Who is a 'Brad Holmes' draft pick?: Pt. 3: The Knee Cap Score

It was a curiousity question on Olu more than any desire to draft him. In my previous mocks I have grabbed Stromberg numerous times.

Yeah I had Olutwatimi on my board as 4th round pick if we can get one back in a trade down. I prefer Stromberg now as well.

4th Round reserverd for J. Martin NB @Davicus KCS?

1 Like

2 Likes

That’s a huge drop from listed RBs to Gibbs. I would not have thought that to be honest. I mean if you look at each category, there are several that no one would have predicted to be “Brads” type of player (in their view) to be selected high in rounds 1-3.

This graph/analyzation was amazingly thought out! I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the 1st 3 rounds.

Again, amazing job @Davicus !

1 Like

When it comes to RB, who really knows what Brad is looking for. He’s taken 1 RB in the draft and it’s the biggest outlier of any of his picks. Jefferson has a KCS of 5.080, which is more than 2 whole points lower than any other draft pick. Derrick Barnes is the next lowest at 7.100.

Here’s a look at all the RBs on the PFF Big Board:

1 Like

So, not like you haven’t been busy but is there any way to use your data for previous low round picks to this years 5th and 6th round picks.

I mean you probably have a life away from the board but…
I Want More GIF

2 Likes

The issue is that there isn’t really any rhyme or reason to this once you get past Day 2. I’d say anything round 4-7 you’re looking at players who have a 7+ KCS. Only Jermar Jefferson falls outside of this

2 Likes

I admire the effort you’ve put into this. I’m just going to share some random thoughts… these are not requests or criticisms, just thoughts that cross my mind on this stuff.

#1. I also appreciate the RAS effort, but find how it weights certain measurements in forming a grade to be somewhat untrustworthy. There are also estimates that are filled in for the sake of completing the grade that gives me pause.
#2. I’ve wondered this year how RAS compares to Next Gen.
It would be interesting to record the athleticism score according to Next Gen to see how it correlates to RAS. Further, it would be interesting to see how production factored into the previous 2 drafts. (By the way, Next Gen populates estimates, too, for the sake of producing a grade.)

3 Likes

Some of them still have pro days coming up. Myles Murphy is this week. Witherspoon and Tyree are scheduled to have their own as well.

Awesome work, as expected. I wonder, where do the guys we’ve visited fall in this thing? I see some of them, but I figured Jordan McFadden would be on here and I know we’ve brought or are bringing him in for a top 30 visit. Is he listed as a tackle on RAS? Because he’s 100% a guard.

1 Like

Thank you, been looking forward to this. Any idea when you’ll be putting out parts 4 & 5? :grin:

Oh, look!
Bijan is #1.
And the only QB in the top 20 is Clayton Tune, a guy who I have apparently completely slept on.

5 Likes

Good work man! This is easily better than most of the stuff I have read online. You should think about starting your own site, this is at least on par with POD.

Question: did you also take into consideration of premium positions based on the GM trends thread? The sample size for Holmes is small but feel it’s kind of relevant to what you are doing here.

Again thanks for all the time you put into this.

2 Likes

Who is a ‘Brad Holmes’ draft pick?

If it were up to me I’d make damn sure I find a way double dip the Sewell tree

Oh and please take Bijan with your first selection wherever it may be

1 Like

Can we pin this thread?
It would be handy when names are mentioned.

3 Likes

I screenshot them for quick reference lol.
I love numbers like this. Especially when it comes to our Lions lol

Lion Love GIF

2 Likes

Great work, man.
The WR scores are verrrry interesting.

And can we just put in a claim for Jack Campbell, like NOW? I am going to be so jealous of the team that drafts him.

1 Like

Great idea!
Kind of a “duh” moment for me.:rofl:

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. It could be done, but alot more work. There was a recent post about salaries by position, which could be used to down weight RB’s in round 1 for example. Im sure with the amount of work @Davicus has already done, that would be a next year project!

It’s possible, but I really wanted to keep this based on a performance/athletic scale. It gets pretty convoluted when throwing in things like Premium Positions, Needs, Character, etc, etc. Especially when it’s things that we don’t have access to - how Brad feels about certain positions, when to take them, football character of guys, etc., These things would narrow things down more, but it’s a lot easier to miss when you’re casting such a small net, if that makes sense.

1 Like

I would guess that once you get out of the first 2-3 rounds you can’t be quite as picky and I am sure many of those players are gone. So I can only go back to some things the staff has said they do in the later rounds. First, they said they like to find a guy with a particular trait that might allow him to succeed. So as we are scouring the draft board in the later rounds we can ask “what is this guys superpower?”

Another thing that was said might explain Jermar Jefferson. Brad said he would have taken him as high as the 5th round if he had a pick, and was surprised to see him still on the board in the 7th. Brad has said that he is willing to discount the importance of a kids measured athleticism if the game film and GPS data tell a different story. Jefferson was a kid who fell into the category of having a disconnect between his tested athleticism and his game day athleticism.

1 Like