Who do you want the Lions to take at 2 if Hutchinson goes 1?

I will not be happy with Thibz, but of course I’d be happy to eat crow. I’m all about the Lions, if you haven’t figured that out from my love of beans.

Thibz reminds me so much of Clowney. The play just doesn’t match the hype. The Big 10 is clearly a better conference than the Pac 12. And yet Hutch had twice the production of Thibz. And if you want to bring up injury excuses, the body language I saw just doesn’t support that view.

2 Likes

100%

I just want to claw out of the cellar and not miss any steps along the way. That’s a virtual impossibility, I realize, but that’s my underlying desire. Win in the 1st round, the 2nd round and in the 8th round (UDFA).

I’m definitely not there. Concerned? Yes. Unimpressed? Yes. Unhappy if he’s the pick? Not really. If it doesn’t work out it’s 100% on Holmes. If we turn the pick in at 8:12 pm, I’ll be on board by 8:13.

4 Likes

Only quoted this portion of your post, but this should be easy to agree with. The group think consensus guy is wrong enough often enough.

Regardless, if the Lions don’t pick consensus guys many will cry bloody murder.

Jermaine Johnson

At #2oa?

Devin Lloyd he is this years Micha Parsons

Go back and watch the 2 Utah beatdowns of Oregon and you will have your answer. Thibs stock took a huge shot because he was a non factor in the 2 biggest games of the season. The only thing I came away with after watching those games was this guy has to be injured. If not, he’s not even a 1st round pick based on that film.

I agree, I’ll be disappointed if we pick a guy 2nd overall that is clearly taking plays off on film and truly wasn’t very productive in a weaker conference. But, if Holmes and MC/DC love him and pick him, I’ll get on board and hope to be proven wrong every week.

3 Likes

Im all in on Hutch. Thibs is a distant 2nd to me. The minja hand fighting skills are huge, Thibs is yrs behind in that regard, speed to power, Hutch ankle flex Hutch. Hutch day one can be an impact player. Thibs is still raw. The upside I give zthibs, but it’s not a big difference. Thibs doesnt bend like gumby, he’s nowhere near Quinn. Hutch has a much higher floor and almost as high a ceiling.

Hutch is also better at setting the edge and as a run defender. His initial pop a d strength are better. He was much better on 21 yhan Thibs, no. 2 Heisman vote. Considered by most as the best D player if not best player in the draft. At 2, with his freak athletic profile, his character, love of the game, and leadership qualities, I take him all day ar 2 if he’s there

2 Likes

Then go back and watch the 2020 Pac-10 championship game against USC. 12 pressures, 5 tackles, 2 tackles for loss and a sack against a guy who went on to be a top 15 pick in a loaded draft class (Alijah Vera-Tucker). Thibs can get frustrated and needs to work on it, and I do think he made some business decisions in 2021, but there’s not another edge in this class who can do what he does.

1 Like

By one metric, yes. By another metric, pressure rate, Thibs led all of college football. And it’s been talked about ad nauseum how pressure rate is a far better predictor of future production than sacks.

2 Likes

Thibs doesnt set up his blocker or string together moves, and isn’t even remotely close in hand fighting, nor as powerful as Hutch. Hutch is better at all the above by a mile, and also sets the edge in the run game much better and is quick to read a play as it develops.

1 Like

I agree, and yet still he led all of college football in pressure rate. Look, I have Hutch ahead of Thibs too, I’m just arguing for Thibs because so many people want to trash him as a prospect, when in actuality he’s fantastic. He has some issues as you’ve mentioned but those can be taught, and he has the things you can’t teach in spades.

1 Like

Gotcha, im not hating on Thibs, he’s my no. 2 without a doubt.

Johnson is my #3 EDGE and if they deem that KT is a turd and they want more bendy/explosive for 3-4 OLB than Hutch, he’d be the guy I’d take. A bit steep at 2, but in a TD absolutely.

1 Like

I’m good with Thibs if Hutch is gone. Assuming he interviews well and Dan and Brad like him

After that I’d look at the DE from Perdue or Ekwonu. Hamilton is intriguing but barring a trade down it would be killing positional value to take a S at 2. He would instantly be one of the highest paid safeties in the NFL

I don’t think he gets enough credit for how much leverage he plays with. He’s got really good lean, but doesn’t play out of control.

1 Like

Thanks I will. I really think it’s possible he was playing at about 80% most of 2021 after the ankle sprain. If that’s the case and he was never healthy all year, it would explain a lot.

1 Like

You’re in for a treat. He was named the game’s MVP, and it takes a lot for a defensive lineman to be named MVP. He was outstanding.

2 Likes

Thibs looked very good, especially in the 2nd half playing with the lead. His speed rush was causing major problems for both #70 Jalen Mckenzie and #75 Vera- Tucker, who was a first round pick last year with the Jets.

That was 2020 film, but Thibs is clearly an explosive athlete, he looked much faster here than in 2021, probably because he’s healthy in 2020. He really lacks pass rushing moves though, very limited with his hands. That dip and speed rush is impressive though in that game, never saw that in either of the Utah beatdowns this year, likely because Utah was running the ball down Oregon’s throat and he didn’t have a chance to pass rush.

It was a good watch. #8 Amon-Ra making plays and scoring TD’s of course. Also #15 Drake London making plays for USC, who will be a 1st round pick in this years draft.

If you want to watch/scout Thibs and London! Here you go! Every play from USC’s Offense vs Oregon’s D. Thibs is #5. He’s lined up most often over #70 at RT.

2 Likes