Where we went wrong here at the Den

1. Wrong RB. Campbell came from Kamara land. We just went Bama game breaker last year. We signed DMONT to upgrade JWill, we needed to upgrade Swift who is getting shipped out like Okudah. @BigNatty tried to tell us

2. TE scarring from those 1st round pick. Couldnt entertain the thought of a TE early. Even myself . I debated FOR TE but Strange/Kraft round 3. Turns out the mock community was right pegging us with taking the #1 or 2 TE off the board (they usually had us at 18).

3. We spent sooo much time on this Kancey vs AA stuff. 3T was NEVER in consideration . We are loaded at guys that can rush inside. So obvious we needed a run stuffer.

4. Holmes set me up with interview , days in ST Louis adding the DL going back to the well. He set the whole league up with that one. Edge wasn’t a thought at all. We drafted 3 and claimed Cominsky last year.

5. Some of us here could see past the Anzalone contract & see the greatness in Campbell. But we didn’t realize HE is the QB of the Defense that our organization coveted…and how important it was to not miss on that.
    To take him at 18 says more to me than taking Hutch at 2.

6. I made topics about Brian Branch being the perfect fit for our secondary. It became an after thought once we got CGJ. His lackluster combine made in an after thought. I circled back to bump the thread and we had crickets. We under estimated how much THIS star/NB S position means in today’s football. CGJ & Harris are on 1 year deals…this guy could end up being our best player in the secondary …and we just stopped talking about him.
    Kerby deep…Branch at the intermediate level. Sooo sick

That’s it , that’s my recap if you care

33 Likes

Dude, he came right out and told us, “nobody was ever sorry we drafted Gurly”.
Nobody was listening, but, I think we’ve all heard him say it.

14 Likes

Nice post Jman!

2 Likes

Outstanding and thoughtful. You nailed it. I would say that will Anderson was supposedly top of the chart for Holmes so edge was a thought at least

5 Likes

I blame alcohol and having jobs that have nothing to do with football. It wastes our time and screws up our perspective.

16 Likes

I didn’t think Anderson was top of the board. He doesn’t have elite measurables like von Miller did. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a very average player.

1 Like

I’m still concerned about DT. Maybe they think Levi is going to be healthy

5 Likes

I was not going all Nostradamus. I felt we really needed a RB, I love both Bijan & Gibby’s game. knowing we can get Gibby later, I prefer him to Bijan. I truthfully like Gibby’s running style better…& the break-away speed is more appealing to me. I wanted him, & would have done that if I were in charge, but I had no clue what Holmes was actually going to do. Sure am happy though. He will be easily one of my favs, & possibly behind fox only…even as much as I love Sewell.

Holy shit we have a lot of quality human beings on our team.

9 Likes

Branch was not forgotten what i think happened was we thought Holmes might take Spoon an then at 18 we would go DL. We never thought RB an for LB it wasn’t it appeared in the brain cells of Holmes. We as fans need to pay more attention to Holmes an understand they really are building way many here want.

Just his choice of players doesn’t often agree with fans an that’s ok he does know more than us even if we think he doesn’t.

He had a good OL an that’s about it when he an Dan took over. He had to clean house first year an get some cap room for future. He continued to build OL an slowly has built DL some don’t think he has but staff does. Now he has added a stud LB an resigned a experienced LB that plays better than fans think. Look at what this team looks like now we have 18 players for are secondary right now.

We will after Jamo gets back be solid at WR an TE is now 4 deep. At worse we have a back up QB who has shown he is good at school an would have gone a lot higher had he not been injured.

Take a Good Look at the Players we have now an some depth or PS players even coming from UDFA
This is a very good roster an Holmes has done it in two seasons 3 drafts.

2 Likes

The Lions hope at 12, we can clearly see now, was for Bijan. Obviously. Bijan would have been Gurly+

Can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes…you might get what you need: A playmaker like Gibbs.

4 Likes

The instinctiveness and IQ of the defense took exponential jump with additions of Captain Jack and Master Branch.

8 Likes

No average player! But he won’t be what people expect from a top-of-class edge player. Probably a full step below that. Glad the disappointment won’t be ours.

1 Like

Awesome breakdown!!!

Still not 100% sure how I feel about the draft, but it’s better than my initial reaction to the picks.

2 Likes

Fantastic post. I don’t think you missed anything. Well done,

5 Likes

Who can obviously see this? Where? Brad said he was comfortable taking Gibbs at 6 but traded down for more capital. This while knowing he was targeted by multiple teems in the top 15 (jets and pats). Everyone here loved Bijan. Several teams and scouts had Gibbs rated higher. Just because your belief system got shattered doesn’t mean it was ever true in the first place.

6 Likes

Jman, totally spot on. I appreciate your voice in a BIG way.

Branch is my favorite pick this draft but I also LOVE Jack Campbell. If these picks were flipped (Branch and Campbell) I would feel like that was the best picks ever!! But Draft expectations are crazy weird and they threw me off.

2 Likes

Great Write up man, agree with everythhing

i will say that im still somewhat recovring from the gibbs pick, 3 days later

that shit was so unexepected

3 Likes

Had this argument with a couple people in a Bijan thread, sadly they were blind to the logic

2 Likes

I will reiterate something i said when jamaal wasnt resigned in regard to swift… swift was never going to be the guy that took the five yard play inside and often turned those positive plays into negative ones as he looked to bounce. Jamaal i believe was favored last year because he would go north and south to get that yardage but he also was limited and couldnt really generate additional yards when the play wasnt there as well as being limited as a pass catcher.

This is where i think montgomery and gibbs excel, they seem to always be using their vision to hit the hole and while also being plus receivers. It makes our offense less predictable and i believe will lead to less negative running plays overall. I liked swift but duce was right to push him

3 Likes

Nothing to get upset about. When the villain filled all the holes in free agency the draft became unpredictable. We as lions fans are used to reading the holes in the team and filling them. When the holes are filled and you look at the length of the contracts then the picks come to fill 2024. Thats how the draft went. This class will be more about 2024. Its a beautiful thing when you can draft and let the rookies win the job or be ready when needed vs thrown in the deep end right away.

7 Likes