Why Carlton Davis will finally allow Detroit Lions defense to be itself

Okay, guess his entire above average career grades was do to the QBs he was playing… You’re digging yourself deeper friend…

1 Like

He’s using some weird site for those players… Nelson as a NB?? He played less than 5% of his snaps in the slot.

Damnit i just made this. He must have signed right after i looked.

Looks like he was downhill from 2019-2022 then had a comback last year and hmmm wonder why with that QB list.

Downhill?? Are you a troll? He’s been graded above average most of his career and above average 6 out of the last 7 years!! I don’t understand your hate

I just dont want to give up both our 2nd and 3rd to get him… i would consider one of them.

Yeah those guys played well in their 30s because they were 4.3 guys in their 20s… when they lost a step they still had speed

2 Likes

Old man Stephon’s brother Stephen, as an UDFA, was kept on the 53 with very minimal playing time for the entire season. They wouldn’t have done that if they didn’t see some real potential above what he flashed in preseason. He’s got the movement skills and FBI that the old man does, I think. Presumably he’s spent the last year building strength and armor.

Unless he sh*ts the bed, he’ll be on the active roster again.

1 Like

He’s got some “it” for sure. Well as much as pre-season can help identify “it” I mean.

But the instincts and playmaking he showed last preseason was encouraging.

On offense the Lions went out of their way to be certain we have weapons including Amon Ra, Jameson, Gibbs and LaPorta.

On defense Jack Campbell was a big draft investment as was Brian Branch. Iffy and Joseph were 3rd rd. picks.

If the talent is there another DB is critical. I don’t think there is a more vulnerable depth position than CB right now. Davis goes down…who replaces him? Moseley maybe but likely not early. Hell…who is the #2 CB now?

Check this out…

https://twitter.com/JustinDolloff/status/1772611581920120978

I like the chart.
The problem with DeJean is he doesn’t play much M2M so it’s hard to judge the validity of those numbers. I think Iowa was a mostly zone defense that only played M2M in specific advantaged situations.
A guy I like, Big CB Khyree Jackson is in M2M 35% and allows a 35 QB rating while also only allowing a 49 QB rating in zone.
Jackson is good against the run and a good blitzer.
We know Holmes likes big CB’s as the only true outside CB that he has drafted was Iffy (6-3, 210).
Jackson is 6’4",194 ibs., 32 3/4" arms, 4.5 40yd, 1.5 sec. 10yd.
I know his hips are a little stiff and he has only started 14 games but he can likely be had for a 3rd round pick and possibly even a trade back in the 3rd or 4th if my 1st or 2nd rd CB’s are not selected.
He can be a developmental CB to play after a vet .

1 Like

I like Khyree, Jarrian Jones and Elijah Jones for later picks. The thing that I get with the draft is that our staff has made really great choices overall, so no matter what direction they go I may be personally disappointed but will still absolutely trust their process.

3 Likes

Huh, I read somewhere where only 3% of his snaps were in man. I know Iowa is a zone heavy team.

Edit: OK, that was for press-man. So clearly he played a lot more off-man. Which… well I don’t know what that means for the way people think AG wants to play. Any of our scheme guys chime in?

Small sample size but I’ve never bought the Cooper man concerns.

I think Khyree and Carlton pressing on the outside sounds lovely.

1 Like

If you trust DraftBuzz, good breakdown but also puts man/press into a single category.

Man I think they’re vastly underestimating his speed. Also interesting that they list his role as “outside zone corner.”

I should make it clear that I’m not trying to say he can’t play press, it’s just that I have no idea. His few opportunities have been very hit or miss, but he doesn’t have a lot of experience. And he’s so good at everything else you like his chances of pulling it off. But pretty much every scouting report mention his press man struggles.

I also found this. This was compiled by Sports Info Solutions over at the 33rd Team and are based on career snaps. Now they’ve created a proprietary scoring system so make of that what you will, but it at least seems to line up pretty well with what people think of these players in press:

If you give equal weight to his first snap and last snap , well.

Yeah, flawed probably.

Though looking through the numbers, it looks like all of those came over the course of 2022 and 2023. It’s showing 0 press snaps played his first year.

Either way it’s still a very small sample size and doesn’t portend failure. But this is the reason I asked… given his scant press background and our apparent switch to heavier press man, will he be our pick? TBD I suppose.

1 Like

What is the y axis (PressTPTS per Press cov snaps) of the graph?

That proprietary score I mentioned in the original post. Here’s how it was explained where I found it: