Why Carlton Davis will finally allow Detroit Lions defense to be itself

2 Likes

This is why i want to draft another cb with top notch man skills. If only Quinyon Mitchell would fall far enough…

3 Likes

I want Dejean over there to house call for 6
Since they don’t throw at CD3 side

3 Likes

We need a #2 CB period! Mosley is nice if healthy.

But davis and mosely have injury history.
Sign a FA CB AND Draft a CB.

They really dont have enough DBs on this roster to make me feel comfortable. Last 3 seasons the lions have had to put PS players as starters because the depth wasnt there

4 Likes

Lions will have to sign more DB’s but it likely won’t happen until mid-April and after the draft. OTA’s begin April 15 and they will need more bodies in the building.
There is no urgency now and the free agents are still holding out for top dollar.
I’m not counting on anything from Mosley after not playing any significant football since 2021, and Robertson was signed as depth to compete before Sutton was released.
I agree that Holmes needs to sign a starting quality outside CB and draft a CB on the first two days.

5 Likes

@CasanovaJack1 this :arrow_up: is what I was talking about yesterday…

1 Like

True. And a lot of FA still out there want to wait till after the draft to see where they fit.

I see a couple signings all over after the draft and possibly after june1st cuts/trades

Won’t matter. We are trading up🤘

1 Like

Stephon Gilmore
Steven Nelson

Those are the only two available starting caliber FAs who I consider a fit for this defense that I’d be okay signing

1 Like

Neslon is a bit undersized for my liking. Only 5’10” more of a zone cover guy vs true CB2.

Ahkello Witherspoon is a good CB2 option.

Nelson had the 3rd best passer rating against him when in man in 2023 @ 38.2

Edit… He’s also 5’11"

32 years old in January, but maybe he’s the exception to the general rule that the wheels tend to fall of the wagon for CBs and WRs after 30.

He just had his 2nd best year as a pro, played over 1100 snaps (92% on the outside) and only missed one game due to injury… Only 3 penalties as well. He’s the perfect 1 year signing… He’s probably looking for a longer deal than that though

There’s guys who continue to excel in their low thirties, no doubt. Darius Slay is one. Darrell Green is another. But there aren’t many.

1 Like

Hes good just short.
Official measurements hes 5’ 10.125”

Im sorry hes just to short and old to be an effective cb any more.

And he played 4 games vs Tennessee and Indy. That helped boost his play

Best available UFA DBs

No Thank You Lol GIF by Max

You’re picking a weird hill to die on here… Literally every place has him listed as 5’11" post combine, maybe he grew. Too old? He literally just graded out as a well above average man corner. In fact, in his best 10 games last season according to pff coverage grading, 2 were against Tennessee/Indy (one each). His best game was against Baltimore (his 2nd worst was against them as well in the playoffs).

As you can see, his coverage is good, his tackling is good as well as his run defense. He’s literally the exact type of corner this staff is looking for… Excels in man coverage, is a good tackler and good against the run.

To simply dismiss him bc he’s 5’11 (the same height as Cam Sutton mind you) and “too old to be effective” after just having a fantastic year is, IMO, irrational.

1 Like

Look at that list of QBs.
1 Lamar week 1 rusty.
2 Ridder
3 Minshew
4 Pickett
5 Flacco
6 Burrow
7 z. Wilson
8 Tanihill
9 Murry
10 Lawrence