Who do you want the Lions to take at 2 if Hutchinson goes 1?

Ok so Aidan Hutchinson is off the board here, and I only did this to spice things up a bit because I feel a lot of people would just pick him.

Not who do you think, today, who do you want?

Who do you want at 2?
  • Kayvon Thibodeaux
  • Kyle Hamilton
  • Derek Stingley Jr.
  • Kenny Pickett
  • Malik Willis
  • Evan Neal/Ikem Ekwonu

0 voters

Trading down is not an option

Also I put Neal and Ekwonu together because of the low likelihood we end up taking either of them. They also kind of play the same position.

Where’s the “anyone but Malik Willis” option? LOL

4 Likes

In this scenario I’m taking KT.

3 Likes

I’m just messing btw.

1 Like

I’m trying to look at the sheer can’t miss value of taking a Pro Bowl type Olineman there in Ekwonu who could allow us to offload Vaitai, throw that money elsewhere and provide excellent insurance for both Decker and Sewell. No question it wouldn’t be like taking a terrible starter and turning that position into a strength, like you could do with Hamilton. But Big V to Ekwonu would be an upgrade and he has the feet to do everything Vaitai could do in space and then some, we don’t really downgrade at all. Yes it may be adding to an embarrassment of riches, but we finish the oline and it should become one of the best in the NFL.

When you lose the opportunity to take Hutch the “can’t miss” situation at EDGE takes a big hit. Tibbs has a ton of talent, but you need him to bring it a lot more. His bust potential or say 2OA cost and 3rd round pick play is much higher than Hutch. Because of this, you start having to really think about it IF no trade down.

I probably put Ekwonu from a grade perspective over KT. Hamilton is tempting for the skillset he could bring, but… PB Olineman or PB EDGE trumps PB Safety. So… my vote went to Tibbs. I’m betting on the upside and him playing in wide formations where he can use his explosion. I think our staff can wring out the best from him and when he starts getting better… he can be worth that 2OA pick. I think the upgrade KT brings on the EDGE especially with ROk coming back from injury is more significant than the upgrade from Vaitai to Ekwonu does, at least early on.

5 Likes

I went Thibs. Hamilton is a very close second in this case.

1 Like

I went Hamilton even though I feel DE has more value, I think Hamilton is can’t miss pick (no bust at all) vs Thibs. Don’t get me wrong Thibs has ALL the tools, but he may not like Detroit because it’s not a big market team. Just get that gut feeling he wouldn’t be all in.

I also think Hamilton is going to be a big playmaker, someone who changes a game several times in a season.

4 Likes

Kyle Hamilton is going to be a top safety in the league, so I’d take him–even with the lack of DE the Lions have.

1 Like

Went Hamilton only because too many people are down on Thibs.

No idea really …

FWIW, I don’t want to draft a safety at #2

This is tough for me. Can’t decide between Willis and Hamilton. I could vote right now and then likely change the vote after supper. The money aspect says “don’t be stupid, take Willis”. The immediate impact and fit screams Hamilton.

No Hutch, no trade down? You’re a sadist, HSV.

I will vote, but I’ve got to think about this.

4 Likes

There’s no fun in the blatantly obvious poll answers. Gotta spice it up a little bit.

2 Likes

Why not a chess piece like leal the dt/de?

2 Likes

If no elite DL, I take top OL. The game gets easy when you win the trenches.

As 3rdRGR said, by making big V expendable, you free up a bunch of cap and likely get a pick back. That cap savings and/or a future 1st rounder could go towards a FA DE, ending you up in the same place.

It’s all about filling needs. One game changing safety like hamilton is not terrible, but I think the need is depth there and Holmes can get more value with later picks for Safety.

4 Likes

Where is the “lay down and die” option?

1 Like

I don’t think Mike Williams can be drafted again.

I don’t think cutting Vaitai would net us a comp pick back because he’s signed through 2024.

Cut players are not a part of the comp pick formula. The entire premise behind comp picks is a player who reaches natural free agency and chooses another club, despite what the current club is offering. It was a safeguard put in place to agree with free agency. The ironic part is that the best teams have benefitted the most from the comp pick formula, and the teams that the idea was supposed to protect (Bengals, Cardinals, Lions, etc) are hit and miss with benefitting from it.

I’m sure they are asking Sewell his input on KT. I worry that before his contract is up he’s wanting out . Not so much for Hutchinson as he’s local.

1 Like