Why I support this Coaching Staff and Front Office for Another Season

Just a (UPDATED) tidbit on Coleman:

At what point do the Lions fans who think like this get results-oriented?

Please tell me. I’ve been waiting a decade for it on Stafford, and I’ve been told it’s the players around him. We’re four years into Quinntricia (don’t play me the B.S. about Patricia only being here two years), and the talent is thin, the results bad, the defense the worst I’ve ever seen. Opponents chuckle after games, and tell us they knew exactly what we were doing.

So again I ask, do any of you excuse-dealers have a date you can give me where you’ll no longer give excuses? Where the results will speak for themselves, and the people brought here to take us over the hump from just squeaking into the playoffs and losing, who instead turned this into a last-place team that can’t beat the Redskins or Mitch-Effing-Trubisky, will be held to account?

I can’t believe people are blaming the CBs with the lack of pass rush. The drop off in all of our CBs is because of scam and it’s lack of a pass rush. This is also why maybe there all so disgrunted . This scam is selling the out week after week with it’s lack of rush .

1 Like

Problem with you is you label any possible reason that you don’t like as an excuse. So there isn’t any point to even attempting to answer any question you have or give a perspective bc either it’s agreeing with you or it’s an excuse…

1 Like

I don’t think our CB situation is that poor. Slay can still play a bit. I like Amani. Coleman is a solid slot. Maybe a day 2 rookie to develop and some good depth and we have a decent setup next year.

We desperately need more pass rush. You said it might be scheme more than personnel. That may be true but we are completely devoid of twitchy edge rushers. We need one desperately. Have for a long time. A chess piece pass rusher is something you can scheme pressure with. Having that plus Flowers and we’re starting to get there.

2 Likes

when your leaders are in question, your team is in question. sometimes the defense looks good and the offense looks like dog crap,

sometimes the offense looks good and the defense looks like the dog crap.

BUT, when we have a good offense or defense, we cannot seem to put them together ever.

It is always one, or thee other and not both are good.

that said, we fans don’t “need” excuses for why we are bad because your not going to win many games with a half-ass team…not even considering injuries.

WE have things called “reasons” why we are playing poorly and never need excuses why.

TO ME the label “excuses” is useless because it SOUNDS like something that has not happened on this team, REASONS we are or have lost /losing are factual based, and HAVE/HAS happened or IS happening currently. YES, there is a difference between excuses & reasons.

2 Likes

You don’t have to worry about my labels on anything.

Just tell me when the results on the field, if they continue like this, become fireable for Quinn and Patricia.

Five games into next season?

Bye?

Midseason?

End of season?

Never?

I think we will see serious focus on the DL / LB this offseason
Some act like Quinn / Patricia don’t understand what’s going on
It’s off the charts absurd
The question is, can we get the right guys to fix in one year?

Your point is right on and obvious
My guess is Hand has been the biggest loss this year
And they just don’t have enough depth yet to deal with it

The offense is trending well
Definitely can use run game help

Defense is all about improving the front 7
DBs are ok but they’ll improve talent there too if they have the opportunity

To me, there’s no question this team is close to turning the corner
And I expect Quinn to use a good chunk of his cap powder this offseason

Quinn’s end of season presser will be interesting
No doubt the usuals here will bash regardless of what is said

2 Likes

Players. Need players. And not just depth guys, but playmakers.
Specifically, we need pass-rushers.

2 Likes

I like that quote from Spielman. I think it is the question to answer and one I tried to answer with this thread. This offense has had the lead in every game this season. Then they hit bumps and our defense gets exposed. And we lose.

Should we fire a staff after two seasons esp. after we have seen some good things (in the numbers)? Yep, the losses are bad and one would not be out of line to broom everyone out. But that hasn’t helped this franchise much either.

I know it isn’t popular to say (and I believe this team deeper than many past Lions teams) but injuries and bad luck have killed this season. As much as Davis is maybe miscast in this defense to me it is clear his late high ankle sprain has played a role. Flowers wasn’t ready to go early, Mike Daniels did his thing (although he is back now), Harrison has been battling a hamstring thing all season, Hand, Bryant was only recently cleared, Slay missed games and on and on.

I think we can all agree the offense is now on solid footing with DB and Patricia along with Stafford and the QB depth we now have. That is great news. I don’t want Stafford to have to learn another system and these young QBs are also finding their way now. This off-season is all about fixing this damn defense. Can this front office and coaching staff get it done?

Concerning Slay people talk about getting rid of him because he might hold out again. IF we can get everyone on the same page I want him back. He is under contract for one more season here and it will take big bucks to keep him. I am okay with that but that is a fluid situation.

Can this staff turn this defense around? To me if you feel like maybe yes then you should want another season. If you say no then get rid of the staff and bring in another OC for the offense. I think these Quinn and Patricia know exactly what they are lacking.

Holy shit! That is not how I pictured Espnbaby.
What the hell does that even mean?

2 Likes

Move Davis to Kennards position. Saves money and it informs us if Davis is worth a 2nd contract.

Tell Daniels to use the $9m he stole to buy Oscar Pistorious’ gear. He don’t need his feet in prison anyways. Then Daniels can run TF outta here.

AShawn I like and would like to keep around as Snacks long term replacement, but he may be too expensive as a lady in waiting for a year or too.

I think we can run a 4-3 most of the time w Flowers Snacks Hand and a Real Pass Rusher, however we get one in the off-season. It’s the most obvious gaping hole in a plan since casting Martin Lawrence in any movie with Martin Lawrence.

Tavai settles in at MLB, Jones keeps his new extension, which is utterly baffling and Davis at WLB as stated.

Slay stays. Matty and Quinn wont dump top talent with their balls on the chopping block.

Melvin gets upgraded and a veteran safety comes in to settle that group down. Obiwankenobi gets more run in dime looks and gets more reps at the 2 to rest whoever we pickup.

Depth with Okwara, Ford is OK, but if they leave, fine. Same with Wilson and Killerbrew. Bryant and Strong and Long and JRM are fine as depth/ST

So, OUT: Melvin, AShawn, Kennard, Wilson, Daniels
IN-Rush End, 2CB, vet safety, plus a full year of Hand

Offense needs an OG and answers at RT and a young WR to develop as they will sellout to keep Golladay long-term, but like Tate, I think they got the best value out of Jones and move on after 2020. Vet RB too, of course, as they have to have a real backup for the next CarryOff injury. Resign JDMac too.Also Amendola.

1 Like

We also need at least one backup OT. We only have Crosby, and I’m assuming he will be next year’s starting ROT.
I’m not one that thinks this OLine is as bad as some think. Matt is having one of his best seasons. Driskel and Blough have been decent, too. That doesn’t happen with a shit Oline.

I agree, Crosby in for Wagner, save cash, but spend it, instead of playing Moneyball.

I assume they will try for a big extension on Golladay, and need $ to address CB1 and LT long term as well.

2 Likes

Here is my problem - I don’t think we really know IF Patricia (or Quinn for that matter) are the guys after two years. Very frustrating because we can blow it up now and risk another rebuild or we can spend another year hoping that they are the right guys. If they are not that is another wasted year. Here are some of my questions concerning this regime and why I just don’t know:
1 - Do we have a talent problem, an injury problem or a coaching problem?
2 - If our d-line started out in shape and healthy what would this defense look like?
3 - Why now that we are fairly healthy do we look worse than early in the season?
4 - We got turnovers early (I believe due to intensity of play) - why can’t we get them now?
5 - Is MP so hard headed that he will play the same defensive concept with key players out and try to force it to work rather than adapting to the players he has available?
6 - Do we have a position coach problem that MP wont’ fix (ala Caldwell) or will he fix but not mid season?
7 - Are the players still behind MP, some of the players or virtually none of them?
8 - Is the defensive scheme MP plans on playing going to work even when he has ALL the pieces he feels he needs?
And the list goes on and THIS is why we have a split board. None of us knows the answers to most of these questions. So there is risk either way - If we blow if up and it was going to work we really screw up. If we don’t blow it up and it does not work we are looking at a delayed and extended rebuild process again. As fans we can hope that one more year will prove the wait was worth it or that we blow it up and magically get the next great coach. So it is a coin flip which route to take.

1 Like

Righto
Playmakers…
Easier said than done

They definitely need to extend some guys this year
At least they seem to be in a good financial position

Surprised that the Lions haven’t created the position, “Full Guard”. With the abundance of OG’s on the roster, put one in at FB specifically as a blocker.

2 Likes

Great post and great points but I disagree with one.

There is no such thing as a long rebuild in 2019 in the NFL, every since the rookie wage scale was implemented teams are going from bad to good faster and faster.

If Patricia is given the boot there shouldn’t be fear of the new guy taking a while to compete.

Good coaches are able to compete with what they have in the last 25 years and that’s became even more true in the last 10.

Just looking at the 2018 coaching cycle I need to know why Frank Reich, Mike Vrabel, Jon Gruden, Matt Nagy can manufacture teams that are objectively better than Patricia’s Lions while implementing their “culture change” and scheme.

1 Like

Actually I agree - I believe you can tell within the first 6 - 8 games if a coach has IT - But I am basing this off of Detroit’s history of selecting coaches and front office personnel.

1 Like