Who’s a better QB? …Love, Goff or Caleb Williams

Same anti Goff posters they just coming from other direction . The still mad Lions didn’t draft way they wanted. Even when we win SB the same anti Goff people will say now we need to trade Goff, they will not say lets go for two it will be now trade him. They want to be right even if he retires a Lion they will be after him

Some posters just can’t handle being wrong

3 Likes

Goff has had two losing seasons in the NFL. Both on a rebuilding team.
He’s been to the playoffs 5 times.
He’s been to the NFC game twice.
He’s been to the Super Bowl once.
He’s been to the Pro Bowl 3 times.
There’s no competition, at this point.

5 Likes

How about Richardson? Didn’t even make it past year one.

1 Like

I was trying to pick a mobile qb who had sustained success for a period of time in the NFL. But your point is very valid, the short end are guys like richardson and RGIII. The staff was begging RGIII to slide and he wouldn’t. To me guys like rodgers are still pocket passers who can manipulate the pocket and extend plays IF they have to. We are watching Lamar try and do that.

2 Likes

Michael Vick. Dog scandal ruined his career. He was special.

2 Likes

Goff is by far the superior QB. It’s not just about arm strength or athleticism. These guys need to make split second decisions. Goff has been to two conference finals and a Superbowl because of his ability to make good decisions.

4 Likes

Yes, i am aware of michael vick. But he played for a long time and has success. Cam newton was done within 10 years. I am simply talkong about preferring a 15-18 sustain career from a pocket passer over the potentially fragile career of a mobile qb.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I have never desired a running QB. A passing QB with some escape ability, yes. I don’t know how old you are but I loved and hated Fran Tarkenton equally. If you ever got to watch him play, You’d know what I mean. He killed us.

4 Likes

Peyton Manning showed me that there is more than 1 way to bring another dimension to the QB position. I mean that guy was as bad as Goff when it came to mobility but he dominated in ways that I’ve only ever seen him do. That even includes the GOAT, Brady. Of course, you pretty much have to do away with the offensive coordinator to do what Peyton did, which really limits the pool of guys who will ever try it.

2 Likes

41, so ive seen highlights of fran and he reminds me s little of rodgers…but yeah never experienced him live.

1 Like

We’re talking about pocket passers vs dual threat style QBs. Purdy is clearly a pocket passer. No question.

Your talking about pocket awareness and all successful pocket passers need that to some degree.

My comments from the beginning were about Athletic QB’s vs. non athletic QB’s.
A QB that can extend plays and get a 1st down with their legs if needed.
Not a dual threat QB where plays are designed for him to run.
Purdy, Herbert, Burrow, Mahomes, Stroud are all examples.
They are all pocket passers that can extend plays, throw on the run and make a 1st down with legs if needed.

3 Likes

Have you seen Goff’s fiance? But seriously, Goff was a better college QB at Cal than Caleb was at USC. As a Cal fan I can say that Cal sucked. I can also say that Goff is a better quarterback now than he was then so whatever. As a Lions fan I look at Jordan Love and think FTP.

2 Likes

Goff is better. Yes, you read that right coming from me. And I never thought Goff was a bad QB.

Love is way overhyped. He’s got all the tools, but he sucked the fist half of last season. They did very good the end the season, and upset the Cowboys. But I have my doubts Love, and GB will be a good player/team.

Caleb hasn’t played yet, but I expect him to be average at best. I think he’s going to need a few years.

1 Like

I think there is a curve with QBs.

If they prove to be good. Defenses will then take notice and chart the shit out of them to try to get tendencies. Then once tendencies are found the question then becomes can the QB execute and be precise enough.

I think Love and Stroud have both passed the “they are good enough to scheme for test”. So this season both will get tested to see if they can execute.

One of the concerns I saw last season was that Chicago in particular flooded the middle of the field shutting down all those crossing and in routes and dared Goff to attack outside the hash marks. The solution to that will be JAMO and DPJ abilities to work the outside route trees effectively.

The NFL game is really just a game of cat and mouse and constant adjustments. Until you can execute in one area you are not even playing the game correctly. Once you get that ironed out you then need to scheme and force teams to choose their poison. The Lions are at the level offensively. The question is if this damn defense can get there.

2 Likes

It is crazy how Love went from meh the first 6-7 weeks to “ELITE” and making a list like this while Goff is no where to be found with multiple conference championship games and a Super Bowl appearance under his belt.

3 Likes

For real. Goffs 2021 here was similar with bad stats the first half and top four the last several games

Yet he never got any recognition for that even though the offense around him that year had way less talent then the 2023 Packers

3 Likes