Who wants Kam Chancelor? (Antonio Johnson)

I see no Dog in those numbers.

1 Like

I definitely thought that was his best game of the season. But I also think he’d struggle to keep up with slot WRs in short areas. Maybe RBs too even. He’d be great against TEs though.

IMO he had that level of foot quickness at OSU. Hard to say post achilles. From what I can recall a lot of times when he gets beat early it’s bc he gets annihilated on the release. Usually bc he’s too damn aggressive with the jam. Tale of two seasons for him though. Overall El Jefe and what to fo with him is a complicated mess.

I think probably the best thing to do is just bring him back and hope he looks like the guy we drafted again. Achilles injuries are brutal, and I’m willing to give him a little more time to become the guy we thought he was. But not unlimited time. Probably not much more than this year if he doesn’t show any physical improvement.

See I actually think that the athleticism is still there. Good enough at least. It’s the mental part. In particular he seems prone to losing his confidence which is a horrible trait for a CB.

I think he showed a lot more athleticism than I expected coming off the achilles, but I don’t think he looks like his Ohio State self. And he definitely had to get his confidence back. He’s no good to us even if he gets his athleticism back if he lacks confidence.

I would view Johnson as a replacement for Elliott. AJ has good cover skills he just lacks ball skills. he is very fluid in his change of direction for being that tall. His game has been more about jar the ball loose and make them pay after the catch. He will be one I watch closely running drills at the combine. I did not see a lot of Skinner but he did not look fluid in his change of direction again one to watch in the drills. They both bring the right attitude!

2 Likes

Chandler was AWESOME.
Love how he showex up on the field

Kam was the one that punched the ball out from Calvin in that game in Seattle.

1 Like

That’s an interesting take. I haven’t heard that before. Johnson has made his reputation in the slot since his freshman year and hasn’t really played a lot as a deep safety. His PFF grade in the slot is like an 83.

1 Like

I think it could happen. We sign an outside starter and draft a 1st round corner it makes a lot of sense.

He was my fav guy off of that defense
Tackles like an all pro LB’r, & moves like a defensive back

And he wasn’t the best Safety on that team…maybe the best secondary of all-time.

The 1994 49ers with Deion is the only one I would say was better off the top of my head. Deion and Eric Davis as the corners, with Tim McDonald and Merton Hanks at safety. Sicko

1 Like

Yeah, it’s where he played most of his snaps at A&M, but to me his PFF rating is skewed by his prowess coming downhill. He’s really fantastic at that part of the position… and I think he might be even better if he was coming from further back.

But he literally didn’t break up a single pass. I think his man coverage grade is decent because he rarely got smoked, that is, he was “close enough” most of the time, but he rarely made a play on the ball, at least in 2022. I also thinks he loses his way when he’s asked to run-and-chase laterally which is another reason I don’t want him close to the line and all this OL, and I really don’t like him in zone in the short areas of the field. He’s better with more room to see it, but he’s just seems to lose guys too often for my liking.

I also think he’s more fluid than twitchy, which also works better on the back end than trying to stick with slot receivers and RBs. He’s high cut, he’s always gonna struggle to transition.

So when I think of that all together as a prospect, I come to the conclusion that free safety is the spot to best take advantage of his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses. And if I ran a team that needed a free safety I’d definitely take a shot on him. I’m just not sure we’re that team.

Its crazy to me that he ran a 4.52 at the combine because that is exactly what I guessed on film. I am not sure what it ended up being adjusted to, but that was a cool check mark for me. I would have blew off anything much faster than that as just training hard for a time and anything much slower I would have written off as “plays faster than timed speed.” So it was cool to see it match up.

I have Sydney Brown Safety as my rd 5 pick not sure he lasts after the combine.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.