCLF are going to turn this into a specific argument about whether the Detroit Lions should take AR in the 2023 draft. That’s not my point. I’m discussing the mindset behind seeing drafting a QB as a “risk” as if it were 2008 all over again. I personally would draft the best players available at 6 and 18 and then run it back with Goff and Ben Johnson. That’s me. But this belief that it’s “risky” to draft a QB and that you “will get fired” if one doesn’t work out is antiquated from a draft contract system that expired over a decade ago.

2 Likes

Taking a TE in the top 10 is most definitely not “fine.” :joy:

I just wanted to jump in to clarify what he said and how it applies. Back when all of those sources had Malik Willis at the top of the draft, QB90 talked to his real NFL personnel connections who said he’s viewed as a 3rd rounder amongst “real” NFL people. It was a case of where the media hype didn’t match the reality of how Willis was viewed amongst people who were talking casually ad truthfully about him.

QB90 is saying that when he talks to the same NFL personnel, they view AR much more favorably than Willis and he has a legit shot and going high. He’s not just a media creation.

2 Likes

Which is why I’m thinking 2nd round.

Respectfully there’s guys in media that have a track record of being right due to being good scouts or having good connections.

None of those people had Willis going that high.

Those same people do have Richardson going top 10.

I’m not a scout but I’ve heard and watched multiple people explain the difference between them and it’s a tell to compare them

We’ll see though

For example, the Jets and Zach Wilson. If they get Rodgers this offseason they’ll be a legit Super Bowl contender without any contribution from the #2 overall pick. And it will buy them some time to try again.

2 Likes

Great example. I understand that 15-20 years ago this wasn’t the case, but it’s wild that fans are still operating under this same outdated mindset. His cap hit last year was 7 million and this year its 9 million. So what like the equivalent of Charles Harris? It’s this idea that it’s so “risky” that I take issue with.

Thanks for the great example.

2 Likes

What media guys are you referencing that didn’t have Willis going in the 1st round?

1 Like

Who are “those people” ?? Gladly share their names and I will do an internet search of “those people & Malik Willis” and you will see they had him slotted into the 1st round as well.

1 Like

Theres some rumors that carolina moved up to 1 to take richardson

1 Like