Who is a 'Brad Holmes' draft pick?: Pt. 3: The Knee Cap Score

I think that I’ve finally got enough done to post at least a first version of this and put it out there. If you haven’t been following my series on looking at Brad’s draft history to try and pin-point guys the Lions might target in this year’s draft, you can catch up here:

Part 1: Who is a 'Brad Holmes' draft pick?: Diving into Brad's pick history
Part 2: Who is a 'Brad Holmes draft pick'? Pt. 2: PFF Score Eligible Players

A brief overview: I’ve been looking at PFF and RAS scores to find trends and commonalities in Brad’s drafting history. Again, if you’re not a fan of PFF, that’s fine, but they’re the grades I’m using for this dataset. In the last topic, I had combed through the trends to eliminate some players to narrow it down, just based on PFF scores. Now, I’ll be doing the same with RAS, in combination with PFF scores, to score the class based on Brad’s drafting history.

Introducing: The Knee Cap Score

What is the KCS? I won’t bore you with all the details, but it’s a weighted score blended on PFF Scores (final year and previous 2 years, with more weight applied to the final year score, which also takes snap counts into effect) and RAS scores. It is a score out of 10, with 10 being the highest and 0 being the lowest. I’m not taking character/football IQ/positional weights, etc into account. A lot of that stuff we’ll never know on how a player interviews, how much Brad drafts on ‘need’, etc, so I don’t think it’s worth trying to chart. You guys can make those distinctions on your own. This is purely a performance/athleticism dataset.

I honestly think it’s a good indicator of the type of player Brad likes or has been drafting. At least for the first 3 rounds - after that, it’s pretty unpredictable. For the sake of brevity, let’s take a look at just the Lions Day 1 & 2 draft picks over the last two years and their WRAS (Weighted RAS), WGRD (Wighted Grade) and KCS (Knee Cap Score):

PICK POS PLAYER WRAS WGRD KCS
R1.2 ED HUTCHINSON 4.940 4.725 9.665
R1.7 OT SEWELL 4.495 4.790 9.285
R1.12 WR WILLIAMS N/A 4.080 4.080
R2.41 DI ONWUZURIKE 4.365 4.125 8.490
R2.46 DL PASCHAL 4.850 4.500 9.350
R3.72 DI MCNEILL 4.255 4.535 8.790
R3.97 S JOSEPH N/A 4.520 4.520
R3.101 CB MELIFONWU 4.845 3.940 8.785

Let’s look at some observations and baseline trends. The average KCS for each round (not taking the N/A RAS scores into account, but still counting the WGRD):

• Round 1: 9.25
  • Round 2: 8.92
  • Round 3: 8.88
  • (R4: 7.12, R5: 3.07, R6: 8.75, R7: 6.28)

As you can see, at least for rounds 3, the KCS shows that players scoring into the high 8s and 9s are the guys that Brad has been taking in the first 3 rounds. In the cases of Jamo and Kerby, who didn’t have RAS scores, they had at least Weighted Grade Scores of 4.080.

The lowest KCS for any day 1 or 2 pick was Levi at 8.490, so that will serve as the cutoff for my list of players I think Brad will target for the first 3 rounds. I will also include any players that have a WGRD of 3.940 (Iffy’s WGRD) as a floor for those without a RAS. (Jamo would’ve needed an 8.84 RAS and Kerby a 7.96 for them to reach the 8.490 KCS - I think that is easily done for both of them. I will be doing these calculations for players without a RAS score, who meet the WGRD standard).

Please don’t complain if your ‘guy’ isn’t on this list. There are tons of guys I like for the Lions who didn’t make this list. This is more just to see if after the draft, if the guys the Lions select fit based on the criteria they’ve shown in the past. There is always the chance that they do something different than they have in the past.

Here is the Top 50 list as it sits now, I have the rankings sorted by their KCS ranking (those without RAS scores will not show on this list. I will make another post after this for a breakdown of each position:

Hope you enjoyed this. Feel free to ask question or for specific player’s grades on this. Curious to see how the real draft falls in line with this data.

12 Likes

Positional Boards (these include players with no RAS scores, so they are sorted by PFF Big Board ranking)

QB

RB

WR

TE

IOL

OT

DI

ED

LB

CB

S

1 Like

Great work man, I just browsed your list and seen Bijan, Campbell, Kancey at the top

Skoronski Forbes Rush Kraft also early

I’m sold I like it already !!

Where’s Nolan Smith/ Carter on this list?

2 Likes

Can’t thank you enough for all the work you’ve put into providing this, absolutely incredible! Some of the best stuff anyone has put out for us to consider.

4 Likes

Smith is an 8.805. Carter is a 4.615 WGRD (has no RAS, but would need a 7.77 to hit the arbitrary threshold).

1 Like

Levis not on list?

1 Like

No RAS and only a 3.430 WGRD. I don’t think he’s made any iteration of a list I’ve done for Brad Holmes picks. His final year PFF (68.4) really hurts him. It’d be the 3rd lowest of all Brad Holmes draft picks behind only Derrick Barnes (57.7) and Chase Lucas (60.5).

3 Likes

Bijan Robinson tops the list hmmmmm

4 Likes

Great Job Reaction GIF
Damn that is some great info definitely appreciate it.

1 Like

am I overlooking Keeanu Benton on this list or does he not qualify?

1 Like

Benton scores a 8.105. His PFF scores kill him. 73.6, 61.7, 63.7

2 Likes

Awesome stuff as always. Do you have a list of the guys that aren’t on there bc they don’t have RAS scores?

1 Like

Qualifying guys who would still make the cut based on WGRD should are included in the positional breakdowns (and include the RAS they would need to hit the 8.490 KCS):

3 Likes

Thank you for the first list and then adding the positional breakdown, great information.

Is it normal for so many of the high picks, projected first three round picks at least, to have no RAS scores?

2 Likes

Where did Olu Oluwatimi, UM center, come in?

1 Like

Looking at RAS, the only first round picks last year with no RAS were Drake London, Zion Johnson, Cole Strange, Kenyon Green, Ahmad Gardner, Evan Neal, and Jameson Williams. This year seems to have a lot more.

1 Like

2 Likes

Very nice work man, wow that took some crunching some serious numbers. Very impressive.

My question is where does Alabama RB Gibbs fall?

4 Likes

Oluwatami the more I look at him, the more I think he could be a Barret Jones dude. Great college player, but meh next level

Stromberg is way up there on the KCS

1 Like

3 Likes