Why has Derrick Barnes playing time diminished?

I didn’t say he was practicing well or playing well. I said maybe he started because he might be practicing well.

I think we’ve run out of answers, except for more subtle things that you nor I can see. Can you accept that as a possible reason? If not, see what Derrick thinks. I don’t think there’s an agenda against him.

The surprising story among the linebackers is despite a prime opportunity for Barnes to jump into the starting lineup, he ends up being out-snapped by another reserve. This week, it was Pittman who kept him on the sidelines. Further complicating the decision to keep Barnes on the bench is that he opened the game with his first career sack on the game’s opening play. It appears the Lions are either still concerned with Barnes’ snap counts or he just hasn’t earned their trust.

Another sports writer perplexed by Barnes’ playing time. That is why I can’t let it go. Why do you draft a player and than not play him fairly.

I can’t agree with that statement. If Barnes is not nursing an injury and on a snap count, which I doubt, he is getting screwed over. I wish some reporter would ask either DeLeone or Glenn, what is the problem with Barnes, why is he obviously being held back?

1 Like

Not when you have other young players that are playing the position better.
Do you think that a LB that is confused is somehow going to get “not confused” or somehow know what he’s supposed to be doing just because he’s on the field?

Looking back on Barnes, maybe this is why he was moved to DE at Purdue, maybe he just can’t learn the LB position or pass coverages or whatever. Nonetheless, there’s a reason he’s not getting snaps…and until he can play better than the other young LB’s, there’s no reason to force his play until he can be better than the other LB’s.

1 Like

You make a good point. But he’s a rookie. Rookies will be inconsistent. But, it’s obvious that when he’s on the field, he makes plays.

I know that situation, I coached Barnes at the pee-wee level, he is a very smart player and an A student throughout his life, learning is not a problem for him. I know the player. He was moved to DE because of politics. A coach from Eastern Ky was hired as DC at Purdue and brought his son with him who played Barnes’ position. That coach and his son was soon sent packing and Barnes returned to his natural position. That is the ONLY reason Barnes was moved to DE.

There is not one shred of evidence that Barnes is confused on the field. I would argue his stats prove otherwise. The only negative press he has gotten is in pass coverage, but I have seen him on the sidelines in obvious run situations. I have seen him beat on 1 pass play, but I have also seen every other linebacker beat on pass plays. He pops every time he plays, that is not the mark of a confused player. I don’t know why so many won’t admit the obvious. Barnes is being at least mis-handled and at worst mistreated .

1 Like

As soon as you learn that life isn’t fair things will get easier for you. You can believe in whatever conspiracies as they relate to Barnes as you want…but neither you nor I, not beat writers know the reason for the decision made.

Finally an explanation of the hyper focus on Barnes.

4 Likes

Maybe the third option here is that he’s being protected? As in, if he has a weakness that is being attacked, perhaps they’re limiting that exposure for the team’s sake and his?

2 Likes

I dont think anyone here will have the answer you are looking for…and even if Dan Campbell or Aaron Glenn told you the reason, you wouldn’t like it or accept it.

I’d consider calling this # for your answers:
1-800-kne-biter

Yea right, with the Lion’s record, wouldn’t want to take a chance on him blowing a play and losing a game. In my eyes, this is the best time to allow him to strengthen his weaknesses on the field. The Lions’s coaching staff have not improved this talented player in a rebuilding season. I know what Barnes is capable of, I see a player who appears to be losing confidence as a result of being jacked around. The same thing that happen to him at Purdue until the AD got wind of it and fired the coach.

Hopefully he is being protected because of a lingering injury.

I Have no bones about admitting I am a fan of Barnes. I know I am somewhat bias on his behalf, but I am smart enough to consider others views; that is why I am bothering to converse concerning my views. I don’t see a problem with that. Maybe at some point someone will share some insight I haven’t considered. By the way, there are others, including sports writers that are also looking for answers. The sports writers have the ability to dig deeper into this subject and haven’t found the answer either. That is why they continue to point it out. There is not another player on the Lion’s team that have had questions raised abut there playing time or lack there of.

1 Like

I could point to Levi in this same regard. He has had his struggles but has also flashed a few times like Barnes. Many are calling Levi a bust already because he’s not contributing as much as Alim or Aman-Ra who were both drafted below him.

Every time I come to the board and see this thread with another dozen posts, it makes me feel warm and happy inside.

2 Likes

:hugs:

Show me an article where sports writers are questioning his playing time from the perspective of perplexity. If you play well you are on the field, if not you are on the bench. Again, Barnes started the game with a sack, he would need to make a huge mistake before he came out the game from my perspective, unless he has a lingering injury. No more sacks after the first 3, I think Barnes not on the field was a huge reason why there were no more sack.

Here you go:

Also mentions Barnes concussion. But the author is more concerned why Levi isn’t getting more playing time.

Here is a den forum article.

In 2017… the Browns drafyed Ogunjobi at #65 OA pick.
He played 14 games… 301 snaps.
He had 32 tackles, 4 TFLs, 0 tipped passes, 1 sack.

In 2019… Quinnen Williams was the #3 OA pick… and played 512 snaps.
He had 28 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 2.5 sacks.

Jonathan Allen… 1st round pick… only got 159 snaps in his rookie year due to season ending injury.
In half the snaps as Levi has… he made only 10 tackles, zero TFLs, 1 sack.

Levi has 13 games, 307 snaps.
He has 29 tackles, 2 TFLs, 2 passes tipped, 1 sack.

Maybe you should ask @Phunnypharm to do an analysis of Barnes versus other top rookie LBs?

1 Like

He,(Levi), was fresh off the IR. I don’t see that as a comparison. Barnes has earned playing time big difference.

Why do I hear this in Lily VonSchtupp’s voice…