Who do you want the Lions to take at 2 if Hutchinson goes 1?

I have a sneaking suspicion the Lions might have a bromance going with Sam Howell as well. Our new OC is a former North Carolina QB, and they seemed to have a good rapport at the Senior Bowl.

1 Like

It’s not intentional necessarily, but systemic. The same reasons the ACT/SAT are racist. Socioeconomics comes into play, wherein to play the game for money is frowned upon. It’s not hard to look at the backgrounds of NFL players and see that a bulk of the players come from poverty, and that most of those are black. It doesn’t prevent you from loving football, of course, and a lot of them do. But the idea that it’s a checkmark in the negative column to play for money is, IMO, an example of what in the end, is systemic racisim. But I don’t want to turn this into a political conversation which it absolutely will become if we continue down this road

1 Like

As to who to take if Hutchinson is gone, my answer begins at the 1:15 mark:

2 Likes

I don’t see that either, but I have wondered if Hutch doesn’t benefit from the previous success of high motor white D ends, in that we automatically see him as the next Watt or whatever. Does any black pass rusher garner that comparison? I cannot determine the answer, so I’ve moved on, but it was a thought.

Kinda like white db stigma, but in the other direction.

1 Like

Not trying to derail the thread, but you know if I was Deshaun Watson I would take a long hard look at making it up with the Houston Texans. But then, my ego probably isn’t as big as his. And I respect women too.

As for who to take if Hutch is gone? I don’t want to think about it. Obviously, trade down is my favorite choice.

Schnikes!

Really appreciate you taking the time to explain. Love your intention of oneness.

There is a prejudice TOWARD work ethic, passion, etc. This does not equate to a prejudice against anything or anyone. it’s a prejudice toward the best fit and winning, and it should always be there in any organization looking to win in whatever it is that they do.

Systemic winning is not systemic “against” anything. It’s merely pro winning.

I slept on the floor up through my junior year in high school (no bed and shared a room the size of a walk in closet with my 2 brothers). Tons of people from all cultures do. To assume a system is against poor is against blacks is to assume that blacks are poor…is that a systemically racist assumption?

Titles create division. We need love and mentors, and commitment to oneness everywhere.

We will ALWAYS find what we are focused on. If we are focused on fighting a bully, we often find a bully where there is no bully, hence becoming the very bully that we hate so much. This thinking creates division.

We need to focus on how to love other humans more, and how to come together as a people more. Instead of “end racism,” it’s “grow love” approach. Muuuuch more peace, when we shift that focus.

So much peace in my heart while I type this, bro. No ass-holishness at all. My only intention is opening humans into more peace.

Feel better = DO Better. People need to feel better about each other and grow past the past.

Oneness microcosm level is a football team. I want players that deepen the brotherhood/onenss of our “people.”

GoTeamHumans!!!

I really do think sports brings people of all backgrounds together, and I love that.

5 Likes

I definitely can see this…“Stigmas” are stereotypes. More boxes and labels that create separation/division.

Why is Welker/Kupp/Amendola/etc…Tate was not batched in with them, in most ppl’s minds. Its’ coming though. People are growing together, even though some of it can be painful and/or uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Brilliant. Love it.

1 Like

Thankful that it resonated, bro. Thank you.

1 Like

I guess I’ll just never understand, when making money is the driving factor for virtually all of us (and the rest of the world), why it’s frowned upon when it comes to football players. I have no issues with guys who genuinely love football. That’s great. But to downgrade guys whose motivating factor is money seems frankly un-American to me, but we do it all the time.

I agree with this 100%, but addressing the problems in the world is far different from admitting they’re there, which is all I was doing.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re grasping the rejection of Thibs correctly.
I would assume 94% + of the players in the league are maximizing their God-given talents for the betterment of their families. That doesn’t get a player dinged.

1 Like

I have said for years that NFL teams should ALL work with investment firms so that players have the opportunity to invest…create an AMAZING worst case scenario for all players. I think it would help guys to be more at peace and be able to focus more on football, keep players on the same team, instead of bailing for more money at the first opportunity, etc.

What if these guys made more money than a human could ever spend in real estate, no matter which team they played for? Stuff like that… Of course there’s some exaggeration to make a point.

I’m just bringing a humans taking care of humans approach.

Abbie Hoffman = Me

Forrest Gump= BigNatty

That’s a right on, man. You said it all.

1 Like

It’s not. I’m aware every time I see a Subway commercial that those guys are getting money from their fame.
Two separate conversations.
If you are passionate about football, it does not mean you are not money driven, and vice versa.

Focusing on the passion element. If Ebron takes plays off…I’M PISSED AF watching him stand there and let his RB get lit up.

Where do you draw a line?

A conversation about passion and what you can bring to a football game has absolutely nothing to do with financial motivation. Maybe it’s related, and maybe it is not. Different conversations.

Lack of passion…let’s call it the Ebron scale that is based on the Ebron phenomenon.

Hutch doesn’t even show up on the Ebron scale. He’s a level 0. Thibz might be a 2 (not high, but it’s there). Now consider how it impacts teammates…

1 Like

LOL - Hilarious! Thanks, man!

This is exactly what I’m talking about though. Trent Williams literally sat out an entire year cause he wanted more money and has admitted multiple times that he plays for the money. And yet when you watch him ragdoll defensive linemen or bust his ass to get in front of Deebo on one of those sweeps, you know this guy’s a professional, no matter what his motivation is.

Ebron may have been motivated by the same thing but he wasn’t a pro. That’s what I’m talking about, are you willing to EARN all that money you’re getting paid? To me that’s far, far more important than whether a guy loves football or not. Care about your career. Care enough to put yourself through the grind, because it will be a grind. There’s no avoiding it. That’s the NFL today. And to me Thibs is a classic case of a guy who will care a lot about his career.

2 Likes

Isn’t it:

1. Doesn’t love football enough.
  2. Doesn’t try hard all the time, or at least he didn’t in 2021 in a couple of games.
  3. Has interests outside of football.

I disagree with all of those, which is why I find myself defending Thibs so regularly despite having him ranked behind Hutch.

I don’t care if he doesn’t love football, I care whether he’s a pro or not. That’s on Holmes to find out.

I think he took a cautious approach to 2021 for sure, especially after getting injured the very first game, but as I’ve mentioned multiple times that doesn’t bother me. There’s a long list of NFL stars who did the same thing. And he still managed to lead the nation in pressure rate, which is the most important metric for an edge.

And every single player in the league has interests outside of football. Every last one of them. Why is it held against some prospects but not others?

2 Likes

YES!!!
IMO, has nothing to do w/race…not even flirting w/it though.

While Barry was a professional, and showed up in shape, etc…his physical advantage was SO ridiculous that it was like a high school kid playing against rocket football teams. He didn’t have the drive that Walter Payton did. Still take Sanders 10 times out of 10, because of what he brings physically.

I’ve said this earlier…IF Brad thinks the talent discrepancy is large enough, you can go for Thibz. From a group culture perspective, I’d take Hutch over Thibz.

I am not holding anything against Sewell for taking time off…or Thibz. I literally was confused by what you were seeing.

All I saw was the videos of him taking plays off. That is where I’m coming from, and I would think that if he was purple, black, white, or green.

I won’t be disappointed in the slightest, if Brad thinks Thibz is better fit. Ive said that multiple times.
Also - “doing what you need to do to earn money,” isn’t like a light switch…it’s gray scale. It’s not on or off, it’s one guy is level 10 and another guy is level 8. Passion is the difference between a level 10 and a level 8.

I love pizza. I love steak. Those are 2 different conversations. Just like I can love that I get paid to love humans and teach them to love themselves and each other…but I also love going to Disney, great restaurants, treating my people to cool shit when they come to town, traveling, etc. 2 separate but parallel conversations. The better I am at what I do, the more I can love on my humans, both indirectly and directly.

Connecting to why we do what we do AS A MAN impacts how we do our job.
If someone is talking from a standpoint of “I’m a baller, and I’m a businessman, etc, etc,”…However…“I’m gonna kick so much ass that my mom, my kids, my wife, my grandkids will NEVER…EVER…EVER…have to worry about money again.” That’s a level of grayscale too.

Motivation of humans is fascinating to delve into. I connect people to why they do what they do, and who they are as a human, not a ______ (whatever they identify as).

1 Like